Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times

Advertisements

I love the older historical stlye homes and have heard that Newport and Covington are the best places to find them. I have searched and found that to be true. There are many beautiful older homes in that area. Does the
blue grass grow in that region ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I love the older historical stlye homes and have heard that Newport and Covington are the best places to find them. I have searched and found that to be true. There are many beautiful older homes in that area. Does the
blue grass grow in that region ?
For really grand old homes in NKY, I would say the top neighborhoods include the Historic River District and Wallace Woods areas of Covington, the Mansion Hill neighborhood on the East side of Newport, and parts of Ft. Thomas. Park Hills and Ft. Mitchell also have some really nice neighborhoods, but as you move farther away from the river, the properties aren't quite as historic.

As for Bluegrass, yes this area is considered part of the Bluegrass region, which stretches south just past Lexington. The grass isn't actually blue, but if it's allowed to grow to its full height (like a hayfield), bluish seed heads will form at the top of the stalks, giving the grass a slightly blue tinge.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,577 times
Default Ummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
yet another ridiculous comment from MikeK... do you even know what a hillbilly is? A truck with a rebel flag does not make you a hillbilly, it makes you a great american. I vote MikeK moves to New Jersey... whose with me?
Soooo.... i have been considering several places to live and your comment has just completely turned me off to northern KY. A rebel flag does not make you a great American because the last time i checked IT WASN'T THE UNITED STATES FLAG. And also to the next comment about college graduates...Roughly 30% is not the great!!! Thanks MikeKle...i won't make the biggest mistake of my life and move to NKY!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
^^^You are seriously going to base a life changing decision on the comment of one random person on an internet message board!!! Wow. These boards are a good resource, but I highly recommend you do a lot of research and make a visit to the area and see for yourself.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM

156 posts, read 631,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
^^^You are seriously going to base a life changing decision on the comment of one random person on an internet message board!!! Wow. These boards are a good resource, but I highly recommend you do a lot of research and make a visit to the area and see for yourself.
Hey man, if that's the way Shellybean feels, she probably is NOT going to like it around here anyway... lets be honest. If she visits, she will see for herself. This is not some progressive center, and it's better that you figure it out now than later.

We hunt. We fish. We watch Nascar. We drive trucks. We listen to country.... Get 'er done.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
You make northern KY sound like the rural south. It isn't. NKY is simply part of suburban Cincy. I don't think Confederate flags are a source of southern pride, I've yet to meet someone who flies one for anything other than a display of hatred or defiance. Futhermore, NKY was a Union strongehold, it was by no means full of Confederate sympathizers.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM

156 posts, read 631,107 times
it's a source of regional pride and rememberance for those of us whove had family line fight and die in that war. If you're against the flag, maybe you should move back to New Jersey.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
I don't think that I have seen a confederate flag in Northern Kentucky....ever. I am sure they exist but give me a break. Also, It's not a source of regional pride. I can't say I have heard anyone even bring up the civil war other than when I was in history class. Drive around park hills, fort mitchell, edgewood, villa hills, triple crown, fort thomas..etc and see if you find any...or for that matter a "hillbilly". Good Luck. Check the schools out in those areas as well...they are the best in the state. I don't know what the cincy uk guy is talking about but since he has cincy on his title how much can you really believe the guy anyway. Seriously good luck finding those toothless people anywhere around northen kentucky. That's funny and idiotic.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
There's a barn halfway btw Cincinnati & Columbus along I-71 w/ a huge Confederate Flag on it

Old 01-10-2008, 12:59 PM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I don't think that I have seen a confederate flag in Northern Kentucky....ever. I am sure they exist but give me a break. Also, It's not a source of regional pride. I can't say I have heard anyone even bring up the civil war other than when I was in history class. Drive around park hills, fort mitchell, edgewood, villa hills, triple crown, fort thomas..etc and see if you find any...or for that matter a "hillbilly". Good Luck. Check the schools out in those areas as well...they are the best in the state. I don't know what the cincy uk guy is talking about but since he has cincy on his title how much can you really believe the guy anyway. Seriously good luck finding those toothless people anywhere around northen kentucky. That's funny and idiotic.
For the most part, I would agree with you. But if we were to take a drive down into the Big Bone/Rabbit Hash area of Boone County, Southern Kenton County (KY-17 south of Piner), or Southern Campbell County, I'm sure I could point out few flying proudly.

Also, don't forget that four other counties are generally considered part of Northern Kentucky--Gallatin, Grant, Pendleton, and Bracken. These are very rural counties where "Southern Pride" runs a lot stronger and the Confederate Flag is a lot less rare.

Last edited by RuralGuy; 01-10-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky