U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM

536 posts, read 890,011 times

Advertisements

I saw a documentary on Land Between the Lakes on PBS. Sure looks nice. If you have been there, what are your thoughts on the area? When do the Eagles migrate to the lakes? Is Paducah, and Mayfield near that park?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 PM

10,267 posts, read 16,012,485 times
This a nice big 170,000 acre park.Land Between The Lakes It's a great vacation area with plenty of biking, hiking, camping, fishing, etc. There is an elk and bison range (700 acres) where you can drive through seeing the animals.
I have camped there often. We have a favorite campsite at Hillman Ferry campground. We can set up our tent almost right on the edge of the lake and feel the nice breeze coming off the water.
I'm in Mayfield and we're about 30-35 miles from the LBL.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 AM

It sounds really nice. When do the bald eagles migrate there?

Yes, Mayfield is our target area if we stay in KY. So Mayfield is about 35 miles away, that is not bad. When se saw the documentary, my husband was very interested. I had told him I've been on this forum and have talked to you about Mayfield before. He said that might be a nice area to retire. So sounds like he is on board with it!

In fact Kygman, can I send you a DM, I have a few questions for you, but wanted to ask permission first before I just sent you a private message.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM

10,267 posts, read 16,012,485 times
Fire away!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,616 times
I used to go down to "Land-Between-The-Lakes" or "LBL" as Kentuckians call it quite a bit when I was a kid. It's one of my favorite places and wildlife areas to visit in all of Kentucky. It's great for camping and fishing ( especially Crappie and Bluegill ) and it's also great Squirrel and Coon hunting as well, even though you can only hunt in certain areas. It's kinda low rolling hills, but it's mostly Oak, Hickory, Sycamore, Poplar, Maple habitat so it's really nice. Fall is especially beautiful!

Beware though that it's full of venemous Copperheads and Timber Rattlers....I remember seeing lot's of snakes when I was down there and the Mosquitos, Ticks and Deerflies and Turkey Lice and Chiggars are very bad as well....so be careful if you go in summer, stay on trail or on the gravel roads if you hike and don't get off into the high brush.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I used to go down to "Land-Between-The-Lakes" or "LBL" as Kentuckians call it quite a bit when I was a kid. It's one of my favorite places and wildlife areas to visit in all of Kentucky. It's great for camping and fishing ( especially Crappie and Bluegill ) and it's also great Squirrel and Coon hunting as well, even though you can only hunt in certain areas. It's kinda low rolling hills, but it's mostly Oak, Hickory, Sycamore, Poplar, Maple habitat so it's really nice. Fall is especially beautiful!

Beware though that it's full of venemous Copperheads and Timber Rattlers....I remember seeing lot's of snakes when I was down there and the Mosquitos, Ticks and Deerflies and Turkey Lice and Chiggars are very bad as well....so be careful if you go in summer, stay on trail or on the gravel roads if you hike and don't get off into the high brush.

It sure looked pretty from the documentary. Western KY is an area we are considering to move to.

Thanks for warning about snakes and bugs! I guess being around the lake would attract that sort of thing

I can get along with harmless snakes, but have a major fear of anything venomous. Like walking by tall grass and having one strike out. Staying on the beaten path is good advice!!

Do they have boat loading areas, like for canoes and such. Non motored.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,616 times
My family roots are in western Kentucky, it's a great place to live and raise family. It's culture is slower, southern and very friendly, although employment and finding good jobs can be difficult. LBL has the Kentucky Dam and Village near Gilbertsville and also lot's of marinas and boat loading areas in the northern part and on the southern side down near Cadiz on Barkley. There's also a really big Flea-Market down there as well...in Grand Rivers I think, which is right down the Road from "Eddyville" or the state "pen". However, these days, most of it is pretty much remote wilderness now. There's like over 500,000 acres of forest down there..... In the past there were little towns and farms in the area, but when the TVA flooded it they turned it into a wildlife refuge...it has an interesting history.

Canoeing is great! There are TONS of little Islands, hidden coves and inlets, just don't run out into the middle where there's alot of boat traffic though. Actually the snake issue is an everywhere thing in all of Kentucky, minus the Bluegrass region. Copperheads are pretty common everywhere. The Timber Rattlers will mostly be on the hillsides or in rocky spots along trails, so be wary in LBL in those areas. My Uncle the last time he was down there said he saw a little "honey Bear" or young Black Bear while he was there and they also do have wild pigs now as well.

Best time to go is Fall, Summer is nice too but it can get so hot back in those woods, not to mention the bugs are sooo bad. All of Kentucky is like that, folks don't go in the woods as much in summer because the only way to avoid getting eaten alive by chiggars and mosquitos is to wear heavy coveralls and it's generally too hot. Ohh did I mention giant spiders as well?

Another nice lake in that area is Reelfoot, down on the Tennessee line. Another thing you need to know: the ground shakes from time to time down there, it's a seismic area

Old 07-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
My family roots are in western Kentucky, it's a great place to live and raise family. It's culture is slower, southern and very friendly, although employment and finding good jobs can be difficult. LBL has the Kentucky Dam and Village near Gilbertsville and also lot's of marinas and boat loading areas in the northern part and on the southern side down near Cadiz on Barkley. There's also a really big Flea-Market down there as well...in Grand Rivers I think, which is right down the Road from "Eddyville" or the state "pen". However, these days, most of it is pretty much remote wilderness now. There's like over 500,000 acres of forest down there..... In the past there were little towns and farms in the area, but when the TVA flooded it they turned it into a wildlife refuge...it has an interesting history.

Canoeing is great! There are TONS of little Islands, hidden coves and inlets, just don't run out into the middle where there's alot of boat traffic though. Actually the snake issue is an everywhere thing in all of Kentucky, minus the Bluegrass region. Copperheads are pretty common everywhere. The Timber Rattlers will mostly be on the hillsides or in rocky spots along trails, so be wary in LBL in those areas. My Uncle the last time he was down there said he saw a little "honey Bear" or young Black Bear while he was there and they also do have wild pigs now as well.

Best time to go is Fall, Summer is nice too but it can get so hot back in those woods, not to mention the bugs are sooo bad. All of Kentucky is like that, folks don't go in the woods as much in summer because the only way to avoid getting eaten alive by chiggars and mosquitos is to wear heavy coveralls and it's generally too hot. Ohh did I mention giant spiders as well?

Another nice lake in that area is Reelfoot, down on the Tennessee line. Another thing you need to know: the ground shakes from time to time down there, it's a seismic area

I saw your other post to my thread Fancy Farm and Sadalia. I'll answer here though. As far as seismic activity I came down here from Alaska 17 years ago. I lived there 22 years. Talk about ground shaking! Although after all this time it would be surprising to me to feel a trimmer. We got them up there all the time. My uncle lived there during the big quake in 64.

I read the history about LBL, and some of it is kind of sad with them taking land for people like they did.

I love hot weather. I am a strange one who really likes it, since I lived in Alaska for so long, I tell people I am still thawing out! ha! We aren't as "buggy" right here where I am . I walk in a wooded park, and do see spiders and harmless snakes. the over hang of trees on the trail keeps it kind of cool, so I enjoy it. I wear Deep Woods Off and that helps too. Its like you get an aerobic work out when you run into a spider web! ha!

Didn't know about the Kudzu there, I've seen it in Alabama. It's very aggressive, and covers everything it comes in contact with. Apparently it's hard to kill. But shows you that the western area is a bit milder if it can grow there.

As far as job. I am a hairdresser, figured I could do that anywhere. Hoping anyway. If we stay in KY, I won't have to transfer my license.

I'm also "from" Colorado. My dad was military. They went back there to retire and I go out about three times a year. Leaving tomorrow to go there. I would love to move back to Colorado if I could afford it. Houses cost more, so not sure. I could probably not buy land there. Also looking at NW AR and OK. OK has a low cost of living, and might be able to get land out there. But doing a search and investigating things.

Thank you for all the information! It does paint a better picture of that far western region.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 PM

149 posts, read 172,863 times
tamaralj,
Here's hoping you find the area you are looking for! We have decided to settle in to our retirement years in Mayfield. kygman help us with some insight which was very helpful!
We've been to the LBL numerous times on visits down there, it is a very nice and enjoyable area, did I mention it is BIG!!!!???
I am a kayaker so the "wet" areas are very exciting to me!

I guess I'll just have to slather on the Deep Woods Off and have at it!

Please let us know what you decide after visiting the area!

MO

Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan73 View Post
tamaralj,
Here's hoping you find the area you are looking for! We have decided to settle in to our retirement years in Mayfield. kygman help us with some insight which was very helpful!
We've been to the LBL numerous times on visits down there, it is a very nice and enjoyable area, did I mention it is BIG!!!!???
I am a kayaker so the "wet" areas are very exciting to me!

I guess I'll just have to slather on the Deep Woods Off and have at it!

Please let us know what you decide after visiting the area!

MO

Yes, the people on the forum have been very helpful. Kayaking is an activity my husband I are planning to do. We took a kayak trip in Charleston SC and loved it. Haven't bought kayaks yet though! But the western area sound like it would keep us active.

I'll keep you posted. I'm leaving for Colorado tomorrow, so will be off line for awhile.

Yes....bring the Deep woods off, it will be your best friend....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky