Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyzHere View Post
Considering moving 6 hours South from Chicago to KY in search of less harsh winters. Found a cute little house in Owensboro that I like. I have never moved out of state. I'm not sure about the logistics of all that.
Tammy, there is a couple in another thread from New Jersey who are just ready to move down here. But I'll tell you what I told them. Take your time. Come down and check things out in Owensboro and other places around town. The less harsh winters may sound great but you better check out our summer weather. Temps this week have been around 90 and very humid and the first day of summer isn't till Saturday. But look around the area, what's to do, what jobs, etc. Hope you find something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 AM

536 posts, read 961,610 times
I live up in Northern Kentucky in a small town. We do enjoy small town living. My husband is closer to retirement age than I am, and so in about 5 years we'll be thinking about that. We thought if we stayed in KY we'd look into Western Kentucky. Around Paducah. Mayfield comes up a lot in my search, and I have posted on here about that before. KYgman lives there and loves it. I believe, right, KyGman? Anyway so, that's where we are thinking. I do think the taxes are lower here, I've done a lot of research on that. I lived in Alaska before moving here, and taxes are very low there, but winters are very long! Kentucky is a milder climate, however last winter, was a bit of a stinker, and way too long for me. For me I like the hot humid weather, but not everyone does. We have fantastic springs and falls. The thing about Mayfield that is nice as it's small town living, but you could drive 2 hours north to St. Louis or south to Nashville. Lots of lakes for fishing or boating. Things like that to keep you active in retirement.

The people do seem friendly, but in Northern KY the closer you get to Cincinnati, it can be more reserve, but you can find friendly people if you look and make friends. It's just different up that way. So we moved to Grant County and it's friendly here. I hate to make broad statements as everyone is not friendly or what ever. Alaska is a very friendly state, and I was expecting that same thing when I moved here, but it wasn't that friendly. Now I've been here 17 years, and have friends and have networked into the community, so either I don't notice it as much, or its just some people are friendly once they get to know you better. Just me, but the further south and then West you go, it seems to me more friendly and has the south hospitality.

So we are also on the search for a retirement area. Good luck with your search. The people on here are very helpful.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 PM

I like living here but have several friends I graduated with who couldn't wait to move away from "Mayberry" (we even have Mayberry Antiques on Broadway! lol). But you'll get that in a lot of small towns. I lived in Union County for almost 30 years and both my sons were born there. My oldest said he'll never move back there.
Come on down and we'll find a shady spot to sit back, relax, and drink a Sun Drop. lol

Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I like living here but have several friends I graduated with who couldn't wait to move away from "Mayberry" (we even have Mayberry Antiques on Broadway! lol). But you'll get that in a lot of small towns. I lived in Union County for almost 30 years and both my sons were born there. My oldest said he'll never move back there.
Come on down and we'll find a shady spot to sit back, relax, and drink a Sun Drop. lol

So you are enjoying retirement life in Mayfield! I take it the major shopping would be in Paducah then? What is that, about an hour or less drive? It is mostly flat there, or do you have some rolling hills? I was thinking around Land Between the Lakes there is rolling hills to come degree. I want a little land, but somewhat level so it's usable. I live on a very hilly yard now, and don't like it. Hurt my back really bad mowing the lawn. Not good.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 AM

Paducah is only about a 30 minute drive from Mayfield. And we're just 20 miles from Murray, Ky., home of Murray State University. Murray State University on the Web Murray is rated one of the top schools in the country by U. S. News, Forbes, and other publications. Murray State University > MSU Quick Facts We're about a 30 minute drive from Kentucky Lake and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Land Between The Lakes Plenty of boating, fishing, camping, hiking, biking.... And with a quick trip down the Purchase Parkway to I-24 you've got a couple hour drive to Nashville, Tennessee in one direction and about that far to St. Louis. Lot of Cardinal fans around here who drive to St. Louis for a baseball game. And the Parkway is being upgraded to become part of I-69 which, when completed, will run from Corpus Christie, Tx. to Port Huron, Michigan

Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Kygman: Does Mayfield or Graves county have Owen Electric co-op for Electricity? We have that here, and it's so much cheaper if you can be in a co-op.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM

Mayfield has their own water and electric department with electricity coming from TVA. There is a co-op in the county but not Owen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky