U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

KY: college educated, business owners, surrounding suburbs, family oriented, general economic picture

Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM

49 posts, read 151,780 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that my wife and I have traveled in and out of KY many times and have been impressed with what we see. We are both mid 30's college educated, bussiness owners with one 6 year old and another on the way. We currently live in RI. For the past two years we have given serious thought to moving to northern KY. Suppose we move to the Louisville area, re-establish a small bussiness and purchase a home in the surrouding suburbs. Questions:

1. Are there folks in there mid 30's who fit the description of educated, professional and family oriented in the surrounding suburbs. Or would we be amongst older folks who are no longer in the kids, work, family lifestyle.

2. Our six year old attends a Catholic school. Although not Catholic ourselves, she attends Catholic school because the local public scools in RI are horrible. We would like her to continue with her Cathlic education. Any recomendations or advice would be welcome.

3. Could any bussiness owners give us a general economic picture of the Louisville area. We currently own a chain of laundormats/dry cleaning facilities. Not that we would like to go back into the same bussiness, there are alwqays alternatives, however any small bussiness owners gut feelings and insticts on the economic landscape would be helpfull.

I know some of this is very general and broad, but anyresponse would be great. Merry Christmas.

Thanks
Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:09 PM

6,260 posts, read 13,094,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc melchiori View Post
Let me start by saying that my wife and I have traveled in and out of KY many times and have been impressed with what we see. We are both mid 30's college educated, bussiness owners with one 6 year old and another on the way. We currently live in RI. For the past two years we have given serious thought to moving to northern KY. Suppose we move to the Louisville area, re-establish a small bussiness and purchase a home in the surrouding suburbs. Questions:

1. Are there folks in there mid 30's who fit the description of educated, professional and family oriented in the surrounding suburbs. Or would we be amongst older folks who are no longer in the kids, work, family lifestyle.

2. Our six year old attends a Catholic school. Although not Catholic ourselves, she attends Catholic school because the local public scools in RI are horrible. We would like her to continue with her Cathlic education. Any recomendations or advice would be welcome.

3. Could any bussiness owners give us a general economic picture of the Louisville area. We currently own a chain of laundormats/dry cleaning facilities. Not that we would like to go back into the same bussiness, there are alwqays alternatives, however any small bussiness owners gut feelings and insticts on the economic landscape would be helpfull.

I know some of this is very general and broad, but anyresponse would be great. Merry Christmas.

Thanks
Marc

The east and north east suburbs are chock full of Catholic families in their mid 30s raising kids. You will be in good, educated company, and with the buzz on Louisville building, it is starting to attract a good deal of transplants. In the east suburbs, I recommend St Patrick for k-8. There are also 10 great Catholic high schools in the area as well as two Catholic Universities (Bellarmine and Spalding).

I do not own a business but I can tell you the economy in Louisville is overall better than the NE, especially in the housing and real estate market where the housing slump has not hit as hard (although its a great time to buy here like anywhere in the US). Louisville is the nation's 16th largest city and 42nd largest metro area, so its a fairly large city with great opportunity for your family and business.

Here is one of my favorite suburbs in the making, and they will build a new Catholic school into the community:

www.nortoncommons.com

Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,425,987 times
Marc, a key part of your thread starter was, "she attends Catholic school because the local public scools in RI are horrible." I see that you are also a business man; therefore, if value counts, your dollars will go a lot farther by buying a home in Oldham County with some of the best public schools in the nation and investing the difference in a business that will provide for your childs better college education. In every way, Oldham County schools match the best of the area's best and you only pay normal property tax.

Part of my business resume' is business brokerage. While I am not currently practicing business brokerage, I see the local economy wondering. While UPS continues to expand its world air port here, and the downtown medical industry is mushrooming, the industrial side of Louisville, like every other industrial city of America, is vulnerable. Ford has two assembly plants here and current production is retreating slowly, especially the Ranger/Explorer plant. Colgate closes out 150 jobs this week; Dupont is closing a major facility, too.

In speaking with commerial real estate brokers, there is a huge demand for retail, but office is overbuilt, and yet, there are at least three new hospital projects in the northeastern part of Louisville. Downtown, there are least five major building projects underway.

So, where is the Louisville economy? It actually depends more on how the non-local economy responds. If the US national economy continues to recess it will hurt, but then Louisville, due to UPS, actually depends as much on China and the world as it does on the US economy.

I would say that the Louisville Metropolitian Statisical Area (Jefferson County and about 10 area counties) is currently stable, but could fall off the fence either way. It could recess hard, or it will explode with record growth.

I hope this helps. If I can be more specific, please personal message me.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 PM

6,260 posts, read 13,094,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Marc, a key part of your thread starter was, "she attends Catholic school because the local public scools in RI are horrible." I see that you are also a business man; therefore, if value counts, your dollars will go a lot farther by buying a home in Oldham County with some of the best public schools in the nation and investing the difference in a business that will provide for your childs better college education. In every way, Oldham County schools match the best of the area's best and you only pay normal property tax.

Part of my business resume' is business brokerage. While I am not currently practicing business brokerage, I see the local economy wondering. While UPS continues to expand its world air port here, and the downtown medical industry is mushrooming, the industrial side of Louisville, like every other industrial city of America, is vulnerable. Ford has two assembly plants here and current production is retreating slowly, especially the Ranger/Explorer plant. Colgate closes out 150 jobs this week; Dupont is closing a major facility, too.

In speaking with commerial real estate brokers, there is a huge demand for retail, but office is overbuilt, and yet, there are at least three new hospital projects in the northeastern part of Louisville. Downtown, there are least five major building projects underway.

So, where is the Louisville economy? It actually depends more on how the non-local economy responds. If the US national economy continues to recess it will hurt, but then Louisville, due to UPS, actually depends as much on China and the world as it does on the US economy.

I would say that the Louisville Metropolitian Statisical Area (Jefferson County and about 10 area counties) is currently stable, but could fall off the fence either way. It could recess hard, or it will explode with record growth.

I hope this helps. If I can be more specific, please personal message me.
I completely disagree. Louisville has never been a boom or bust economy and probably never will. Tom, every city in America is losing industrial jobs, and the loss of a couple hundred here and there is more than accounted for by these job announcements of 250 here and 1,000 there. Also, UPS is FAR from the only thing driving growth in the local economy. How about the $2.5 billion research park that UofL is starting downtown that will add 8,500 super high paying jobs over the next 10 years? UofL and Humana are a much bigger driver of local growth for high paying jobs; UPS has turned Louisville into a logistics and distribution hub since many companies now house distribution warehouses around I-65 within a few miles of the UPS air hub.

In the last year, Louisville has added a new Fortune 1000 headquarters, Pharmerica, giving the region 6 companies in that category. And there are far more than "5 projects underway downtown." When I have more time, I will list as many of the downtown projects as I can, because there are TONS.

Oldham County has outstanding schools, but I am not sure I would call it some of the best in the nation. I have only seen one nonbiased ranking of US schools that uses a systematic approach. I am referrring to US News' ranking of national high schools. In the rankings, three Louisville high school were ranked much higher than the two suburban Oldham high schools that made the list. Schools wise, Louisville has MUCH better schools than Oldham at the top, its just that many of the inner city schools are rough and not up to par, as they are in many American cities....but these lower end schools can be avoided. Finally, some people do value a Catholic education, and the OP made that clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky