U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,091,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Yeah I agree, it's been a long time since I've been down US 231. Generally from Owensboro on down to Beaver Dam in Ohio county it's flat to rolling with some heavily wooded spots and some farm bottoms, good road though. However south of Bevear Dam, crossing the WKY-PKWY on down across the Green River, Logansport, Morgantown and then down into Warren County and Bowling Green, it get's pretty hilly in alot of spots. Alot of wooded knobs and long wooded ridges down there around the Green River valley and I seem to remember 231 curving and moving up and down in spots. Get down to BG and points south it's back to rolling and flat again pretty much.

If you drive at night or early morning be VERY wary of Deer, Coyotes and Turkeys getting in the roadway. Especially the Deer up through there, they are really thick.
Thanks for the warning. I don't plan on driving real early or at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Now that I am retired, I am planning on this trip to the Midwest from Florida. I will be traveling on 231 from Alabama, through TN, KY and IN to my destination. Any places, along 231 I should stop and see? Any good restaurants (country food)? I will be going in April/May and driving in the daytime, only.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM

10,841 posts, read 8,849,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Now that I am retired, I am planning on this trip to the Midwest from Florida. I will be traveling on 231 from Alabama, through TN, KY and IN to my destination. Any places, along 231 I should stop and see? Any good restaurants (country food)? I will be going in April/May and driving in the daytime, only.
The four-lane William H. Natcher Parkway parallels 231 through much of Kentucky, if time is a concern.

Mammoth Cave National Park is not that far away from Bowling Green, and is very much worth visiting. The cave is spectacular, and the park itself is very attractive, with heavily wooded hills and valleys (look for beautiful redbud, dogwood, and lots of spring wildflowers in April and May), lots of wildlife, a great visitors' center, and good overnight accommodations of various kinds. Good place to break your trip. You can obtain reasonably priced tickets for a wide variety of cave tours. My favorites are the Historic Tour, which makes use of the cave's immense natural opening, and the Frozen Niagara Tour, which includes beautiful cave formations of various kinds.

The Corvette Museum is also in Bowling Green, and several additional cave-related attractions are also in this area.

Be sure to check out Owensboro's famous barbecue!

Spring will be a great time to visit western Kentucky.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:50 PM

any further comments?

Old 04-17-2015, 04:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,784,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Off of HWY 231? Not really.....

It's mostly rolling wooded hills and ridges with tiny quaint farms to fields of corn, tobacco and soybean in places.

If you catch Hwy 231 at Scottsville, after crossing the Kentucky/Tennessee line they're "might" be a few good southern BBQ places down there. Allen and Monroe county on the Tennessee line are well known for they're style of Hickory Smoked pulled pork BBQ. If you see any maw and paw BBQ joints it's a good bet that you'll sample some fine BBQ if you stop in. Allen county's pretty hilly and wooded, very scenic.

Next stop up it will flatten out with gently rolling hills and open farm fields for a bit just before and as you enter Bowling Green. Bowling Green has the Corvette Musuem and also as mentioned about 20 minutes to the east in Brownstown is Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park" but it's a bit out of the way. There are some Mennonites around Bowling Green but mainly just over to the east of Bowling Green in "Smith's Grove" again out of your way.

Heading north out of Bowling Green you come up to the "Gasper river" and approach Butler County. North of Bowling Green you'll see higher rolling hills, low knobs and hollers, also heavily forested and long wooded ridges with rock outcroppings.... some of the hills are pretty steep in spots. The farms are smaller and it's a bit more sparsely populated. next stop is "Morgantown" Kentucky" which is just a little sleepy town. I think HWY 231 takes you right by "Butler County High School" and they're might be a McDonalds or Waffle House over near the Natcher exit. Other than that I can't think of any eateries of note in Morgantown off the top of my head. Butler county is pretty rural, hilly and sparsely populated, as is northern Warren county that you'll be leaving, and much of Ohio county, the next area you'll come to. Youre beginning to enter prime western Kentucky coal country crossing into Butler County.

As I mentioned, next you'll cross into "Ohio County" <--- This is where my family is from, but way over on the far end of the county. You'll cross the famous "Green River" it's still fairly hilly and wooded in this area, much like Butler County where you've just left. Next town of note is Hartford/Beaver Dam. Again, not much there, just fast food and a small Mexican restaurant although inquire locally, their might be one or two "maw and paw" eatieries where you can get typical Kentucky country fare like Biscuits and Gravy or, I dunno Fried Chicken and other southern country staples....I'll have to ask. Alot of places do fried Catfish on Friday nights. If you can make it, and if you like Bluegrass music, get off on HWY 62 and drive 15 - 20 minutes or so to "Rosine" boyhood home of the father of Bluegrass Bill Monroe. They have open mic night there at the barn on fridays with live Bluegrass music. Some of the local entertainment is VERY good and very professional.

As you pull north of Hartford it still stays pretty wooded and the hills are still rolling with a few farms but as you get further north the hills kinda get a bit lower. Then as you approach Daviess County, it begins to still roll a bit here and there but then becomes almost flat with wide open fields of corn, soybean and tobacco as you approach Owensboro and the Ohio river. Last stop in western Kentucky is the city of Owensboro, western Kentucky's 2nd largest city ( I believe ) about 90,000 or so. Owensboro maybe be on the Ohio river and close to Indiana but it's still a very Kentucky city and southern in my opinion. People are freindly, will smile with their soft southern accent and open a door for you. It's a very conservative city ( as is much of western Kentucky ) where people like church, hunting, nascar and country-n-western and bluegrass music. Owensboro also has the "International Bluegrass Music Musuem you can visit. Also, Owensboro is also famous for it's southern style BBQ. Hickory smoked Pork but also Mutton and a thick hearty stew called "Burgoo" Don't knock until you try it though and I recommend 2 BBQ places there that are "both" fantastic:

Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn - Kentucky BBQ Restaurant
Old Hickory Bar-B-Q | Award Winning Mutton and BBQ | Barbecue Restaurant, BBQ, Catering- Owensboro, KY
HINT - My personal favorite is "Old Hickory" and it's a bit cheaper as well.

Please bear in mind - 90% of this trip on HWY 231 is primarily rural through some very sparsely populated and in some spots, hilly and forested areas. You need to be VERY wary of wildlife, most notably Deer, Coyotes or Turkeys crossing the road, possibly with frequency in spots, especially if you travel this road at night or early morning. Also it will be slow going in alot of spots, you definately won't make much time.

Have a safe trip and enjoy Kentucky!!

Here's a map...Hwy 231 marked in blue:

Old 05-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Just an update, my road trip is finished. I traveled on highway 231 both going north, to Indiana, and coming back to Florida. I had a wonderful trip and saw lots of beautiful scenery and small towns (twice!). Thanks for the helpful comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or