U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,799,791 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, a mixed race couple came to me looking to purchase a business in a community where there was a stigma of racism. In the community's recent history there had been a number of incidents where the community had reacted as though the entire population were supremist.

The couple asked about the community's comfort level with an ebony and ivory couple. I won't share my response, but the question I have is when people ask a question about a community's acceptance of difference, what would you have responsed? Even more importantly, if you were that couple what answer would you have wanted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 264,673 times
Arrow What's "homophobia" got to do with it?

Are you saying that this "ebony and ivory couple" are not heterosexual?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM

No, the couple as I remember were a black gentleman and a white lady, but for the sake of this discussion, please place no limits on how non-traditional they might have been.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,710,437 times
If "most" of the community acted in a supremist attitude, I have a feeling that there is a silent majority who disagreed with the mindset of the community..This usually is the case I would tell the couple about the incident and also tell them about the good people of the town..I would encourage this couple to get to know the mindset of the town by getting to know some of the folks, before deciding to purchase a business..You were put in an awkward position, Tom, but I imagine your advice was good and genuine...

Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM

323 posts, read 988,912 times
Very good response Blue!

Also.. my .02... I would very much like the truth. There are many people however who would rather be lied to. I'm just saying... were I one of those "outsiders" who might have a target on my back, that could lead to violence or death, I'd sure the heck want to know that BEFORE I moved into a community.

We take those chances every day just by living in the 2000 society.. but why purposefully move into an area where you KNOW you might have a lot of hate and negativism thrown at you?

I'm not saying it's "right" or "moral" for people to hate and fear differences... but the fact is... they do... can things change.. possibly... I suppose it should be up the person moving into the community to decide for themselves if they want to be the next "Rosa Parks" or "Martin Luther King Jr.".

One person CAN make a change.. the question is... do they WANT to? No-one can rightfully make that choice if they are un-informed in the face of political correctness when being given an answer. Therefore Tomocox.. my motto is.. God never wants you to lie, period.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:18 PM

90 posts, read 316,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
A few years ago, a mixed race couple came to me looking to purchase a business in a community where there was a stigma of racism. In the community's recent history there had been a number of incidents where the community had reacted as though the entire population were supremist.

The couple asked about the community's comfort level with an ebony and ivory couple. I won't share my response, but the question I have is when people ask a question about a community's acceptance of difference, what would you have responsed? Even more importantly, if you were that couple what answer would you have wanted?
Tom- You probably answered the same way I would have. I know many people in Ky and other places cannot accept alot of things, such as this.Alot of people were brought up this way, and can't change.
If I were with a man of color, and wanted to settle in a town, there would have to be many questions answered first. Such as- "How would the community here accept this type of relationship` or "Has there been any violence toward anyone like myself trying to move here before?"
I would have many questions and before making the final move, My significant other and I would try visiting the community afew times We would go to restraunts, church, social functions, and the Malls. I would want to pay close attention to the attitudes and looks we got when visiting the town. After being clear that we were accepted or not accepted, We could make our final decision to move there or to keep looking for a place where we were treated kind.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM

It is my faith-driven policy to always be honest. I get into more trouble than one can imagine because I do not like 1/2 truths or avoidance tactics. I despise racism and homophobiaism, yet more often than not I don't have the intelligence or ability to express that without appearing to be exactly that. What concerns me greatly is how our government often imposes regulations that actually cultivate radical racism and homosexualism. Note that both of these are not the status of people but rather are actually political persuations. In speaking of things such as racism and homophobia, I hope that I am seen as speaking against radical politics and not people or indiviuals.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:31 PM

90 posts, read 316,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
It is my faith-driven policy to always be honest. I get into more trouble than one can imagine because I do not like 1/2 truths or avoidance tactics. I despise racism and homophobiaism, yet more often than not I don't have the intelligence or ability to express that without appearing to be exactly that. What concerns me greatly is how our government often imposes regulations that actually cultivate radical racism and homosexualism. Note that both of these are not the status of people but rather are actually political persuations. In speaking of things such as racism and homophobia, I hope that I am seen as speaking against radical politics and not people or indiviuals.
I too always speak the truth . I am told by my family and friends that I can be too opinionated. I just try to get the facts right and say what I really feel.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 PM

739 posts, read 1,881,533 times
Tomocox, I am that kind of couple. I would want to hear the whole truth.

I probably would not have wanted to hear it from you personally though. Maybe I'm misreading you, I hope I am, but when you say "what concerns me greatly is...(government) regulations" I can only assume that you're hostile to the laws that would protect me (us) in a world that can be very hostile.

I would get another realtor, one who understands my legitimate concerns, that I can trust to give the best information for my circumstances, and doesn't have hidden agendas (which is the vibe I'm getting from you).

Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 AM

Oh, no, never would I want anyone left unprotected, but facts are that many more people are out for a free ride by capturing an honest, but illegal, answer than people who are protected as you describe. Your concerns are genuine, but is the medicine more of a poison than a aid to the cure?

Please don't read me from this blog, I have a real tendency to play the "devils advocate" for the purpose of finding the real truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky