U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM

554 posts, read 1,351,192 times

Advertisements

I stand by my post. That particular forum on that website has posters on it from all over Kentucky, including NKY and all 7 bordering states, plus New York of all places. I just used the Paducah forum as an example. If people from Kentucky do not want to be associated with one little city in their own state, that's their issue. Trying to separate or escape from it is useless.

Just like some people that live in Denver, Colorado don't want to be associated with Boulder. Too bad, they're all still Coloradoans. That's just a fact and it can't be denied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM

308 posts, read 524,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
If anybody really wants to get a "feel" for Northern Kentucky, all they need to do is visit one little website that pretty much sums it up. Google "[domain blocked due to spam]" and find the Paducah Forum. Read what are some of the most hottest conversations happening right now in NKY.

After you fall on the floor and get back up in your chair, then decide if any of those conversations are "pro's" or "con's" for living there. Because those are the type of people that know everyone, patronize the bars and restaurants and could be your potential neighbors.
Are you quoting something you read/posted on [domain blocked due to spam]? Wow...that pretty much tells me all I need to know about you. If you are looking for just a similarity of facts, don't go to [domain blocked due to spam]. [domain blocked due to spam] is the cesspool of the internet.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,449,496 times
Yeah, you find the same kind of thing on ALL of the forums.

I'd recommend OP go to Newport for a day, spend the afternoon shopping on the levee, cruise up to the 'natti to explore and photograph some of America's most diverse and unique architecture, and at night take in a concert at the Madison Theater in Covington.

That's how I passed much my time when staying 2 weeks in Cincinnati as a 19 year old. Good times. I'd play soccer at Devou, drive the winding roads in Mt. Airy with the windows down, listening to music as loud as my car would play it, laughing with "them damn rednecks from Kentucky" aka a group of my friends in the area which contained multiple nationalities and many backgrounds, none of them "redneck" or "hillbilly".

But yeah, anyone who takes [domain blocked due to spam] seriously is probably the kind of person dumb enough to post on there as well. I DEFINITELY wouldn't take a [domain blocked due to spam] page from 300 miles away as a good example of NKY culture. That's like comparing NYC to Buffalo... Or NYC to Plattsburgh, for that matter.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 67,428 times
Interesting thread, I was born and raised here in northern KY and while Ive been other places, this has always been my "home", yet northern KY is somewhat odd. Yes, there are more than plenty of the good ole boy hillbilly rednecks type with their jacked up trucks, smoke stacks, and rebel flags, but the 3 counties as a whole like to consider themselves more as an extension of cincinnati than kentuckians, as it always surprises me to see so many UK fans here, I thought theyd all be for UC or an OH team? and not to mention, cincinnatis main airport is actually in KY, and the make it worse, it is so far out in the sticks, it is the butt of many jokes, but Ive heard Cincinnati is going to redevelop Lunken since its much more convenient for business travelers, Ive heard from people in my company how annoying it is to fly into CVG yet it takes another 40 minutes to get to cincinnati! I think the further south in ky you go, the better it is, louisville is beautiful, as is the morehead area. Northern KY just doesnt have that "KY feel" to it, hard to explain?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,014,792 times
According to Mapquest, it is 13 miles/20 minutes from CVG to Fountain Square in downtown. It MIGHT take 40 minutes in really bad traffic but airports are typically on the edge of cities not right downtown, barring a few exceptions.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
I've lived here all my life and if you love "fly over" country and the edge of "the rust belt" where the only art museums are under fridge magnets on a grade school kids parent's fridge and if you love libraries with 6,500 books in them max and if you love the children's section being the biggest in your local library and if you love having no cultural centers whatsoever and if love history museums where the only thing interesting is a "coonskin cap" and if you love the irony of snobbish hillbillies then you'll love Northern Kentucky. If you love a state that is ranked 50th out of 50 states in everything across the board you'll love NKY. I'd also check Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties toxic chemical levels @ [url]http://scorecard.goodguide.com[/url] you just might be literally frightened by what you find out. Also look closely at the education system in NKY. While NKY claims it has good schools I know for a fact that manuscript, for one small example, is not being taught in NKY schools for most part. The education system here is far below the national average. The crime rate here is hidden by politicians who seek to cover up criminal activity rather than deal with it ( makes each NKY community look pleasing to the eyes of outsiders looking in ) There is also a huge heroin problem here and needles are common place in parks all over NKY ( danger to children ) There are no decent restaurants here to choose from unless you think "long horn steak house" or "quaker steak and lube" is high class dining. "Ethan Allen" furniture tried to stay in the Florence, Ky area, but ending up moving within 90 days of building and moving into a brand new store front because these hillbillies look the part, but can't carry the weight. Yeah one thing's for sure if you're looking to waste any time at all and throw the opportunities of your children down the drain then you'll come here to live, work and raise a family.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,729,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1974 View Post
Interesting thread, I was born and raised here in northern KY and while Ive been other places, this has always been my "home", yet northern KY is somewhat odd. Yes, there are more than plenty of the good ole boy hillbilly rednecks type with their jacked up trucks, smoke stacks, and rebel flags, but the 3 counties as a whole like to consider themselves more as an extension of cincinnati than kentuckians, as it always surprises me to see so many UK fans here, I thought theyd all be for UC or an OH team? and not to mention, cincinnatis main airport is actually in KY, and the make it worse, it is so far out in the sticks, it is the butt of many jokes, but Ive heard Cincinnati is going to redevelop Lunken since its much more convenient for business travelers, Ive heard from people in my company how annoying it is to fly into CVG yet it takes another 40 minutes to get to cincinnati! I think the further south in ky you go, the better it is, louisville is beautiful, as is the morehead area. Northern KY just doesnt have that "KY feel" to it, hard to explain?
Maybe it's because the UP of Kentucky ( the 3 northernmost counties ) have been invaded by Ohioans and Indiana Hooisers? My friend who lives in Boone county, she's as Kentuckian as can be and she says there's ALOT of folks coming in that are from Ohio and also other areas of the US. She said when she was younger and there were lot's more local natives there, it resembled the rest of Kentucky much much more. Even so, Atlanta Ga is kind of the same way, it's become so cosmopolitan with people coming in from everywhere, it resembles the rest of Georgia less and less all the time.

Besides, I have a cousin that was born and raised in Campbell Co, he's as Kentuckian as they come and would fit in anywhere in the state...he has a Kentucky draw, lives on a farm with a few horses and loves country living, small town life.....if..one wants to imply that this would be considered "Kentucky living"

Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 AM

817 posts, read 1,219,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillies101 View Post
I've lived here all my life and if you love "fly over" country and the edge of "the rust belt" where the only art museums are under fridge magnets on a grade school kids parent's fridge and if you love libraries with 6,500 books in them max and if you love the children's section being the biggest in your local library and if you love having no cultural centers whatsoever and if love history museums where the only thing interesting is a "coonskin cap" and if you love the irony of snobbish hillbillies then you'll love Northern Kentucky. If you love a state that is ranked 50th out of 50 states in everything across the board you'll love NKY. I'd also check Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties toxic chemical levels @ Scorecard Home you just might be literally frightened by what you find out. Also look closely at the education system in NKY. While NKY claims it has good schools I know for a fact that manuscript, for one small example, is not being taught in NKY schools for most part. The education system here is far below the national average. The crime rate here is hidden by politicians who seek to cover up criminal activity rather than deal with it ( makes each NKY community look pleasing to the eyes of outsiders looking in ) There is also a huge heroin problem here and needles are common place in parks all over NKY ( danger to children ) There are no decent restaurants here to choose from unless you think "long horn steak house" or "quaker steak and lube" is high class dining. "Ethan Allen" furniture tried to stay in the Florence, Ky area, but ending up moving within 90 days of building and moving into a brand new store front because these hillbillies look the part, but can't carry the weight. Yeah one thing's for sure if you're looking to waste any time at all and throw the opportunities of your children down the drain then you'll come here to live, work and raise a family.

Hillbillies?...I resemble that statement. Just not the snob part. Those are the childern of the Kentuckians that moved to Cincinnati back in the forty's and fifties.

Don't hold back,101, tell it like it is.

Another "one and done"...I often wonder where all these people come from all the sudden. You don't need to hide under another name...we're all family here.

On the other hand, like a lot of descriptions here, a little/lot exaggerated but, not too far off nun the less. I'm sure nothing a little money wouldn't take care of, after all, it is the "Golden Triangle".

Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Pros:
a. Proximity to Cincinnati
b. Nice, historic housing stock, especially in Ft. Thomas, Bellevue, Ludlow.
c. Nice suburbs that feel rural but are close to the city, such as Villa Hills and Edgewood.
d. Northern Kentucky University and Thomas More College are great for busy, working professionals.
e. Housing stock and property taxes are cheaper than across the river.
f. Good nightlife in Mainstrasse and at Newport on the Levee.
g. Easy access to a very nice and easy-to-navigate airport, CVG.
h. The best views of Downtown Cincinnati are from Covington, KY.
i. Local Cincinnati cuisine (people are obsessed with Skyline Chili, but the best is Dixie Chili!)

Cons:
a. General quality of public schools in the NKY suburbs is worse than in the OH suburbs.
b. It's actually less conducive for young, renting singles to live in NKY when compared to Cincy.
c. Car taxes = through the roof, but then this is Kentucky in general.
d. People in NKY/Cincy in general can be either really friendly or really standoffish and cliquish, although not as bad as Louisville.
e. Commuting into Cincy on the Big Mac or Brent Spence bridges can be about like driving in L.A. or Atlanta: near gridlock.
f. Not as progressive as Cincinnati in terms of developing bike trails and lanes and setting aside land for great recreational opportunities.
g. Lower income, older river communities (i.e.: Covington, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow, Bromley) have clusters of Scots-Irish Appalachian white trash; I don't like the E. KY/WV/S.E. Ohio feel in parts of those areas.

I actually prefer Cincinnati myself for a whole host of reasons, but Northern KY is a great and immediately close-by alternative. The tri-county NKY area is, in fact, the only area of KY I can honestly say that I like.
I know this is an old post. But some of the comments by these people are absolutely disgusting. "white trash", "scots-irish" etc...elitist? Racist? Arrogant?

I'm not from the area, but I enjoyed living in Louisville, if nothing else for being near the Ohio river and history of the city. People can range from awesomely nice, to flat out jerks - but that's ANY city in ANY state. Northern Kentucky is an extension of Cincinnati...the river proximity and rolling hills are beautiful compared to most other regions of Ohio - flat and boring. I prefer to be around 'rednecks' than ghetto rats that rob and kill. Oh, wait, see what I did there???

Old 12-02-2015, 05:50 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,167,316 times
What specific website is everyone talking about, that's "blocked due to spam"? Is it facebook, twitter, [domain blocked due to spam], linkedin, or what?

Edited to add: Never mind, it was one of the ones I mentioned, and was "blocked due to spam" when I mentioned it, so now I know which one it is. Typical. Or should I say topical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky