U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:03 PM

52 posts, read 140,161 times

Advertisements

I'm more than willing to admit that I tend to get a little sentimental around the Christmas holiday season so bear with me.

My first 47 Christmases were spent at my parents' house -- obviously no choice when I was younger but always by choice when I became an "adult." My dad went to heaven in October of 2003 and my mom joined him just eight months later in June of 2004. I would give anything to be able to spend this Christmas with them. I'd love to be able to walk into the kitchen and smell the aroma of all the traditional things my mom used to make and eat her homemade cookies and candies.

People tend to get caught up in the shopping, baking and parties this time of year and one more demand on their little free time can seem to be too much. We try to prioritize and sometimes we get our priorities straight, sometimes not. Believe it or not, that Nintendo Wii you child wants is less important than your mom and/or your dad.

My Christmas wish is that any person reading this who still has a parent or parents alive will take the time to savor and enjoy them, not just during the holidays but every day. Don't add them to your "to do" list at Christmas time because you HAVe to make time for them, do it because you WANT to. If you can't be with them, give them a call and tell them you love them. If you are estranged from your parents, this would be a good time to offer the olive branch. You never know if this could be your last opportunity to celebrate Christmas with them.

Merry Christmas to All!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
gblady, what an inspiring post...I am sorry for your loss..I agree with your post..Those who are fortunate to still have their parents should make every effort to include them in their lives..It doesn't take much time to email or call your mom amd dad now and then..Merry Christmas gblady

Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
how old are u

Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am a girl View Post
how old are u
I am a very old girl My birthday is coming up on the 23rd..

Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 PM

52 posts, read 140,161 times
Happy birthday a little bit early. I'm 52. Some days I feel 30 and some days I feel 70. Just depends on how the day goes.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb lady View Post
Happy birthday a little bit early. I'm 52. Some days I feel 30 and some days I feel 70. Just depends on how the day goes.
LOL. to be 52 again!! I will be 66. and everytime I say that I can't believe it..That soumds so old and I feel so young Only difference is that I take more breaks than I used to..But I am worried about my mental state, because there is the same pld lady every time I look in a mirror

Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 74,505 times
I recently lost my wife of almost 30 yrs 4 1/2 mnths ago. She had been left totally disabled by GBS in June 2000. I had taken care of her for 6 1/2 yrs, if your not familar with GBS is' short for Guillian Barre Syndrome. It is a neurological disorder that destroys nerve endings, & it completely destroyed my wife's nervous system. The pain & heartbreak of losing her has almost, left me devastated, I don't know if I can have any enjoyment from Christmas this yr. I continuously get upset & cry, I didn't realize how much I did love her till I lost her. Now I just have a big empty void in my life, My wife had just turned 48, I'm 55 & after what I've been through this yr I feel like I'm alot older. If you love your spouse, just cherish the time you have with them. Because they can be taken away in the blink of an eye.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:04 PM

90 posts, read 316,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb lady View Post
I'm more than willing to admit that I tend to get a little sentimental around the Christmas holiday season so bear with me.

My first 47 Christmases were spent at my parents' house -- obviously no choice when I was younger but always by choice when I became an "adult." My dad went to heaven in October of 2003 and my mom joined him just eight months later in June of 2004. I would give anything to be able to spend this Christmas with them. I'd love to be able to walk into the kitchen and smell the aroma of all the traditional things my mom used to make and eat her homemade cookies and candies.

People tend to get caught up in the shopping, baking and parties this time of year and one more demand on their little free time can seem to be too much. We try to prioritize and sometimes we get our priorities straight, sometimes not. Believe it or not, that Nintendo Wii you child wants is less important than your mom and/or your dad.

My Christmas wish is that any person reading this who still has a parent or parents alive will take the time to savor and enjoy them, not just during the holidays but every day. Don't add them to your "to do" list at Christmas time because you HAVe to make time for them, do it because you WANT to. If you can't be with them, give them a call and tell them you love them. If you are estranged from your parents, this would be a good time to offer the olive branch. You never know if this could be your last opportunity to celebrate Christmas with them.

Merry Christmas to All!!!!
GB Lady, What you said is so true. In fact I was just sitting around thinking last night of how great Christmas was when I was growing up. My parents would always make each Christmas so special. My mother would start baking all her delicious things, and we all got to help decorate and trim the tree. Lots of homemade things for the tree. My sisters and brothers all made the popcorn strings. The wonderful thing I remember also was getting all wrapped up nice and warm and going out with friends to sing Christmas Carols. And I can just taste the hot chocolate now!
After my siblings and I grew up and had families of our own, we still made sure every Chrismas Eve was spent with our parents. As our families grew, the living room was filled with wonderful laughter and stories from past christmases. My wonderful mother went to spend christmas in heaven in 2001. She is missed by all of us. We still have my dad, and a wonderful step mother who continues to make our Christmases special.
However, I wont be getting back home for Christmas this year. I am missing it already.
You are right. It's not all about gift giving. Being with family and friends is much more important to me. Anyone who has family, enjoy every moment you can with them.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
LOL. to be 52 again!! I will be 66. and everytime I say that I can't believe it..That soumds so old and I feel so young Only difference is that I take more breaks than I used to..But I am worried about my mental state, because there is the same pld lady every time I look in a mirror
And I will be 60 in two months. So hard to believe. We are so blessed to have these years behind us. Hope my health holds up for many more years!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdemon View Post
I recently lost my wife of almost 30 yrs 4 1/2 mnths ago. She had been left totally disabled by GBS in June 2000. I had taken care of her for 6 1/2 yrs, if your not familar with GBS is' short for Guillian Barre Syndrome. It is a neurological disorder that destroys nerve endings, & it completely destroyed my wife's nervous system. The pain & heartbreak of losing her has almost, left me devastated, I don't know if I can have any enjoyment from Christmas this yr. I continuously get upset & cry, I didn't realize how much I did love her till I lost her. Now I just have a big empty void in my life, My wife had just turned 48, I'm 55 & after what I've been through this yr I feel like I'm alot older. If you love your spouse, just cherish the time you have with them. Because they can be taken away in the blink of an eye.
Dustdemon, I am so sorry for your loss. I feel guilty for being so down today. After reading this, I realize my life isnt as bad as I thought. I have lost two friends with Lou Gerigs disease, and it was awful. I do hope you will have some family and/or friends to be with for the holidays. I will pray that God will help you get through it all. My mother was taken away in 2001, and I am missing her terribly, also. May God bless you. Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky