U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,709,536 times

Advertisements

The only states I haven't been to are California, Nebraska, South and North Dakota, Montana, Kentucky, Florida, Alaska and Hawaii. So, as you can tell I've visited almost every single state in the "east" except for Kentucky.

Have you found this true for many people? I have no family here and as far as I know the only cross country highway through Kentucky is 75.

Many people have been to my state of Oklahoma, simply because it's one of the easiest ways for people in the east to get to the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 AM

323 posts, read 969,095 times
Well... that might be the case, but I-75 runs I believe from Florida, up all the way through Tennesee, Kentucky and up through Ohio. I-64 runs from I don't know where through Illinois or is it the southernmost tip of Indiana, through the entire Northern part of Kentucky and goes on East through West Virginia. We also have the Bluegrass Highway which runs from between Louisville and Lexington, KY down through the tip of Missouri I think, all the way through Texarkana? Not sure... but it's a great state to visit. Since you haven't been here.. make it a priority to do sometime... at least for a look-see!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:55 PM

820 posts, read 2,527,633 times
We have several parkways. We also have I65 which comes up in the western part of the state. KY is as easy to travel to and through as any other state.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 PM

149 posts, read 688,800 times
Highest regards to Oklahoma/Native America. Worked through CRST trucking depot ther and consider the place one of the finest states I've seen.

You gotta understand Appalachia Mtns block east/west travel here. Hence saving K'tucky from seein alot of coast to coast travel. Ironic as 100 yrs ago y'all could camp at Cumberland Gap and witness frontier western movement famous in USHistory as it unfolds before yer eyes. For example Brit/Loyalist Cornwallis troops surrendered to American Revolution at Yorktown circa 1780(?) were offered *amnesty* if they marched and settled here or further west instead. Hundreds of em strong, the entire army - ther was nowhere else for them to go with French blocking the British fleet and seizing the port.

Meanwhile returning to modern times, unless yer traveling from N'awlins or Hotlanta towards Chitown, D'troit or Buffalo then you wont see Kentucky on interstate highways at all.

But whats so great about interstate highways anyhow? Y'all at Oklahoma understand what I'm talkin about with parkway of yer own running from Oklahoma City to Tulsa being the best road in the state. Here at Kentucky gimme the Dixie Hwy (31W) for scenic ride over I-65 from Louisville to Nashville any day of the week.

And just a few yrs ago Federal Gov threatened to "federalize" the Cumberland Pkwy that runs from Sommerset to Glasgow here, creating brand new I-68 to "relieve pressure" from I-40 that crosses east/west Tennessee. But nobody at local level honestly wants the kinda dull and drab commercialization that interstate hwys bring. God bless em!!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:42 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
Default Cross Country?

I am not certain of your definition, but Kentucky has many cross country routes.

From West to East or East to West (even numbered roads), one will find an important segment of Interstate 24 which effectively connects St. Louis and Atlanta. I-64 runs from Louisville to Ashland effectively serving as a main route between St. Louis and Washington, DC/Norfolk/North Carolina.

Then we must also include The Wendell Ford (formerly Western Kentucky) Parkway which runs from I-24 near Kentucky Lake to I-65 near Elizabethown. Then there are two 4 lane mid-state e/w limited access state owned & maintained routes. The Martha Layne Collins (frm Bluegrass) Parkway from I-65 to near Lexington KY. About 40 miles to the south of Elizabethtown the Louie B. Nunn (frm Cumberland) Parkway extends eastwardly to Somerset. There is a proposed connection from Somerset to I-75 at London and the eastwardly extending Hal Rogers (frm Daniel Boone).

Effectively, I-71 is more east/west in Kentucky than its odd numbered designation indicates as it runs from Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati) to Louisville.

There is also I-65 which serves as a major link in the connection between Chicago and the Gulf of Mexico running between Louisville and Bowling Green.

To the west, along the famous US 41 route, the Edward T. Breathitt (frm Pennyrile) connects Evansville, IN with I-24 near the Tennesse state line. Other high quality, limited access routes include the n/s routes from Henderson to Owensboro to Bowling Green, and the Purchase Pkwy connecting I-24 to Memphis, TN.

So, Kentucky is pretty well built.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:58 AM

486 posts, read 1,673,262 times
First off, people travel through Oklahoma because of I- 40 and the fact that I- 40 is the longest interstate in the nation. I-75 is not the only interstate that runs through the entire state, but it sure is the busiest! I- 64 runs from West Virginia through Lexington and Louisville and onto St. Louis. I-65 runs from Nashville though central Kentucky through Louisville and on to Indianapolis. I- 71 runs from Louisville to Cincinnati and on to Cleveland. I- 24 runs from Nashville through Paducah to Illinois. There are numerous parkways that are basically interstate standard, but they are not signed as interstates. The Bluegrass Parkway runs from Lexington to Elizabethtown. Western Kentucky Parkway runs from Elizabethtown to Paducah. Natcher Parkway runs from Owensboro to Bowling Green. Keep in mind that the only east- west interstate in the state is I- 64 because of the mountains that basically take up the entire eastern border of the state. Word has it that the federal government would love to continue I-66 from DC through southern Kentucky (replacing the Cumberland Parkway) out to Missouri. So yes Kentucky really only has five major interstates, but there are numerous interstate- standard roads everywhere in the state. Plan your trip wisely and you'll get to see Kentucky. It's really a beautiful state and I think you'll enjoy the trip.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,709,536 times
What I meant by my definition was that 75 is the only highway that goes from one end of the country to another. Miami, Fl to the U.P. of Michigan.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Here at Kentucky gimme the Dixie Hwy (31W) for scenic ride over I-65 from Louisville to Nashville any day of the week.
I agree completely!!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:21 AM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
We have several parkways. We also have I65 which comes up in the western part of the state. KY is as easy to travel to and through as any other state.
bluegrassgirl, I know this comes as a shock to some in the eastern part of the state but there a lot more of western Kentucky that what is along I-65. Did you know Kentucky goes all the way to the Mississippi River? lol Some of our parkways (Purchase, Western Kentucky, and Pennyrile, along with I-24) will be part of I-69, running from southern Texas to Canada. Only problem now is the feds giving the state some of the funds set aside for that.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
KIyGman..Nope, we East Ky'ians are not surprised to find there is more than I- 64 through the western part of our State Many, many of us have even been to the Mighty Mississippi...and beyond..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky