U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM

90 posts, read 316,262 times

Advertisements

I've been living here in Victoria, Canada for the past two years. Being a writer and avid reader, I find myself writing and reading alot here. I love reading the Times Colunist here, and comparing things to the states.
The news that caught my eyes this morning was about the death penalty, and how people here feel about it.
For decades, Canadian's and their Governments have been clear on their opposition to the death penalty.
The Canadians are wondering why the Federal Gov. is having so much difficulty explaining it's position on Canadian's on death row in foreign countries.
The controversy arose when the Harper Government refused to intervene on behalf of Ronald Smith, a 50 yr. old Alberta, Canada man, facing a lethal injection in Montana, for the murders of two native American men, in 82.
Justice Minister, Nicholson, implied the gov. will stand up for Canadians guilty of one killing, while turning it's back on multiple murders.
However, last month the Gov. offered a different explanation, saying it woul not seek clemency because the U.S. is a "Democratic" country, and Smith had been fairly tried.
Alot here seem to favor the death penalty, which they use to have here.
I myself use to be against it, and still feel there have been several people who have been innocent when getting the death penalty. However, with so many people in our world turning out so "rotten" and still murder people, I wonder what other way do we have to get rid of the varmits?
Just wondering, how some of you feel on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 15,722 times
The biggest thing that I see wrong with the death penalty, there is too long a time between being found guilty and the carrying out of the sentence.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 65,801 times
I agree, especially if the person is seen by the neighbors and his children as he killed their Mother. It took 18 years for him to die.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysReading101 View Post
The biggest thing that I see wrong with the death penalty, there is too long a time between being found guilty and the carrying out of the sentence.
You are correct. by the time they put the guilty person to death, the family of the murder victim is put through a living hell. I feel the person should be executed within a month of being found guilty of the crime. Do you feel there will be other states to have the death penalty any time soon?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
I agree, especially if the person is seen by the neighbors and his children as he killed their Mother. It took 18 years for him to die.
To me, thats way too long? Was this in Ky, or another state, or country?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
I feel that is way too long for them to wait. Was this in the state of KY, or was it another state, or country? I had a cousin that was shot in front of family 40 yrs ago, and the man got about 20 yrs, and was released. I've often wondered why he didn't get the death penalty. Especially when so many people watched him kill her.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,548 times
I'm all for the death penalty. It sure cuts down on repeat offenders. Maximum appeal time should be no more than three years.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times
Should a government that can't properly fill a pothole be allowed to make the irreversible decision of life or death?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,868,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Should a government that can't properly fill a pothole be allowed to make the irreversible decision of life or death?
The government does make the decision it is made by jury of their peers. Unless you are going for the more abstract government for the people by the people bit, which if that was truly the case it wouldn't take 8 people to fill a pothole.

I'm all for the death penalty, and these lame brain law suit about cruel and unusual punishment ... please did the victim die a nice somber painless death? If it was up to me I'd bring back draw and quartering.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times
against the death penalty.

Nope, not an ULTRA LIBERAL (I'm also against abortion and gay marriage)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky