Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 AM

13 posts, read 27,909 times

Advertisements

Yes, HPY1

I would be interested in hearing more bout the London area proper.

A more moderate temperature AND plenty of H20 as compared to Texas, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 PM

279 posts, read 591,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexans2010 View Post
Yes, HPY1

I would be interested in hearing more bout the London area proper.

A more moderate temperature AND plenty of H20 as compared to Texas, eh?
Well, I've been through that area but I have never lived in that area. (Hence why I started the thread.)

What part of Texas are you comparing it to? Texarkana is much different than Brownsville which is much different than Big Bend which is different than El Paso which is different that Amarillo. Texas is a BIG state.

Texas sure isn't Ohio, eh?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
I'm not a London expert, we'll leave that up to InLondon but, I might be able to help somewhat. What specifically are you needing to know?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
I'm not a London expert, we'll leave that up to InLondon but, I might be able to help somewhat. What specifically are you needing to know?

Just general information, how decent are the schools, do most people drive to Lex or Knox or are there closer places to travel to get to the amenities (restaurants etc. i.e. I noticed the closes 'Texas Roadhouse' is in Somerset). So is that the nearest mall also?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Just general information, how decent are the schools, do most people drive to Lex or Knox or are there closer places to travel to get to the amenities (restaurants etc. i.e. I noticed the closes 'Texas Roadhouse' is in Somerset). So is that the nearest mall also?
Schools are good, not the best and certainly not the worst. Most School buildings are either new of recently remodeled. Not, to say that School buildings can teach but, it makes for a comfortable setting to learn.

Laurel County is about the same size as Pulaski, around 60,000 to 65,000 population and growing (Laurel County don't have Hal Rogers). Texas Roadhouse in Somerset is the closest. London has a similar Restaurant that's not a franchise (Shiloh's) and some tell me it's just as good if not better...you know what they say about opinions specially when food is involved. Somerset has a Mall but, the last time I was there it wasn't much, with lots of empty store fronts. Somerset can be kinda crowded in the summer with all the lake traffic.

Most people go to either Lexington or Knoxville for the "Big City" needs. Special shopping and eating. Personally I had rather go to Knoxville, and in some cases be in Knoxville sooner if the traffic in Lexington is backed up.

Many folks that move from all over Eastern Kentucky settle in London. Fact is, I personally know, several that has done just that and they love it. London has lots of amenities just may not be the amenities you are looking for.

I haven't seen InLondon around in awhile maybe he will make an appearance and enlighten us a little more.

My two cents...good luck

Old 04-03-2015, 08:42 PM

Thank you for the reply and information.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM

13 posts, read 27,909 times
Default London

Yessir, Thanks, hogrus! It's really good to get the straight skinny from someone with boots-on-the-ground. It's always better.

We've found out that Realtors and Chambers of Commerce always "over-sell" and sugary-coat their areas wherever they are. (nothing wrong with that of course.)

Me--I like the GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY. Tell it to me straight up--no baloney. I've inherited what my Pappy used to tell us boys: "I have no time for foolishness." <or untruths to boot!> I learnt discipline the hard way--folks today would call it the "School of Hard Knocks." Me--I call it the "Woodshed Treatment." The most feared sounds we'd hear from Pap was: "Son...bring me...the strap." Then you really knew you were in for it. But, like I tell folks: "I never got a whippin' I didn't deserve." You learn real quick.

God has given me 70+ years on his good green earth and I hope He's got a few more in store for me....I say my prayers each day. just sayin'....

I am looking to retire and to help folks out any way I can. Contribute. Make a difference. If we can't help each other out, then what the heck good are we? (Learned that in Texas!)

I've been a grease monkey, plumber, roofer, electrician, machinist, farmer and ranch hand. Not much I can't fix with vice grips and a screw driver and what I can't fix you usually don't need from the get go! Worked for every nickel I ever earned and never begged from no man nor Uncle Sugar. Spent some time in the Reserves. Did college as well--got a few advanced degrees, but that and $1 will get you a cup 'o Joe at a local coffee shop. Taught inner-city high school and took knives and loaded guns off kids who didn't even know who their parents were, much less care about grades or being in school. Tough life in those big cities.

We've got a pack 'o Beagles, a few good horses, and we hunt, fish and hike the outdoors. Steady church-goers. Been married 49 years. My credo for America: God, guns and guts built it.

Might I fit into the London area? Thanks!

P.S.
We were born/raised in Akron, Ohio, but are moving up from Blue Ridge, TX, a small vill right outside of McKinney, TX.

Peace and Blessings to all!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexans2010 View Post
Yessir, Thanks, hogrus! It's really good to get the straight skinny from someone with boots-on-the-ground. It's always better.

We've found out that Realtors and Chambers of Commerce always "over-sell" and sugary-coat their areas wherever they are. (nothing wrong with that of course.)

Me--I like the GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY. Tell it to me straight up--no baloney. I've inherited what my Pappy used to tell us boys: "I have no time for foolishness." <or untruths to boot!> I learnt discipline the hard way--folks today would call it the "School of Hard Knocks." Me--I call it the "Woodshed Treatment." The most feared sounds we'd hear from Pap was: "Son...bring me...the strap." Then you really knew you were in for it. But, like I tell folks: "I never got a whippin' I didn't deserve." You learn real quick.

God has given me 70+ years on his good green earth and I hope He's got a few more in store for me....I say my prayers each day. just sayin'....

I am looking to retire and to help folks out any way I can. Contribute. Make a difference. If we can't help each other out, then what the heck good are we? (Learned that in Texas!)

I've been a grease monkey, plumber, roofer, electrician, machinist, farmer and ranch hand. Not much I can't fix with vice grips and a screw driver and what I can't fix you usually don't need from the get go! Worked for every nickel I ever earned and never begged from no man nor Uncle Sugar. Spent some time in the Reserves. Did college as well--got a few advanced degrees, but that and $1 will get you a cup 'o Joe at a local coffee shop. Taught inner-city high school and took knives and loaded guns off kids who didn't even know who their parents were, much less care about grades or being in school. Tough life in those big cities.

We've got a pack 'o Beagles, a few good horses, and we hunt, fish and hike the outdoors. Steady church-goers. Been married 49 years. My credo for America: God, guns and guts built it.

Might I fit into the London area? Thanks!

P.S.
We were born/raised in Akron, Ohio, but are moving up from Blue Ridge, TX, a small vill right outside of McKinney, TX.

Peace and Blessings to all!
Yep...I think you would have a lot in common with most the folks around London. It ain't perfect, they got a few deadbeats around but a Sheriff that's making it hard on the pill/meth heads.

What kind of property you lookin for? Farm? Baby farm..6 to 10 acres? House and lot? Only an area or two I would avoid. Come on up and take a look around. Two lakes near by...three if you count Lake Cumberland. Rockcastle River, one of only a few wild rivers left. Lot of Daniel Boone National Forrest is in Laurel County along with a State Park. I-75 goes through London for those out of town trips.

Peace and Blessings to you!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 AM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
Quote:
Bumping this up towards the top again. I wasn't able to get a move with my employer last year and believe there is a good chance this location will be on my transfer list in the upcoming month(s).

I'm still very much considering this corner of Kentucky. I'm very excited about the chance to live in/near a small town.

So I will pose this further question, what is the 'pace' of life like in this area? Are the folk there running around in a rush?

What about income taxes in Corbin vs London? Is there a municipal income tax? What are property tax rates like?
Sorry it took me awhile to respond.

The pace of life in London is probably slower than most areas (unless a big snowstorm is coming in which case everything goes into overdrive at the local stores). People aren't really that much in a rush except for specific events or reasons.

Taxes- There is no municipal income tax, well if there is I may be in trouble . Most of the revenue for local government is raised through property taxes, and various fees. The property taxes don't strike me as too high. This is for London, I can't really speak as to Corbin, but I suspect it about the same.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 AM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
Quote:
The schools are alright, the main thing that sticks in my mind about them is that they really compare themselves to other schools in the region/state as opposed to nationwide.

Lexington is the preferred place for people wanting to get to something more than what is offered locally, although then is changing somewhat due to the growth of Richmond/Madison county. Knoxville is a viable alternative, but for geographical/cultural/school loyalty reasons people think of Lexington before Knoxville when travel to a "big city" comes up. The nearest mall is in Somerset, but it is not of the quality of malls in Lexington and Knoxville.

As to restaurants, London has several good ones. London acts as something of a destination for people coming from further east in the Mountains for eating out/going to the movies. Movie wise, there is a cinema here, but to be honest I recommend that people go to the one in Corbin as it is in better shape and kept up better.

I would mention crime in London. There is a lot of crime mentioned in the media. However, I think that is more a function of London being the base/hub of several law enforcement agencies that are aggressive and not afraid to put out press releases about everything they do. Items that don't get mentioned elsewhere has a release sent out and then talked about on the radio the next day. See my post of June 29, 2014 (with poor format and all) on that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky