U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM

51 posts, read 121,407 times

Advertisements

HI, I am a Realtor looking to relocate closer to my family in the South. I am originally from FL, moved to Montana and now am looking to get within a long days drive of FL. I do not like FL at all, but will need to be able to visit family, and be close enough for them to visit us. We are struggling to make decision about where to move. We are considering Cookeville, TN or Bowling Green, KY, or any other city that is not too big, but can still provide enough home sales to let me earn a living. My criteria are as follows:

1. Good place to serve God and many options for church.
2. Growing city with a decent housing market, with enough movement to provide decent turnover of housing inventory.
3. Good schools for my young kids. (doesn't have to be TOP in the NATION) just good.
4. It is also very important to have great hunting and fishing nearby.
5. Lastly, I need 4 good seasons, and would love to have at least a couple snows each year. ( I realize I won't get near what I get in Montana, but would still like at least a few inches each year)

ANY input would be great. BTW we are moving before spring 08 no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM

486 posts, read 1,707,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewheresouth View Post
HI, I am a Realtor looking to relocate closer to my family in the South. I am originally from FL, moved to Montana and now am looking to get within a long days drive of FL. I do not like FL at all, but will need to be able to visit family, and be close enough for them to visit us. We are struggling to make decision about where to move. We are considering Cookeville, TN or Bowling Green, KY, or any other city that is not too big, but can still provide enough home sales to let me earn a living. My criteria are as follows:

2. Growing city with a decent housing market, with enough movement to provide decent turnover of housing inventory.
3. Good schools for my young kids. (doesn't have to be TOP in the NATION) just good.
5. Lastly, I need 4 good seasons, and would love to have at least a couple snows each year. ( I realize I won't get near what I get in Montana, but would still like at least a few inches each year)

ANY input would be great. BTW we are moving before spring 08 no matter what.
You should look into London/ Corbin if you want to stay in Kentucky. How Bowling Green has manged to prosper as it has is completely beyond me! It's a city that was booming during the 60's and 70's and the car factories I think are what keeps that city running (Corvette). London/Corbin are in SE KY right on Interstate 75, both towns are around 25,000. You will not get any snow in Bowling Green, but it does snow on occasion in London. Crime rates are pretty much consistent throughout the state, but Bowling Green and western KY tend to be a bit higher. London is right on Laurel Lake and Lake Cumberland is about a 30- 45 minute drive, great for fishing. Because L/C is in the forests and mountains of SE KY, hunting is great. Western KY has no hills, basically it's like the midwest.

Is a city like Lexington too big for you? Lexington is a metro of 450,000. I was born here (I'm 17 now) and it's by far the nicest place in the state to live in (Infrastructure, "feel" of the city", and accessibility- LEX is on two interstates and two limited access parkways).

Pretty much anywhere is KY you will find a good place to serve God. You don't need to worry about that! KY is a mix of both the northern progressivism and southern tradition.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Snow there?

Any snow around the Lexington area? I'm not interested in big city, but would consider out a ways. How does Lexington compare to L'ville?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Size- wise Lexington is about 2/3 the size of Louisville and also tends to stay a few degrees colder. I've never understood exactly why, but it's always been that way. Yes we do get some snow, probably a few inches in the winter which is about as much as you'll ever get in KY or TN. On average we probably get around 6- 12 inches of snow per year, if that. We tend to get more freeezing rain and ice than snow... There are some really nice small towns outside of Lexington:

Danville- Home to Centre College and some of the best public schools in the state outside of Lexington and Louisville. It's a town of about 16,000 and about 40 minutes southwest of Lexington. More of a historic town, very quaint, and some really lovely homes scattered around Boyle County.

Cynthiana- Around 8- 10,000 people. Located about 35- 45 minutes northeast of Lexington in Harrison County. If schools are a concern, Harrison County is not the best, but Cynthiana is another very nice town to where you're away from the "hustle and bustle" of Lexington (if that even exists here).

Mt. Sterling- Again around 10,000 people located east of Lexington in Montgomery County and again about a 40 minute drive outside of Lexington. M. County schools are quite good, similar to Boyle County. Mt. Sterling is usually considered one of the best small KY towns to live in because of its proximity to Lexington and also to the fact that the town itself is extremely beautiful. Like Danville, Mt. Sterling is very historic with lots of older homes from around 1900 or so.

Frankfort- Yes it's Kentucky's capital city. It's located about halfway between Lexington and Louisville (30 min. each way). Population around 30,000. Franklin County schools are quite good also (The more populated counties in the bluegrass have much better schools). The Kentucky River bisects the city and it's very pretty at night. With Frankfort comes the politics of Kentucky. However, Frankfort has somehow retained a small town feel despite being the state's capital. The added bonus to Frankfort is the proximity to Lexington AND Louisville.

Towns like Nicholasville, Georgetown, Versailles, and Paris are closer in to Lexington. Lexington and Nicholasville and Georgetown have basically grown into each other and it's hard to tell when you've crossed the border. Nicholasville Road is an absolute nightmare at all times of the day (10 congested reversible lanes). That's the bizzare thing about Lexington; for a city its size it has traffic problems comparable to Indianapolis or Nashville.

Because I don't go to Louisville that often, I can't tell you much about metro Louisville except for the very basic things. It's a metro of about 1 million, traffic is absolutely awful (I 65 and I 64 especially), and much of the city is industrial compared to Lexington where most of the city is commercial or residential. Downtown Louisville is being revitalized, the riverfront is being redeveloped (finally), and the city is trying to do something about their traffic problem (unlike Lexington at the moment). There are two members named STX1221 (I believe) and goldenmom7500. They can tell you a lot more about Louisville and the surrounding areas since they both have lived there. You can find them on the Lexington and Louisville forums.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by teebird1012; 11-30-2007 at 07:01 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the great info. You are 17?? You seem well spoken for that age. How do you have this much insight to the area at a young age?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:18 PM

I was born and raised here, my mom is a lawyer who represents hospitals in many of these locations. I have a very good friend in London so I have gotten to know the London/ Corbin area and my step family is from the Bowling Green area. The more time you spend here, the more you get to know these areas. I'm sure it seems odd that someone like me would have all of this info, but I like to travel around and I've learned about these towns on the way.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:45 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,015,259 times
Bowling Green is a city of about 50,000 and you are exactly 1 hour from downtown Nashville, which is nice for weekend trips. It is not uncommon for folks to drive down just for dinner, a concert or a sporting event and come back that night.

You'll have no problem finding a church in BG. Church is a large part of the social scene. BG is in the northern end of the "Bible Belt" IMO, as you get towards Louisville and Lexington, you get less of that feeling.

Bowling Green is growing. Western Kentucky University and the various manufacturing industries (many automotive related) keep the economy pretty stable and keep people moving into and out of the area. The southern side of Warren County is growing much faster than other areas. Lots of newer neighborhoods are popping up in the Greenwood High School district.

Look for areas south of Bowling Green out highways 234 (Cemetery Rd), 231 (Scottsville Road), and 622 (Plano Rd) and 884 (Three Springs Rd) to basically put you in the Greenwood District. The schools that feed into Greenwood and generally good.

Barren River Lake is 30 minutes away. Nolin and Malone Lakes are small lakes that have pretty good fishing 45 minutes away. Dale Hollow and Lake Cumberland are beautiful lakes with great fishing about 1.5 hours away. Land Between the Lakes is about 2 hours away with all the hunting and fishing you could want. Otherwise, you basically will have to know someone with land that will allow you to hunt on it. If you get involved in a church, it won't be hard to find people with some land that will allow you to hunt on it.

You will get a couple small snowfalls typically. 1-2" and people panic. 3-6" causes the entire city to shut down. You can probably expect 6" or so total each year. Although recent years have seemed to be lower.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,653 times
Hi,
Could anyone tell me what towns in Kentucky usually get the most snow ? I live in Berea Now . I moved here from Florida last year . I would love to live where it snowed . I heard Henderson , Ky . was beautiful , but it doesn’t get much snow . Can anyone help me out ? Thanks in advance .

Old 12-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Kentucky in general does not get much snow, but you'll find the most accumulation around Covington/ Newport/ Cincinnati area just because it's the northernmost point in the state.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,860,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
You should look into London/ Corbin if you want to stay in Kentucky. How Bowling Green has manged to prosper as it has is completely beyond me! It's a city that was booming during the 60's and 70's and the car factories I think are what keeps that city running (Corvette). London/Corbin are in SE KY right on Interstate 75, both towns are around 25,000. You will not get any snow in Bowling Green, but it does snow on occasion in London. Crime rates are pretty much consistent throughout the state, but Bowling Green and western KY tend to be a bit higher. London is right on Laurel Lake and Lake Cumberland is about a 30- 45 minute drive, great for fishing. Because L/C is in the forests and mountains of SE KY, hunting is great. Western KY has no hills, basically it's like the midwest.

Is a city like Lexington too big for you? Lexington is a metro of 450,000. I was born here (I'm 17 now) and it's by far the nicest place in the state to live in (Infrastructure, "feel" of the city", and accessibility- LEX is on two interstates and two limited access parkways).

Pretty much anywhere is KY you will find a good place to serve God. You don't need to worry about that! KY is a mix of both the northern progressivism and southern tradition.

Bowling Green has prospered for several reasons, not only do they have several industries related to the automotive industry, but is home to the Corvette GM Plant which is expanding in the next few years, home to a large university that is also growing by leaps and bounds (WKU), it has two hospitals one of which is the largest in southcentral Kentucky, the home of Fruit of the Loom, and many other diverse industries and companies. Bowling Green also brings in a lot of money on tourism because we have a large convention center, tons of hotels and restaurants and Beech Bend racing hosts some of the largest racing events each and every year. That all brings big bucks into town. As far as no hills in Western Kentucky, there are hills just not mountains, Bowing Green is built on a hill...thus the WKU Hilltoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky