U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 AM

104 posts, read 375,849 times

Advertisements

People love to bash Hopkinsville. They talk about the poor school system. They talk about crime. They talk about lack of shopping. The reality is Hopkinsville is a fairly large city by Kentucky standards which is growing at a very healthy rate located in decent sized metro area (250,000 give or take). Crime, yes just like every other city in Kentucky. I should know; I was a state trooper in this area for 21 years. I hate to disappoint you, but in EVERY city in America someone is walking the streets who would kill you in a second if you get in their cross hairs for whatever reason. Every city. What Hopkinsville has that is unique is that it has a lot of African Americans. The city proper has around 30% or so. So every now and then you'll see someone post on this board about how Hopkinsville is terrible, blah,blah,blah. Well the dirty little secret is that some people migrate to Cadiz, Benton, Murray, Mayfield, etc... becuase they don't want their kids in an area that has a large black population. Don't challenge me on this folks, I can name names. So to all those who are legitimately looking for a nice, vibrant, low cost of living, well situated, diversified city that is actually growing, then consider Hopkinsville. Watch the buzz words on these boards and it will become obvious to you also who is saying what and why. And, to all those who don't like it here, I say stay in your little backwards enclaves and pretend you're living in Mayberry. Fine; but don't bash a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM

718 posts, read 1,454,783 times
I don't understand why you criticize folks for moving into towns that are low crime areas. Why should anyone live in a town and subject their family to an increased risk of violence? Should we do it for the sake of diversity? I happen to be one of those who chose to live in a small, backwards enclave (as you call it) and i enjoy the benefits of very low crime, good education, good healthcare. I'm sorry, I just don't buy into the diversity myth.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM

246 posts, read 961,014 times
Default h

I stayed in Hop-Town for about six weeks in 1988 for an employer's project, and have been back about twenty times since. I have always considered it to be a fine city. As for the guy talking way too much about the "myth" of racial diversity, sorry about your luck, but we are simply not going to go back to the mores of nineteenth century Dixie autocrats, so, its time to play catch-up.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,871,404 times
Hopkinsville great? HA!

I lived in Hopkinsville for 14 years, and the schools are sad, not one made the grade and scored poorly on the standardized testing.We moved and took our children to a better school district that actually got a national Gold medal award, not one Christian Co school can claim that, not one even got an award, it's truly sad the kids and families that can't move deserve better. It has nothing to do with black or white people as you claim, it's the facts that are black and white, Christian Co has poor schools and if you want your children regardless of color to get a decent education and have a chance in life above working in something better than a factory which Hopkinsville has plenty of, get them into a different school system. nothing wrong with factory work, but is that what you want for your children? And that to be there there goal if life? That's about what it will be in the Hopkinsville/Christian Co school system. A kid can be smart, but if they are not challenged then the they'll never reach their true ability. Not a single public school in Hopkinsville challenges a bright student.
Crime is above average in Hopkinsville for a per capita rate and the courts stay better busy, and the new bigger jail is already full. This applies to both adult and juvenile crime. I know the enter working of Hopkinville extremely well, better than I'd like to as I have had family that worked within the criminal (District and Circuit) and family courts of Hopkinville for a very long time. (Thank goodness Hall and McDonald are gone.)
I'm glad you like Hopkinsville, you can have it, but don't mislead people into thinking it's a great town. Perhaps you do not have young children, but it's no place to raise a family and clearly no place to educate your children. I'll stick with my little backwards enclaves that you so condescendingly call it, that won national, state, regional and district educational awards for academics. Find one school in Hopkinsville/Christain Co that can claim any educational award aside from being near the bottom.

But don't take my word for it, you mentioned my county (Graves) so let's compare ...

Christian Co School rankings

Graves co School rankings

I'll let the facts speak for themselve

Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 AM

718 posts, read 1,454,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
I stayed in Hop-Town for about six weeks in 1988 for an employer's project, and have been back about twenty times since. I have always considered it to be a fine city. As for the guy talking way too much about the "myth" of racial diversity, sorry about your luck, but we are simply not going to go back to the mores of nineteenth century Dixie autocrats, so, its time to play catch-up.

It's funny how things get racial on here quick. When white folks move to the "backwoods enclave" its returning to the days of 19th century autocrats..as you call it. I call it providing a safe and secure environment for my kids while providing a good education. So..if diversity and multiculturalism breeds higher crime and below average education..sorry I'm not interested. What's the point in raising a family in that kind of environment? So, I can go around like a proud liberal and tell everyone I'm part of a multicultural society that is free of racism....Get real.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
ssw

1 posts, read 2,404 times
I am an African-American retired educator, with plans to relocate to Graves county, if I can find a home. Based on the things I have read here I can understand why some real estate agents are less than eager to answer my questions about the community. I plan to visit your area next week in search of a home and I now have a different impression of what I will find. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by ssw; 01-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,871,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw View Post
I am an African-American retired educator, with plans to relocate to Graves county, if I can find a home. Based on the things I have read here I can understand why some real estate agents are less than eager to answer my questions about the community. I plan to visit your area next week in search of a home and I now have a different impression of what I will find. Thanks for sharing.
I know the area well and I will give you candied answers, feel free to ask.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:25 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,792,620 times
I love candied answers...they taste so yummy!!! Sorry...couldn't resist.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,809,057 times
This is not the thread or blog for this question, but the OP of this thread used the word. So I will point readers to the Politics section of City-Data Forum to see my question about "DIVERSITY".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky