U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:50 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,851,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
That's Bloody Harlan.
I wonder if I ever get to Harlan "Will I ever make it out alive?" Patty Loveless doesn't seem to think so LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:53 PM

927 posts, read 1,387,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I wonder if I ever get to Harlan "Will I ever make it out alive?" Patty Loveless doesn't seem to think so LOL
Many a feller went to Harlan and never made it out alive. What you reckin she's talkin about?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:55 PM

8,702 posts, read 4,796,075 times
Omg!

Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Omg!
I think we've thoroughly hijacked this thread LOL

By the way, I really like that Patty Loveless tune....by the way: One of my fav banjo pickers is from Harlan Co...Mr Steve Sparkman... Ralph Stanley took him out on the road when he got to old to pick.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
Congdon Family - our family is also looking to move to Kentucky and we also have 3 boys! We have vacationed for the past several years throughout this beautiful state and absolutely love it. We have been to Burlington and Florence (northern KY, close to Cincinnati), Midway, Winchester, Lexington & Georgetown (more eastern/central), Monticello (southern), and Benton and Mayfield (western.) The majority of everyone I have ever met in KY has been extremely friendly. Most of the agriculture individuals we came across, especially in the Lexington area, were well educated; although I did meet 1 tomato farmer down near Monticello that may qualify as a "hick", but that seemed to be a fluke. I come from a smaller town in northern Illinois and I would have to say that I think there are probably more 'hicks' here than I ever met anywhere during our travels. Our family has thoroughly enjoyed all of the things available for our boys to do; from zip lines and boating to hiking and history lessons, we have not once wondered "what should we do today?" KY offers a wonderful variety of things to do depending on which area you go to. The larger cities, such as Lexington, have great things to offer such as operas, plays, etc, along with the added excitement of college sports; Lexington has a beautiful horse park that kids love. The smaller towns like Midway (railroad runs through the middle of town & has a old time soda fountain shop...pretty cool), Benton or Mayfield (near Kentucky Lake) are smaller and are wonderful places to enjoy peace and quiet. Just like with any other state, there are poor school districts and excellent school districts; poor areas & wealthier areas. We have narrowed our focus on areas covered in the better school districts. One of our recent travels was a long weekend where my husband and I visited some of the towns we have been interested in. We talked with the people, attended church and potlucks and walked through the towns to get a feel for each community; we even looked at houses so that we could get a general idea of neighborhoods; we took walks and spoke with neighbors to get ideas of how they liked the area, the schools, things to do in the area and just a general feeling of how they liked their home. Every neighborhood differed except for 2 things; everyone was friendly & they ALL loved where they lived. We tried all kinds of local foods (one of my favorites is Derby pie....it is fantastic....if you have an opportunity to try it, definitely do so!) I did not see a big difference in prices of groceries and what not. We did have a waitress in Midway tell us that their water bills are high. One oddity we found is that most homes come with electric stoves; I am a gas stove person & those seemed hard to come by where we were looking. We have only been to KY during the summer months; the farther south, the hotter/humid it was....as would be expected, but the locals told us that the past few winters have been 'harder', accumulating ~4in of snow; which, coming from northern IL, that's a normal Saturday for us. Unfortunately, I cannot offer any more info on weather than that; I can say I like the idea of changing seasons without having to shovel 3-4in every day. Except for you inner city areas of the larger cities, the state, predominantly, has a pretty low crime rate wherever you go. We are "small town folks" and haven't done much research around the larger cities. I also went to our local library and read up on KY; did you know that KY has the smallest "Leave" ratio out of any other state? Meaning, the majority of the people that live in KY never leave. We found a lot more financial & agriculture (horses) jobs available in eastern KY; while western KY seemed to have more engineering opportunities (I would imagine due to the KY Dam being so close.) This is only my perception from the recent job hunting that we have been doing though.

Oh....& btw....for those of you bickering about the roads...the main highways are very nice; we didn't have any issues with traffic or anything else; however, on one of our vacations, we got lost on some back country highways that WERE very winding & curving and for people not used to that sort of thing (think of the flat plains of IL), it was a little nerve racking. So really....both of you are right [insert scolding for arguing here]

While KY is the largest producer of bourbon, you will find that many counties are dry counties, meaning there is no alcohol served/sold. Now, my husband and I do not drink at all so that's not a big deal for us but we know people that enjoy their beer & this would be devastating to them; that doesn't mean you can't have beer at your home, but in order to buy it, you have to make plans to go to a different county to purchase.

Please do not let the banter back & forth deter you from moving to such a beautiful area. The best suggestions I can make are:
1. Make a list of the things that are important to your family (for us, it was schools, small town atmosphere, availability to a community pool/parks and lots of outdoor activities, biking, hiking, etc)
2. I went on Zillow and put in my price range, # of bedrooms and did a query on Kentucky (that's right, the whole state.) I then looked for homes that would fit well with our family and researched those areas.
3. Research the schools! Don't just rely on the greatschools.org score; while that's a guideline, also visit classrooms, talk to teachers & parents - you will get the best information about atmosphere.
4. Take the time to visit the areas that interest you; google the towns & read their websites (Mayfield has one of the best) or wiki pages; you can learn a lot about places from that. Talk to the locals and find out their opinions. You will find that some people open up and don't stop talking and will invite you over to eat; while others will mumble out a response & walk away. People are people wherever you go; some are social, some aren't....don't get discouraged!
5. If you are a Christian, leave it in God's hands. Pray that he will lead you to the right place and open the doors to get you there. If you're not...maybe start...

Good luck with your endeavors!!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:21 PM

11,100 posts, read 9,367,428 times
^^^ this. Great advice.

Back to those "wolly", um, perhaps "woolly" worms: I saw a GREEN one near Berea last weekend - anyone got a clue what that portends??

Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM

One oddity we found is that most homes come with electric stoves; I am a gas stove person & those seemed hard to come by where we were looking.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it: My grandmothers house near Owensboro, she has gas in the kitchen, and so do alot of folks around there, especially in some of the older homes. However, some of my family that live in newer homes in Owensboro have electric, so, maybe some of the older homes might be.

Also, there's alot of gas wells and Crude Oil ( as well as coal ) up in that area of NW kentucky so maybe that's why as well. Other parts of Kentucky >I'm not sure about..

We have only been to KY during the summer months; the farther south, the hotter/humid it was....as would be expected, but the locals told us that the past few winters have been 'harder', accumulating ~4in of snow; which, coming from northern IL, that's a normal Saturday for us

Any part of Kentucky can equally be as hot and humid, although I'd say that along the southern border of Ky/Tenn, they might have maybe an extra few days or week or so of growing season, generally, but Kentucky gets VERY hot and humid. Besides, like I mentioned to the lady from Florida on the other thread: In Florida you have a sea breeze, in Kentucky when it's hot and humid during July/Aug, it's like a suana and the air just stagnates with not so much as a puff of air. So, If you don't have central air, you'll want to get outside on your porch or under a shade tree with something nice and cold to drink that's for sure.

Winters seem to vary but my aunt told me last time I spoke with her....was it back in 2011 or 2012?...anways snow seemed to be on the ground all winter...which is not typical of a normal Kentucky winter, at least in my experience. Illinois will have a longer winter and more days below 0 than most of Kentucky, but any part of Kentucky certainly will have it's fair share of 0 weather most winters. One year when I was in visiting during winter it didn't get above 18 - 20 degrees the whole week I was there, however the week before it was in upper 40's low 50's, so it can vary.

Maybe I'm wrong but the NW corner of Kentucky ( around Owensboro ) and also the extreme N/NE part of the state, and the eastern Kentucky mountains along Pine Mtn ( due to elevation ) seem to see the most snow accumulation. I've seen it snowing like the dickens in Owensboro, only to drive down to Bowling Green and it's well above freezing with no snow on the ground at all, same with temperatures. What Kentucky does seem to suffer from is bad ice storms, they see plenty of those. One year, after I'd been away, I was supposed to fly into Louisville for Christmas with my family but we got re-routed to Cinnci-N Kentucky airport, supposedly due to weather. When they loaded us ( Delta ) on the bus at Cinnci/NKy airport to take us to Louisville's airport ( about an 1hour 45 min drive south ) it was around 0 and REALLY cold, snow and ice everywhere. By the time we got to Louisville it was well into the upper teens, low 20's not a bit of snow on the ground...why did we get re-routed?LOL. Then from the airport in Louisville, my uncle picked me up to take me to Owensboro and by the time we got down there ( about 3 AM ) it was pushing mid to upper 20's and flurrying just a little.

So Kentucky can fluctuate and vary quite a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or