Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 PM

19 posts, read 134,822 times

Advertisements

I do not know why the people here are so proud of this area? I have lived in CA,FL and NV and have never seen such a strange area. The first thing I noticed was the lack of any kind of natural attractions,most of the lakes Ive seen are very small and filthy,however Southern KY is beautiful with mountains,lakes,forest areas,etc.The second thing is the weather,in the summer it is always very hot and very humid and in winter it is common to see single digit temps!!also the weather patterns stay the same for weeks at a time,providing no breaks from the extreme conditions.There is few days you can open your windows and doors! I believe these things are a major factor in the cost of living here, horrible weather all year and nothing to see! The cheap cost of living must be the reason people stay.Finally I noticed people always go thru yellow lights,in the other places Ive lived that is a big no-no usually resulting in blowing horns and obscene gestures,but here it seems to be the "norm".I truly feel sorry for the people that have lived their whole lives here,they have no idea what they are missing.Hopefully I will only have to endure another 6 months here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM

145 posts, read 518,537 times
as an airline pilot in my former profession and traveling all over the united states I wouldn't trade nothern kentucky for anything. The cost of living is low, access to a major city, terrific cities with a lot of character, the seasons, excellent schools...I could keep going. I've never heard someone not like an area due to yellow lights. As far as the weather is concerned...San Diego is beautiful pretty much all year round...how's the cost of living there. It's a trade off...no place is perfect.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times
Can't say I've heard of yellow light behavior as being a major issue regarding where to live before, nor the fact that there are no natural lakes? Have you noticed there is a big river around there? And tThere are lots of places in the country that have hot summers and cold winters; northern KY is hardly unique in that aspect.
Hopefully you will find a place that has everything you want - but most places have some drawbacks.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I do not know why the people here are so proud of this area? . . . The cheap cost of living must be the reason people stay.
Pretty much . . . .

Quote:
Finally I noticed people always go thru yellow lights,in the other places Ive lived that is a big no-no usually resulting in blowing horns and obscene gestures,but here it seems to be the "norm".
Oh c'mon . . . that's basic driver ed -- green means "go" . . . yellow means "go faster"!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:04 PM

96 posts, read 356,697 times
Not from there but have tons of relatives that live there and I have always loved northern Kentucky....it's beautiful up there. I agree yellow does mean go faster LOL

Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM

156 posts, read 631,242 times
Arrow Good Riddance

Quote:
I do not know why the people here are so proud of this area? I have lived in CA,FL and NV and have never seen such a strange area. The first thing I noticed was the lack of any kind of natural attractions,most of the lakes Ive seen are very small and filthy,however Southern KY is beautiful with mountains,lakes,forest areas,etc.The second thing is the weather,in the summer it is always very hot and very humid and in winter it is common to see single digit temps!!also the weather patterns stay the same for weeks at a time,providing no breaks from the extreme conditions.There is few days you can open your windows and doors! I believe these things are a major factor in the cost of living here, horrible weather all year and nothing to see! The cheap cost of living must be the reason people stay.Finally I noticed people always go thru yellow lights,in the other places Ive lived that is a big no-no usually resulting in blowing horns and obscene gestures,but here it seems to be the "norm".I truly feel sorry for the people that have lived their whole lives here,they have no idea what they are missing.Hopefully I will only have to endure another 6 months here.
Mike, I can agree with you on one thing: I also hope you will not have to endure more than 6 more months here... heck, maybe you can do us all a favor and just be on your way right now back to California or New York or wherever else you're from that is so sweet. I'm willing to bet the main reason you don't like it around here is simple: the people don't like you. Outsiders, especially with your kind of big city attitude, don't fair particularly well.

Common single digit temps? Are you serious? The coldest month in the nati is January with the average historical temp above 30 degrees even then (Cincinnati, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I play golf no problem 10 months a year.

Always go through yellow lights???? What does that even mean? I can't believe I am even wasting my time responding to this post.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM

17 posts, read 72,225 times
I've lived in 4 states (none of which is Kentucky) and in all 4 if you stop for a yellow light you risk getting rear-ended.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 AM

149 posts, read 764,228 times
Quote:
Finally I noticed people always go thru yellow lights,in the other places Ive lived that is a big no-no usually resulting in blowing horns and obscene gestures,but here it seems to be the "norm".
D'ye feel homesick without alot of hollering and horn blowing at intersections?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM

58 posts, read 216,199 times
Northern Kentucky is a very nice place to live. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be. I was raised in Ohio and do not desire at all to return. However, I will tell you that Northern Ky. is booming and they are knocking on my back door. It is heart breaking to see all the beautiful farms in Union GONE! These developers just don't know when to quit. Everywhere you look a farm is demolished, there are bull dozers trashing mother natures design. The animals are then without their homes and all to bring more people. At present even without Christmas Hwy 42 is jammed up. They just keep building more houses. The housing crunch has slowed them some but not for long I am sure. Again the area is very nice but for my family personally just as soon as my defective home builder makes our situation RIGHT we are headed farther south. We bought 9 acres here just outside of Union and now realize that horses and cows make great neighbors. So you can find city life, suburban and rural in Northern Ky. So we will look for 50 to 100 acres. To each his own! But that Mike dude has some issues that will follow him where ever he goes. Oh, by the way I do slow down for YELLOW lights that is what I learned many moons ago when taking drivers ed. So if you hit my car in the a$$ loaded with my kids I hope that you can run fast too if someone is hurt. LOL

Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,391 times
Kstutler, where would look to escape the development in northern kentucky but still keep that Ohio-Kentucky feel? I am also formerly from southern Ohio (not in cincy) and am looking to escape from the dry air, cold and hot, of Colorado, as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky