Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat14 View Post
I wouldn't have stated it quite like Mike but of all the states I've lived or visited in... Kentucky is very populated with hillbillies. Many proud of it. If you're from out west or other such states you will notice it instantly. I don't think most even realize they're um, backwoods because they never leave KY. Well, some visit OH or IN and TN but there you go. Winters are wet, windy, gray and longggggg. Summers are humid and BUGGY!
And someone having a negative or differing opinion than your own doesn't constitute trolling, but it does make you bias for saying so.
Desert rat is a good name for you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:43 PM

137 posts, read 446,545 times
It is so nice to hear so many nice things about Northern Kentucky (my area)! Most of the posts on here have been true to the area and realize what a great place Northern Kentucky is!!! I am glad to live here and know that it is a great place to live. By the way to the original question that was asked, "yes" Union is a nice place to live! I would also look into Independence and Burlington. Are you wanting to live in a rural area here in NKY?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM

137 posts, read 446,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
slightly too conservative politically for me
That is one of the main things I really like about it! Like the rest of the South, Northern Kentucky it is very conservative politically.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 AM

30 posts, read 118,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. My Granparents are from Southern California, when they moved here they loved it. Tell me something please, if you live in the middle of any state and you drive to the middle of another, who can't tell they are in a diffrent culture? I'm not sure where out west you are from, but ever state there has something wrong. Do you live in AZ, NM, Southern Cal? If so you think I cant notice people that have are there Illegally. Or maybe Utah, CO, OR, WA, MY, WY, or N Cal? If so no room to talk there, some of the most rural areas I have ever seen are there, even more so than KY, I mean who likes to drive 90+ miles to the nearist Lows? Nothing is wrong with these states, or the people there, just like here. So to say it is "backwoods", not really sure what the point in that was, is not only rude, but shows the lack of intelligence/knowledge you have about other locations. Looks like your the one who does't "get out much". (ps if I left out any letter "U" sorry, it gets stuck lol)
Billy Ray Cyrus made a proud documentary that went into depth about KY and its hillbillies. It was three hours of banjo playing, moonshining, grammar ( "you know'd wut we done and we was goin' " say goodbye to the verb were ) destroying information. It covered the ENTIRE state. Entire. And I have been from one end to the other ( unfortunately ) and there are hillbillies covering the state. They wouldn't be any happier with you denying their existence. Many revel in that status. Many people live in rural sections of states but aren't backwoods. Many. There's a reason cartoons and jokes have been created for so many years about states like KY. It wasn't a random choice. The state holds some great records * most overweight, most smokers, worst teeth to name a few * So thank you for trolling about my differing opinion ( which I based upon experience ). I've been from CA to FL ( several points in between ) and overseas. I get out enough. I also stand by my opinion that the weather in KY ..... ( simplified ) sucks. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go try and wash the vision of men ( and women )wearing camoflauge year round as daily wear, filthy baseball caps, abandoned trailors in fields, pregnant women smoking ( states fav past time ), and brown ( or none ) teeth out of my ' dadgum ' mind. Good day!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I don't think that I have seen a confederate flag in Northern Kentucky....ever. I am sure they exist but give me a break. Also, It's not a source of regional pride. I can't say I have heard anyone even bring up the civil war other than when I was in history class. Drive around park hills, fort mitchell, edgewood, villa hills, triple crown, fort thomas..etc and see if you find any...or for that matter a "hillbilly". Good Luck. Check the schools out in those areas as well...they are the best in the state. I don't know what the cincy uk guy is talking about but since he has cincy on his title how much can you really believe the guy anyway. Seriously good luck finding those toothless people anywhere around northen kentucky. That's funny and idiotic.
Ky is the 13Th and central (Middle) star on the Battle Flag and we are very proud of it , the Confederate President Jefferson Davis was born in Ky, an NKY has 2 High school,s (DIXIE IN KENTON Co. and BOONE Co.) that Have Confederate Mascots Waving Battle Flags, KY has several non Hatred Southern pride Heritage groups including SONS of CONFEDERATE VET's and ORDER OF THE CONFEDERATE ROSE to name a couple, Me and Many of my friends proudly fly the Battle flag for all to see around Kenton and Boone Counties, so Look a little closer.

Last edited by CSA KY; 02-16-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 68,766 times
I am from CA, and I have been to northern KY twice, and both times, I wished I would have avoided it! That area is full of hill-billies, the posts about this not being true are from people that live there, and they do not even realize what they are! I think if most of them would venture out into the rest of the country, it would open their eyes, and they would probably never go back! Mostly what I saw is the people in northern KY think they are better than their fellow southerners from the state, I guess there is different classes of hill-billies now?! But to me, they ALL seemed like hill-billies!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,995,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk75 View Post
I am from CA, and I have been to northern KY twice, and both times, I wished I would have avoided it! That area is full of hill-billies, the posts about this not being true are from people that live there, and they do not even realize what they are! I think if most of them would venture out into the rest of the country, it would open their eyes, and they would probably never go back! Mostly what I saw is the people in northern KY think they are better than their fellow southerners from the state, I guess there is different classes of hill-billies now?! But to me, they ALL seemed like hill-billies!
Well alrighty then!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM

28 posts, read 67,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_express02 View Post
We are looking at moving to Union, KY. Can anyone tell me anything about this area?????? We are moving from the Twin Cities, MN

Union is very nice. A lot of new development. The schools are top notch public schools. There is easy access to I-75 for commuting. You'll like it there.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Pros:
a. Proximity to Cincinnati
b. Nice, historic housing stock, especially in Ft. Thomas, Bellevue, Ludlow.
c. Nice suburbs that feel rural but are close to the city, such as Villa Hills and Edgewood.
d. Northern Kentucky University and Thomas More College are great for busy, working professionals.
e. Housing stock and property taxes are cheaper than across the river.
f. Good nightlife in Mainstrasse and at Newport on the Levee.
g. Easy access to a very nice and easy-to-navigate airport, CVG.
h. The best views of Downtown Cincinnati are from Covington, KY.
i. Local Cincinnati cuisine (people are obsessed with Skyline Chili, but the best is Dixie Chili!)

Cons:
a. General quality of public schools in the NKY suburbs is worse than in the OH suburbs.
b. It's actually less conducive for young, renting singles to live in NKY when compared to Cincy.
c. Car taxes = through the roof, but then this is Kentucky in general.
d. People in NKY/Cincy in general can be either really friendly or really standoffish and cliquish, although not as bad as Louisville.
e. Commuting into Cincy on the Big Mac or Brent Spence bridges can be about like driving in L.A. or Atlanta: near gridlock.
f. Not as progressive as Cincinnati in terms of developing bike trails and lanes and setting aside land for great recreational opportunities.
g. Lower income, older river communities (i.e.: Covington, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow, Bromley) have clusters of Scots-Irish Appalachian white trash; I don't like the E. KY/WV/S.E. Ohio feel in parts of those areas.

I actually prefer Cincinnati myself for a whole host of reasons, but Northern KY is a great and immediately close-by alternative. The tri-county NKY area is, in fact, the only area of KY I can honestly say that I like.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-23-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 AM

23 posts, read 73,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
g. Lower income, older river communities (i.e.: Covington, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow, Bromley) have clusters of Scots-Irish Appalachian white trash; I don't like the E. KY/WV/S.E. Ohio feel in parts of those areas.

I actually prefer Cincinnati myself for a whole host of reasons, but Northern KY is a great and immediately close-by alternative. The tri-county NKY area is, in fact, the only area of KY I can honestly say that I like.
People came here to look for work and not to claim a spot on section 8. You know they had bridges back then too right? It's not like people made it to this end of Kentucky and stopped. There's probably an equal if not higher number of Appalachian transplants on that side of the river. Beings you've already been acknowledged as a hater you might as well make that longs list of why you prefer Cincy over NKY. Entertain us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky