Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM

90 posts, read 347,199 times

Advertisements

I'm a U.S. Citizen from Kentucky. At present, living in Victoria, Canada. I love reading the Newspaper every day, here. Today, I read about Wolfville, Nova Scotia becoming the first jurisdiction in Canada, to approve a ban on smoking in vehicles when there are children in the car. There are other provinces considering doing this in the near future. In the town of Wolfville, N.S. if a person is caught smoking in their vehicle, and a child is in there, the fine will be between $50 to $200 dollars. It also said the U.S. already has several states who has this ban. California is one place.
I'm not a smoker myself, and have never smoked. I refuse to ride in a vehicle with a smoker, because of my asthma and heart problems. However, I don't knock those who wish to "light up".
To me, it seems that is an invasion to ones freedom, to fine people who own their own vehicles and get fined because of "lighting up". The kids nowadays are no better than we were growing up. As a kid, I didnt have the asthma and heart problem and everywhere we went, we were around smokers.
It started off banning smoking in public places, and now outdoor patios are becoming smoke-free too. Is it not a huge "leap" to say smoking will soon be banned in our own homes?
I thought this was very interresting, and was wondering how some of you feel about this also. And is it also banned in places in Ky?
I"m really anxious to hear from you smokers and non-smokers out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 03:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
I assume it isn't banned in Kentucky, because a lot of the kids showing up for school with my child reek of cigarette smoke, etc.

My human side says "great! no more smoking in cars with kids" (without knowing the specific science, it would seem that cars are uniquely bad for exposure, so might warrant a specific ban)

My intellectual side - which incidentally "hates" rules with a passion - thinks this is getting carried away.

We like these things when they correspond with our value systems and our lifestyles, but when they encroach on something personal, then we will recognize the harm.

I sound so ... politically 'something' ... I'm not!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
I personally agree that banning smoking in cars with kids is a very good idea. Fines are more on the books than anything else....and law is more done to have people think about it and hopefully dont do it. But what areas I have read that have this law there really isnt much true enforcement. I have a 2 1/2 year old myself and when I see people smoking in cars with kids I think how that kid did not have any opinion unlike an adult. Minnesota has a total ban on attm with no smoking in bars and restuarants....before some had smoking/non-smoking sections which never did help all that much it seems as often I would be seated close enough to the smoking area to be a bother. Our son has allergies and asthma too and we would never frequent anyplace that allowed smoking nor visit anyone that allowed it their home. Now for bars....which are for adults....my opinion on smoking ban is much more relaxed as you consciously go to a bar and to some degree expect more liberal behavior there as opposed to a restuarant or other place.

I read that a couple of places in the San Francisco bay area have passed city law prohibiting smoking on any public street...park...cars...or in your apartment as smoke can affect someone else. Only place it is permitted is in your single family detached home. Belmont california has the strictest laws of anywhere. This is debatable as it may go too far....

Dan

Old 11-22-2007, 09:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I like the idea that the government is doing more to protect children in this way. If parents and other adults don't care enough about their children then clearly someone else has to step in. Children's developing respiratory systems shouldn't be exposed to smoke. Doing so with children can cause problems for them as adults.

I was exposed to ALOT of cigarette smoke while my birth Mother was pregnant with me, my doctor feels thats why I have asthma and general respiratory weakness now. I was lucky in that I was adopted by a family that did not smoke so I was not often around it as a child but by that time the damage was already done.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:42 AM

103 posts, read 447,053 times
If parents and other adults don't care enough about their children then clearly someone else has to step in.

The gov has agencies that could handle these terrible parents and remove the neglected children from them. They just need the go ahead to implement it. Not only should smokers children be taken from them, i believe obese children should be removed also. Mobile homes let off gases that are harmful for developing lungs, the children should be removed from those terrible surroundings also. We just need to mobilize and all come together to save these poor children from such heinous inept parents, and the torture they put the kids through. I really don't believe low income parents should be allowed to have, or raise children because the kids will grow up thinking just like the parents. Why should children be stuck in a home that has dangerous guns in it? For gods sake, get the children out of that home before they get shot.The gov knows what is best for us, we sure don't, the people just need to be instructed and guided, and a little enforcement put into place. It is too late for a lot of children at this moment in time, but we could help future children if we practiced some form of eugenics. I think everyone should vote Hillary in, she has our best interests at heart, and knows what is best for our children. California is an exemplary state, and i commend Pelosi on the fine job she has done.

I could go on and on, but, do you get my point?

Last edited by FreeMarketSlave; 11-22-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-22-2007, 01:56 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
I get your message FreeMarketSlave... and, you're right!

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-22-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: something weird happened to my post!

Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 PM

To me, this is not about smoking. This is about too much government.... and about the government taking away personal freedom.

Canada seems to be a leader in oppressive laws... I don't know much about other laws but for sure, they have some of the WORST dog laws in the world. What is unfortunate is that many little, elected dictator types in the United States look to them for ideas ... wanting to make their mark and show their power.

I was once a smoker who has quit. Today, I can't stand being enclosed in small spaces with smokers. I literally can't breath around cigarette smoke these days.

BUT, before you jump on this bandwagon and start asking for similar laws in our country you need to realize that your freedom is also at risk... maybe not today... YOUR freedom may be next.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-22-2007 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: left out a word...

Old 11-22-2007, 02:18 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
To me, this is not about smoking. This is about too much government.... and about the government taking away personal freedom.

Canada seems to be a leader in oppressive laws... I don't know much about other laws but for sure, they have some of the WORST dog laws in the world. What is unfortunate is that many little, elected dictator types in the United States look to them for ideas ... wanting to make their mark and show their power.

I was once a smoker who has quit. Today, I can't stand being enclosed in small spaces with smokers. I literally can't breath around cigarette smoke these days.

BUT, before you jump on this bandwagon and start asking for similar laws in our country you need to realize that your freedom is also at risk... maybe not today... YOUR freedom may be next.

Well, right ... we tend to agree about banning smoking in cars because it is an easy example - but we need to think about this in the context of less easy examples, or even examples that might affect us very directly. My neighborhood HOA just told us we shouldn't have our cats roaming outside during the day, even though they acknowledge it is legal, etc. ... made me crazy!

Old 11-22-2007, 02:38 PM

Default too many laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Well, right ... we tend to agree about banning smoking in cars because it is an easy example - but we need to think about this in the context of less easy examples, or even examples that might affect us very directly. My neighborhood HOA just told us we shouldn't have our cats roaming outside during the day, even though they acknowledge it is legal, etc. ... made me crazy!
Today, it's legal where you live. But, it sounds like you should start attending your City Council meetings and find out what new laws are being considered. Your HOA may be pushing for new laws regarding cats... all in the name of protecting the public.

I hope you don't wait around or blindly trust your elected officials to use common sense when it comes to passing these laws...

Elected officials love to write new rules. It's about little people with too much power. They don't look ahead at the unintended consequences of the laws they pass.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-22-2007 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-22-2007, 03:40 PM

90 posts, read 347,199 times
I want to thank all of you for your opinion's on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: