Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM

536 posts, read 953,535 times

Advertisements

I drove through Wheeling WV. It's very pretty there. I've always wanted to live in the far west corner of KY. You have Land between the Lakes there, and it's all small town living and farms. I've had my eye on Mayfield for awhile. Need to make a drive through there. Probably not what you are looking for though as I have no idea if there is a VA hospital around there. Land prices seem to be going up everywhere. They aren't making it anymore! I would say if you wanted to live outside of Lexington, you could find some land in Richmond, or even Winchester. It would be hilly in Winchester. Some of the land is expensive around Lexington because it's horse country. There are lots of old horse farms that were sold off and turned into subdivision. Georgetown is more expensive. Versailes is on the expensive side too, but there is nice land in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM

Another pretty area, would be North West AR. It's conservative there too.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,164,585 times
yea been looking at NWA, but none of the homes for sale there have basements.....in case of tornado

Old 06-22-2014, 11:20 PM

14,669 posts, read 7,970,612 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--s_yv_PWsA

Honestly, I think the people of Lexington are very friendly (but I have lived here since 1987.) I am sure there are people that would disagree(every person has their own views and experiences)....but I have lived in Louisville, Miami Beach, Baltimore, Maryland and Connecticut (suburbs near NYC)
and you could say even briefly in Utah (well it was only for 7 - 8 weeks, so I guess it was more of an extended stay than actually living there)...and I think the people here are some of the friendliest that I have encountered yet.
Sorry about the misunderstanding about Va being Virginia.....I am blonde, is all that I can say, lol.
Anywhere in Lexington and probably the closest surrounding towns would be within an hours drive of the VA.

I would encourage you to visit several times first though....some people are a perfect fit for certain locations, and other people are a perfect fit for others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irTX-jkijaM

Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 AM

Great videos! I have always loved the greenery around here. I live up in Crittenden in Grant Co but I go down to Lexington often.

Starrider: North West AR doesn't really get the tornados the rest of the state can get. In fact, rarely does one occur there. It's in the Ozarks so must be protected. It's a nice area. Very pretty.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Yes it is, still considering the area, I liked the houses around Branson, though, as most seemed to have basements..I would say also around southern KY, like Murray, but there are no VA's there....or anywhere close...closet VA would ne in poplar bluff mo..I would say that Lex concerns cause of some of the negatives I read about it.....

Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 AM

14,669 posts, read 7,970,612 times
I just don't get where Lexington is unfriendly, because it's not something I have ever experienced to be honest.
I think you must take a trip to judge that for yourself. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 AM

As a northerner by birth, and a west coaster in heart, I am not sure if anywhere in the Kentucky would be a fit, cause I have no southern pride, no northern pride, and I love the west coast conservative Montana sort of libertarian spirit. So I am hesitant about moving anywhere there still might have a strong state pride in the southern regions of the USA. Things like that don't matter to your atypical Idahoan, or Washingtonian, or Montanan.....so I don't wish to live somewhere and be addressed as just another yankee, as stuff like that don't exist here out west. If I could afford the homes in Boise Idaho or in WA state I would stay, but I cant, so I am trying to find a more affordable rural area, where I can buy a house with some acreage and basically be left alone. States like KY, IN, OH, MO, and AR fit that bill, yet they are mostly southern states, so I am not sure how welcome I would be. Ohio is too flat, and just don't interest me, KY seems nice, with plently of homes with acreage in my price range.....south central Indiana may be the best fit because I am a northerner, and most likely will never hear the term yankee there.....yet I have heard that Indianans are not the nicest, most welcoming types, and can be awfully reserved, and I have read some not so nice things about Indianans in general on CD threads in recent weeks, so I am stumped on where to take the risk and where to move to, if anywhere in KY, or in Indiana. At least in Indiana I would not be reffered to as a Yankee though. I talked to one lady once in KY, on the phone, who had a property for sale, and she was living in CA at the time, she told me that she thought CA was ten times friendlier than her home town in KY. Just worried I may be another Yankee, invading a southern state, and treated accordingly. True or not I don't know, but I have started looking more up in Indiana at homes.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:49 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
As a northerner by birth, and a west coaster in heart, I am not sure if anywhere in the Kentucky would be a fit, cause I have no southern pride, no northern pride, and I love the west coast conservative Montana sort of libertarian spirit. So I am hesitant about moving anywhere there still might have a strong state pride in the southern regions of the USA. Things like that don't matter to your atypical Idahoan, or Washingtonian, or Montanan.....so I don't wish to live somewhere and be addressed as just another yankee, as stuff like that don't exist here out west. If I could afford the homes in Boise Idaho or in WA state I would stay, but I cant, so I am trying to find a more affordable rural area, where I can buy a house with some acreage and basically be left alone. States like KY, IN, OH, MO, and AR fit that bill, yet they are mostly southern states, so I am not sure how welcome I would be. Ohio is too flat, and just don't interest me, KY seems nice, with plently of homes with acreage in my price range.....south central Indiana may be the best fit because I am a northerner, and most likely will never hear the term yankee there.....yet I have heard that Indianans are not the nicest, most welcoming types, and can be awfully reserved, and I have read some not so nice things about Indianans in general on CD threads in recent weeks, so I am stumped on where to take the risk and where to move to, if anywhere in KY, or in Indiana. At least in Indiana I would not be reffered to as a Yankee though. I talked to one lady once in KY, on the phone, who had a property for sale, and she was living in CA at the time, she told me that she thought CA was ten times friendlier than her home town in KY. Just worried I may be another Yankee, invading a southern state, and treated accordingly. True or not I don't know, but I have started looking more up in Indiana at homes.
I want to break down your evaluation and concerns piece by piece--critique, not criticism, don't worry--but I won't tonight since I'm about to go to bed. But know this: Kentuckians find it, albeit subconsciously, almost impossible to accept criticism about their state. I say this as a native who moved to California.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,534,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I want to break down your evaluation and concerns piece by piece--critique, not criticism, don't worry--but I won't tonight since I'm about to go to bed. But know this: Kentuckians find it, albeit subconsciously, almost impossible to accept criticism about their state. I say this as a native who moved to California.
For some reason I do believe you probably live in West Virginia or even Kentucky. Not buying it dude.....

Orange County, CA? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky