Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times

Advertisements

We are a 40 year old couple with no children (so school system not important) looking to relocate from NJ to KY. We currently live in rural northwestern NJ so we are looking for an area that is somewhat on the quieter side. We are used to seeing farmlands and mountains daily and would miss them terribly but I am sure there is somewhere in KY that would be comparable. The real estate taxes here in NJ are just so out of control. We are accustomed to having to drive 10 or so miles to go to the supermarket etc. and about 35 miles to go to a mall. We presently drive around an hour to get to work, so anywhere in that area of a commute or less would do just fine. We do not want to live in a "dry"county as we like to frequent the local pubs, being big sports fans we enjoy going out to watch the games. We both like to fish and DH enjoys hunting. Any help of where we should take a look woud be greatly appreciated, we don't even have a clue where to start. Thank you.

We would be looking for a 3 bedroom home on about an acre of property and be looking to spend $200,000 or less. Is this unreasonable?

Last edited by Calico696; 12-03-2007 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
You should look into Montgomery Coutny (Mt. Sterling). It's a lovely quiet town about 40 minutes east of Lexington. I do believe it's wet (most of southern and western KY is dry). Population around 10,000 and real estate is about a best priced as anywhere in KY (a home you described in Lexington would be about $300,000- 350,000 in Lexington). Eastern Lexington is filled with shops and great restaurants and Mt. Sterling is right on I 64 (perfect access to Lexington).

The other city I think you might like Richmond or Berea, both in Madison County just south of Lexington. Richmond is about 35,000 people and Berea is around 5,000. I'm almost certain Madison County is wet (some nearby counties are not). I'm sure you could look it up.

If you stay around Lexington, you will see gorgeous countryside everyday (rolling hills and horsefarms). I grew up here and am about to leave for college next year, but it's been a great area to call home. Welcome!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Based entirely on transportation, I would have to look at the HOT Counties. Henry, Oldham, Trimble. Everything else you asked for or described is there. The acre of ground is required for homes without a public sewage system. You can find several acres and a nice home in the 200k range.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
You could also have everything you described looking around Rowan, Carter or Boyd Counties (Morehead, Grayson, or Ashland/Catlettsburg respectively). Each provides an hour or less to either Lexington (from Morehead), or Huntington, WV (Grayson or Ashland areas). they are all in beautiful Eastern Kentucky.. very close or on the border of KY,WV,OH. There is the Ohio River or Cave Run Lake for fishing, boating, swimming, camping, etc. Rowan County (Morehead) sits amidst the Daniel Boone National Forest, and all three counties sit right on I-64 for fast, easy access to drive anywhere for work, or pleasure! They also all three are located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. It is very beautiful here... the cost of living is VERY cheap comparitive to the rest of the U.S. and the home you described here in these counties could be had for anywhere from $90 to $180 thousand (average housing prices in Morehead as of the end of 2005 were $88,000). I bet you will love this area if you want an area that offers all that you've described. Rowan county is my home now and I'll never move away, God willing!

Good luck in your search and may you call Kentucky home soon, and leave the high prices, gangs, and rat-races behind as a distant memory from your past!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I'm partial to western Kentucky, but wherever you think of looking, find the zip code and go to www.realtor.com . Put the zip in and see what all is for sale in the area. All price ranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky