U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM

237 posts, read 771,503 times

Advertisements

Well, reading these posts got me thinking too. My parents were Kentuckyan's that moved to Florida in the 1950's to pursue their careers. I was born in 1957and spent many of my summers in Kentucky with grandparents & cousins early on. We later moved to Alabama and during the 1970s I lost most of my extended family in Kentucky, it seemed like every couple of months we were going back there for another funeral.
Due to that experience I think that is why I stayed away for a long time.
My father retired and moved back to his home town in Butler county around 1990. He asked me to take some time off work (rare for me) and come visit him for a few days, which I did.
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed & admired the old man, and how much I respected him. He was busy doing things for the community and several other projects.
But, the one thing I always remember about our family was the Christmas traditions. We would never decorate the tree until everyone was home...that incluced several Christmas Eve 'rushes'. Children always had to wake the parents up before going to see what was under the tree. Then we had the well structured present openings, breakfast, church services, then Christmas dinner.
I guess I've got too much Kentucky blood in me because I am working my way back here. The plan is for me & the missy to retire there and for our house to be the one for special occasions for all.
On the river, of couse...

Digger~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,784,957 times
Digger, what wonderful memories..I enjoyed your post so much..I have met several people on cd, here and on other forums who are trying to return to their "Ole Kentucky Home" We'll leave the light on for you

Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM

90 posts, read 316,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Well, reading these posts got me thinking too. My parents were Kentuckyan's that moved to Florida in the 1950's to pursue their careers. I was born in 1957and spent many of my summers in Kentucky with grandparents & cousins early on. We later moved to Alabama and during the 1970s I lost most of my extended family in Kentucky, it seemed like every couple of months we were going back there for another funeral.
Due to that experience I think that is why I stayed away for a long time.
My father retired and moved back to his home town in Butler county around 1990. He asked me to take some time off work (rare for me) and come visit him for a few days, which I did.
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed & admired the old man, and how much I respected him. He was busy doing things for the community and several other projects.
But, the one thing I always remember about our family was the Christmas traditions. We would never decorate the tree until everyone was home...that incluced several Christmas Eve 'rushes'. Children always had to wake the parents up before going to see what was under the tree. Then we had the well structured present openings, breakfast, church services, then Christmas dinner.
I guess I've got too much Kentucky blood in me because I am working my way back here. The plan is for me & the missy to retire there and for our house to be the one for special occasions for all.
On the river, of couse...

Digger~
Digger, hope you all make it back to KY soon. I was hoping to make it back by Christmas. Now it looks like it won't be until Spring time.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 PM

52 posts, read 140,409 times
Dustdemon:

It does get easier as time goes by. This Christmas will be rough for you and it's okay to feel sad.

As I stated in my first post, my dad died in 2003 and my mom in 2004. I also lost a brother in 2005, a much loved pet in 2006 and a sister in June of 2007.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky