U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Kentucky: potential transplants, crime statistics, unintelligent rednecks, fresh produce, heart problems

Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 PM

52 posts, read 140,161 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I'll be moving to Kentucky in June if everything goes as planned. I'm one of those people who researches and analyzes every detail in order to be as prepared as possible. I thought it would be good to share with potential Kentucky transplants some details that he or she wouldn't think of that I've discovered. Here's what I've figured out so far and I'm sure others could add to this.

We try to research the major things like jobs, crime statistics, schools, housing, etc. but sometimes it's the little things that can have a major effect on our day to day life.

My first suggestion is to check out the forums for the state and city you are moving FROM. I've lived in the Green Bay area for 12 years and prior to that, have been coming here to do shopping for as long as I can remember. I've always liked it here but I've found out from the forums that there are no stores to shop in, there's nothing to do, we're all unintelligent rednecks, the Packers are the only thing in this city and crime is rampant. How did I miss all this?

"Nothing to do" is a popular phrase on this and any state forum. You have to decide what it means to you. Based on what we read on this forum, a lot of towns in Kentucky have "nothing to do." Now, that's a matter of opinion because so many of these towns have everything I'm looking for. Maybe they don't have what you want but don't base it on one comment. I found that there were a few towns I was a little leary about because of these types of comments but after my visit to Kentucky, I found that wasn't true for me.

I would suggest that you consider some of the things that are important in your day to day life. If you take a lot of medications, you may want to be in a city or town that has a pharmacy. If you like fresh produce, you may want to check out the grocery stores in the town or towns you are considering as a possible home. If you have heart problems or breathing problems, you may want to check with you doctor to see if Kentucky is right for you because it can get very humid in the summer.

My next suggestion is to remember that you are moving to a new place that has it's own ways. They may not be what you are used to and it's up to YOU to adjust -- not everyone else.

If you like to dine in ethnic restaurants frequently, a small town is definitely not for you. There's just not enough people to support a lot of these places.

If you come from a large city, it can be very tempting to move to a very small town to get away from the hustle and bustle. You love the peace and quiet at first but in six months, will you be happy there?

If you like to go to sports bars and such, make sure the County isn't dry. It's not a great idea to drink and drive and you'd be better off in a wet county.

Don't look at a map and assume that a town appears to be 10 minutes from another town. It's possible that the road could be hilly and curvy. It this something you want to drive each day?

Also, be aware that prices may be higher in a smaller town. It just makes sense as they can't order the larger quantities like stores in bigger cities and get the discounts.

These are just some things I can think of and I'm sure others can add many more. Moving to a new state can be very scary and uncertain and it is so much easier if we are prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,449,524 times
gb-----very good post that is valuable to anyone moving anywhere.

thanks for posting your great observations.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:00 PM

90 posts, read 316,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb lady View Post
As some of you know, I'll be moving to Kentucky in June if everything goes as planned. I'm one of those people who researches and analyzes every detail in order to be as prepared as possible. I thought it would be good to share with potential Kentucky transplants some details that he or she wouldn't think of that I've discovered. Here's what I've figured out so far and I'm sure others could add to this.

We try to research the major things like jobs, crime statistics, schools, housing, etc. but sometimes it's the little things that can have a major effect on our day to day life.

My first suggestion is to check out the forums for the state and city you are moving FROM. I've lived in the Green Bay area for 12 years and prior to that, have been coming here to do shopping for as long as I can remember. I've always liked it here but I've found out from the forums that there are no stores to shop in, there's nothing to do, we're all unintelligent rednecks, the Packers are the only thing in this city and crime is rampant. How did I miss all this?

"Nothing to do" is a popular phrase on this and any state forum. You have to decide what it means to you. Based on what we read on this forum, a lot of towns in Kentucky have "nothing to do." Now, that's a matter of opinion because so many of these towns have everything I'm looking for. Maybe they don't have what you want but don't base it on one comment. I found that there were a few towns I was a little leary about because of these types of comments but after my visit to Kentucky, I found that wasn't true for me.

I would suggest that you consider some of the things that are important in your day to day life. If you take a lot of medications, you may want to be in a city or town that has a pharmacy. If you like fresh produce, you may want to check out the grocery stores in the town or towns you are considering as a possible home. If you have heart problems or breathing problems, you may want to check with you doctor to see if Kentucky is right for you because it can get very humid in the summer.

My next suggestion is to remember that you are moving to a new place that has it's own ways. They may not be what you are used to and it's up to YOU to adjust -- not everyone else.

If you like to dine in ethnic restaurants frequently, a small town is definitely not for you. There's just not enough people to support a lot of these places.

If you come from a large city, it can be very tempting to move to a very small town to get away from the hustle and bustle. You love the peace and quiet at first but in six months, will you be happy there?

If you like to go to sports bars and such, make sure the County isn't dry. It's not a great idea to drink and drive and you'd be better off in a wet county.

Don't look at a map and assume that a town appears to be 10 minutes from another town. It's possible that the road could be hilly and curvy. It this something you want to drive each day?

Also, be aware that prices may be higher in a smaller town. It just makes sense as they can't order the larger quantities like stores in bigger cities and get the discounts.

These are just some things I can think of and I'm sure others can add many more. Moving to a new state can be very scary and uncertain and it is so much easier if we are prepared.
gb lady, I agree. Before a person decides to relocate to a new place, checking these things out is a must.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 PM

391 posts, read 891,428 times
Great post and so true. I recently came across this forum and was quite surprised with peoples thoughts of Kentucky (both those from inside and out). I'm a native of Kentucky (Henry County) that graduated from U of K and have been moving about the world via the military ever since. I've called Alabama, Tennessee, Oklahoma, The Bahamas, North Carolina, Seoul, Seattle and now Alaska home...I was VERY surprised to find out that Lexington is not "artsy" (always thought it had a great counterculture) and racial tensions are the soup d'jour?? Just two examples of the posts I have perused in last week or so.

Not quite how I remember the home state...and my wife's and my immediate families (living in Henry/Shelby/Scott/Fayette Counties) have not reported any such major changes in the last decade plus.

Go figure

Old 12-23-2007, 06:33 AM

7,402 posts, read 12,937,864 times
Welcome to Kentucky. But you also have my sympathies. Not for moving to Kentucky but just for moving! I always dreaded moving. I think if they are going to do away with the death penalty, punish violent offenders by making them move people. Doesn't matter if it's across the street or across country. I think a few years at "hard moving" you would see crime drop in the US! lol

Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Moving all my stuff is not something I'm looking forward to. If I could afford it, I'd leave everything behind that I could replace and just take the things that have a special meaning to me. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should put everything in storage when I come except for the bare necessities as I plan to rent for about six months. The thought of moving twice is not very appealing but is necessary.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 PM

439 posts, read 1,117,030 times
Just to add my 2 censt. I moved from Chicago to Richmond for school and now live in Lexington. I must say it was a bit of a culture shock at first from the fast paced life up north to the more laid back lifestyle down here. One of the biggest things I have noticed is people, for the most part, are very nice down here, some of the best around. My wife, whom I met here, and I just had a baby and to my shock a neighbor came over and gave us a baby present and some food. I told my wife we'd be lucky to get a hello from anyone on the south side. Another plus is things are cheaper, from gas to rent and food, which is always nice. However, I do miss the snow and winters of Chicago. I have been down here since 02 and not really seen much of the snow im used to, it does get cold though. All in all i cant complain, it's been great so far.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM

It's funny you should mention the snow. Driving home tonite, it was so pretty to see the Christmas lites shining underneath the snow on the bushes in people's yards. Everything looks so white and clean. As much as I hate the snow at times, I think I'll miss it. A friend moved to North Carolina a couple years ago and the one thing she still misses is the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky