U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 PM

58 posts, read 199,978 times

Advertisements

Well I am partial to Boone County and you can still find it here. But its pricey. We are going to go a little farther south. Like Gallitan County. I do not know much about Cambell County but there are rural areas there. We however are willing to make a small drive to get to the city. But if you wanted that feel I would say once you pass Walton you'll start thinking Lex or Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM

58 posts, read 199,978 times
esya Colorado sounds great but is just a dream to me. I would love to go there with my horses but family keeps us here.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,174,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Pretty much . . . .

Oh c'mon . . . that's basic driver ed -- green means "go" . . . yellow means "go faster"!!!

And red means there is time for 1 more car!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,834 times
Default Wimp..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle
I do not know why the people here are so proud of this area? I have lived in CA,FL and NV and have never seen such a strange area. The first thing I noticed was the lack of any kind of natural attractions,most of the lakes Ive seen are very small and filthy,however Southern KY is beautiful with mountains,lakes,forest areas,etc.The second thing is the weather,in the summer it is always very hot and very humid and in winter it is common to see single digit temps!!also the weather patterns stay the same for weeks at a time,providing no breaks from the extreme conditions.There is few days you can open your windows and doors! I believe these things are a major factor in the cost of living here, horrible weather all year and nothing to see! The cheap cost of living must be the reason people stay.Finally I noticed people always go thru yellow lights,in the other places Ive lived that is a big no-no usually resulting in blowing horns and obscene gestures,but here it seems to be the "norm".I truly feel sorry for the people that have lived their whole lives here,they have no idea what they are missing.Hopefully I will only have to endure another 6 months here.
Yellow lights offend you? Heck, you should see people at night, when nobody is around. Or for that matter, some of the cops in the bigger cities. I love living in kentucky. I've been in a few other states in my years, and would not trade anything for where I am now. It's called VARIETY. In the Winter time, it's supposed to be COLD. Not 89 degree's, with slight gust's of wind from the south-southeast at 4 mph.
Kentucky is where I was born, and it will be where I will die. ( Unless God see's fit that I win the lottery, so that I can own half of Scottland, then I will get to choose where I die.. ) I will have to agree with you, Northern kentucky is a little on the down side of the rest of the state. I can only think of one reason for that.. The Northern part of the state is where Ohio is. The BUCKEYE state. You know as well as I do that buckeye's are poisonous; Not to mention, that they tend to bring down everything around them. A crazed squirrel would'nt even attempt to eat one.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,064 times
Ive lived here my whole life and visited NY,NJ, Fla. WV, SC.Va and several others in between and if yellow lights is your only complaint then thank your lucky stars, how about just rude obnoxious uncaring people in general. We might not have beautiful manicured man made lakes, you just need to know where to go to find the natural ones. That means you might just have to make a few friends in the area to show you.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 AM

17,702 posts, read 8,854,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Kstutler, where would look to escape the development in northern kentucky but still keep that Ohio-Kentucky feel? I am also formerly from southern Ohio (not in cincy) and am looking to escape from the dry air, cold and hot, of Colorado, as soon as I can.

Escape from Colorado to go back to Ohio? You're joking.......right?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 PM

197 posts, read 675,614 times
I just don't see the appeal of living in northern Kentucky. I'm about 30 minutes north of the Georgetown/Lexington area, and much of this part of the state is being changed from rolling hills and beautiful farms, into subdivisions full of cookie cutter homes,or tracts with ugly, white modular (glorified mobile homes) homes. It truly is getting ugly here. Just over a week ago my family and I were in the Boone and Campbell County areas, and up in Covington. I mean, YUCK! I don't know what was worse, the run-down towns or the excessive development with homes like what I described above. You couldn't PAY me to live in that area.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 AM

11 posts, read 38,880 times
I love it here. As for it being hot in the summer...well uh duh! And about the winters? I have lived here practically my whole life and have never known of the temps getting into the single digits. Kentucky will be better off without another big city pain in the butt, who thinks he knows everything because he has lived in a few other places. As for the yellow lights? It's not illegal to drive thru a yellow light as long as you get thru it before it turns red. And if you blow your horn and give me an obscene gesture, you better hope i don't see you in a dark alley.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 10,104 times
I live in Union. Lived in Ca for 28 years. Outside of SF. Lived in Ms for 6 years before this. When we moved here 6 years ago, I loved it. Such a step up from Ms. At least we had Starbucks and a Target! Being that Cincinnati is so close I go there often to Kenwood and Trader Joes. There are alot of good things about this area. Not alot of traffic, pretty surroundings, inexpensive housing. The drawbacks in my opinion and maybe it's because I know better because I lived in Ca for so long, is that it is pretty close minded and very conservative. My son played football for awhile but ended up quitting because he didn't conform to the good old boys. He's also a musician who would wear band shirts which he would be called gay for. Just shows how narrow minded some can be. I guess it's fear of the unknown. My son is well liked and very good looking, but he doesn't care to follow what this town expects is the "normal" If you dress in not khakis and a polo shirt or palid shirt you are looked down upon. My husband is in the music indusrty and is also from Ca and dresses very hip. In New York, Chicago, or Ca no one would look twice. We are debabting wheter to move back to Ca. LA area which I'm not happy about. Overall it's a good place. Lacking in alot of things, such as we just got the first Frozen yogurt shop about 6 weeks ago. If you are into chains such as Olive Garden, Red Lobster you are good to go here. I personally like non chains and healthier options. The majority of people here are extremly overweight and have a cigarette dangling from their finger. They still have smoking and non smoking in restaurants. So there are good and bad everywhere. Just depends on what is important to you.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refinnej06 View Post
I love it here. As for it being hot in the summer...well uh duh! And about the winters? I have lived here practically my whole life and have never known of the temps getting into the single digits. Kentucky will be better off without another big city pain in the butt, who thinks he knows everything because he has lived in a few other places. As for the yellow lights? It's not illegal to drive thru a yellow light as long as you get thru it before it turns red. And if you blow your horn and give me an obscene gesture, you better hope i don't see you in a dark alley.

I have only been here 6 years and yes it has gotten in the single digits several times. I watch the morning weather before my kids leave for school and many times it would be 8 degrees as an example at 8 am. "Big city pain in the butts " sounds to me like you are slightly intimated by. Again fear of the unkown and comfortable in small town mentality. There is a whole big great world out there besides this place. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky