U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 13,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You must remember that 99/100 of Catholic Priests never touched a child, that all the people who are members of Westboro Baptist Church are not Baptist or even Christian, and that Sister ___ represents only herself.

Do not condemn all Christians, nor all Jews, nor all anything because of one person freely expressing their faith. John the Baptist was certainly not very popular, nor was Martin Luther, John Wesly, or other people willing to rock the boat.

I am a Christian. You don't have to be, that's ok with me; however, if Sister ___ and the people of Westboro Baptist were honest and open, they would find that condemnation of people was not in Christ's m-o. Christ did however condemn behaviours and wrong doing, especially those that were self-distructive.

I have yet to find one Christian who regrets being a Christian. Think about it.
I fully appreciate your thoughtful response. Firstly, it seems that you assume that I have no religious beliefs. Secondly, honestly, have you ever met any person that is truly Ashamed of his or her particular stance towards their belief in being Christian, Jew, Atheist, Agnostic, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, etc …

My initial meaning (not properly expressed in my writing, apparently) was / is that slander and degradation, whatsoever, should be unacceptable to any person that has the desire that they be guaranteed the precise rights of liberty and justice that is bestowed to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Default If not me -- Some One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I guess they should've checked with you first? I'm sure you'd love it if they published a column that only followed YOUR particular beliefs.....

I gather you've never heard of free speech. We have it in the USA - or we have it for a while...I certainly don't agree with what YOU say she says (a link would help); on the other hand, she has the right to say what she wants, as long as it isn't slander and that's not a crime it's a civil action.

No one has to agree with her....I don't.
O, Sundance, are you not amongst the very cleverest littérateurs. No .. you are not! What you come off as is ‘smug’ and ‘haughty.‘ Your words … just, rambling wittering! I do not, have not, lay claim to a notion as being a ‘pillar’ of the community.

I do not lend an estimation that the audience reached by The Crittenden Press would allow a favor to more than a mere few of my personal opinions. The Reverend Lucy Tedrick, on the other hand, does promote herself to be ‘the reliable source’ regarding all things … to include religious, political, and civic matters.

It might very well be simply my own judgment, yet ... I do not perceive Free Speech to being a justifiable cause in taking every possible opportunity to spew out vile and demeaning attacks.

Your innuendo to my inventing the claim to remark(s) made by Lucy Tedrick is juvenile, at the very best.

I cannot provide you a link to click on in an attempt to prove myself -- yet, I am able to provide you with other information that, perhaps, you will put to use before, once more, you attempt to cast doubt to my writing.

The Press - Thursday, October 1, 2009 - Page 2 - News & Views

Religious Views - Rev. Lucy Tedrick

(… begins with a rant against President Obama not signing ‘anti-abortion’ law … and ‘Obama’s ‘support of gays’ … slams ‘Planned Parenthood’ … quotes lines from ‘Obama, Why Black America Should Have Doubts’ … then ties everything together into a hyped-up psychotic ramble…)

“Pharaoh of Egypt had all the little boys of baby Moses’ age killed. Moses lived to see all the firstborn of the Egyptians killed by God.
Harod had all the babies killed from two years and under trying to kill baby Jesus, but his life was cut very short, too.
How any human beings can pull a little helpless human being, kicking and squirming, out of its place God provided for safety and security and pitch it into a trashcan and go home to his kids at dinner as if nothing happened that day?
Where is the outcry of Americans? Those who support this should be put out of office. How do they keep their seats and power, and our paychecks? Who keeps electing them?
Why should we be shock when we ‘produce’ murders, rapists, adulterers, *****s, lesbians, atheists, communists, and Islamic murderers who are out to kill everyone and bring the world to an end?
Why should we be shocked when there is all kinds of troubles, layoffs, high prices, sickness and disease, swine flu, millions of illegitimate babies born every year and same-sex marriage demanded? It is a pagan insult to God who made man in HIS image and they end up degrading HIM in this abominable manner.
We should be shocked that HE has not already us as Sodom and Gomorrah. We should all be on our wicked knees begging for forgiveness, and thanking HIM for not having done it already.
One day HE will.”
[indent]_____________________

Enjoy your day!

Last edited by toy.tiger; 07-25-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: style

Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 PM

the ****s is where the word ***** is suppose to be

Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,158,884 times
Quote:
What you come off as is ‘smug’ and ‘haughty.‘
I see you're okay with insults, as long as you're the one handing them out.
Not exactly the way to make your case against "Sister Lucy," but do carry on......

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I see you're okay with insults, as long as you're the one handing them out.
Not exactly the way to make your case against "Sister Lucy," but do carry on......
Sundance, my comment was “What you come off as is ‘smug’ and ‘haughty. ‘” It was an observational remark … not an implication towards your predetermined characteristics. Yet, your reply, once more, comes off as that of being self-satisfying and self-aggrandizing.

Now, it would appear that your greater concern is to nurse and defend your ego instead of lending any considerations to the information I provided -- pro creditability to my initial statement regarding Sister Lucy’s consistent belittling of persons who are not in complete agreement with her religious and political stances. As well, the fact that in her columns she forever rants against ‘liberals’ -- specifying that in whole, Liberals are actually the committers of all ‘evils,’ and thereto, be the reasons that God sends disastrous events such as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, and et cetera. (i.e., Hurricane Katrina was sent by God because Gays were allowed to gather for a Pride Rally. Also, One winter's severe and deadly 'Ice Storm' was God's punishment for Democrats having been elected into political offices.)

Furthermore, Sister Lucy’s blatant innuendoes that all Democrats are the vilest of Liberals whom all are permitters and / or indulgers of baby-raping, prostitution, atheistic agendas, and, as well, the destroyers of America owing to their profuse, anti-Christian Values -- is nothing slight of demented outrageous rhetoric favored by far-right-wing extremists. But, then again, one only has to realize that 'Fear' is a great way control the mindless masses.

Yes, I do stand by my initial commented opinion. For, I have serious doubts that there are too many other places where a person that claims to be a pillar of the community -- a religious leader, to boot -- has the advantageous chance to continuously use the community’s once-a-week newspaper to champion his or her racist propagandas … including the ability to freely use the word 'q.u.e.e.r.s.' in her column to debase a portion of the population. As well as the fact that the newspaper, The Crittenden Press, (www.the-press.com) did not find an objection to edit the good sister's column, enhances my point.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 4,158,884 times
Quote:
I have serious doubts that there are too many other places where a person that claims to be a pillar of the community -- a religious leader, to boot -- has the advantageous chance to continuously use the community’s once-a-week newspaper to champion his or her racist propagandas … including the ability to freely use the word 'q.u.e.e.r.s.' in her column to debase a portion of the population. As well as the fact that the newspaper, The Crittenden Press, (Your Page Title) did not find an objection to edit the good sister's column, enhances my point.
I gather you don't know that almost every newspaper in the US has an editorial section?

If you don't like what she is saying, is there a way you can write a rebuttal to the newspaper and have it published?

Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,504 times
If I was moving to another state, I'd want it to be a place where I felt safe and could express myself. It's not something I have to shout to the world about, but if I made friends and wanted them to know certain things, I'd want to be able to do that without having to feel threatened. I'm not an idiot, I know intolerance exists everywhere. But some places have it worse than others so I don't see the crime in wanting to know about that when I'm deciding where to move myself or my family to. It's not meant to be offensive.

And sure, being white,straight and catholic, I don't have to worry so much about being harassed or the victim of a hate crime, I don't have to worry that my child would be bullied because he or she had 2 parents of the same sex and such forth.

So when I see people on this board making snide/sarcastic comments when someone asks about the tolerance or racism in a state, it makes me feel very angry. The south is where those things were born whether you like or not and while it might not be on the same level that it was in the past, it's still there just the same. And not everyone is happy with someone who is open minded or someone they feel is 'different' even though those people could be very nice and respectful to you.

Not everyone who asks about these things is attacking your state or trying to sterotype you. So keep that in mind before you choose to be rude in your responses. And since a lot of you are old enough to know better, I feel even more disappointed. It's just a question sometimes, not anything more. So get over it and start acting like adults. If you can't help out in an acceptable manner, then keep your mouth shut.

Last edited by Traveler16; 12-04-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky