Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:59 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible job related transfer to the Bowling Green area. Obviously work wouldn't be an issue, so we're focusing on the rest.
I have a small homesteading type farm, producing much of our family's needs. I want to continue to do so in Ky. so a home with land and outbuildings is a necessity.
We're keeping our house here in TN and will want to rent first and probably buy later.
It'll be myself, my husband, our two teenagers (14 yr old girl- VERY social & 16 yr old son- very reserved), our twenty something daughter, her fiancé and their five month old son. Decent schools are a must.
Shopping......eh. The teenaged girl loves the mall, I am a thrift store junkie (need a good feed store, too) and the rest of the family could care less.
Since the husband's job requires travelling all over that part of Ky. there really isn't a commute issue.
We moved to NM for his job several years ago and it was a bit detrimental for the younger two...I think because it was SO different from TN. With BG only being five hours from here I assume there won't be much of a culture shock.
So.....
What areas around Bowling Green should we look at? Stay away from?
What price range should we expect to rent a small farm?
Any recommendations for us?

Thanks y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:11 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
We're looking at a possible job related transfer to the Bowling Green area. Obviously work wouldn't be an issue, so we're focusing on the rest.
I have a small homesteading type farm, producing much of our family's needs. I want to continue to do so in Ky. so a home with land and outbuildings is a necessity.
We're keeping our house here in TN and will want to rent first and probably buy later.
It'll be myself, my husband, our two teenagers (14 yr old girl- VERY social & 16 yr old son- very reserved), our twenty something daughter, her fiancé and their five month old son. Decent schools are a must.
Shopping......eh. The teenaged girl loves the mall, I am a thrift store junkie (need a good feed store, too) and the rest of the family could care less.
Since the husband's job requires travelling all over that part of Ky. there really isn't a commute issue.
We moved to NM for his job several years ago and it was a bit detrimental for the younger two...I think because it was SO different from TN. With BG only being five hours from here I assume there won't be much of a culture shock.
So.....

Thanks y'all.
Your welcome!

I have a very good friend who lives in the Bowling Green area and loves it. You won't experience culture shock of any kind, however the hills around Bowling Green are certainly not as majestic as the mountains around Morristown in East Tennessee, but culturally? Not much difference at all.

Purchasing a homesteading type farm with some land, gardening, even with outbuildings and the like - that shouldn't be hard at all to find around BG, lot's of folks around there already do that.

I can't speak much about how much rent would cost with regards to a small farm, but if you check on Zillow you can probably find out pretty quick. Plus, I'm sure others around here are probably more knowlegeable about all of those stats on BG than I am. It's kinda the "quintessential" small town in my opinion. Has a nice little city plaza, older but well maintained downtown district..

Shopping? Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but BG doesn't have a mall? Owensboro ( about 45 - 50 minutes north ) but it's very small ,also so does Nashville ( about 45 minute drive south )...maybe someone else knows whether there is a mall of some kind in BG?

You have Mammoth Caves nearby, plus Lake Malone ( not too far, I used to go there as a kid myself. BG has the Corvette Musuem and also has a pretty popular racing track ( if you're into that ) and "The Western Kentucky "Hilltoppers" a great university as well.

You outta come out and take a look....I think you'll like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ONnBNbJxak

Old 09-23-2014, 11:46 AM

23 posts, read 21,603 times
Quote:
So.....

Thanks y'all.
First off, I have no clue about prices of farms, whether buying or renting.

However, your daughter will hopefully be happy with the mall. If she doesn't like it there are a couple of others within an hour drive in Nashville. Thrift shops? They're popping up here all over the place. We have plenty and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

The west side of BG is probably not what you want. It's kind of run down but near the downtown redevelopment area. Still, not anything to get excited about.

Check out Google maps and look at this area:

-East of Nashville Rd / 31W
-North of Woodburn-Allen Springs Rd / 240
-West of Scottsville Rd / 231
-South of Campbell Ln/ 231

Also check out the area from the center of town outward:
-South of Cemetery Rd / 234
-Northeast of Scottsville Rd / 231

Those are two large areas but overall they are nice. They range from 50 year-old ranch subdivisions to farms and everything in between. Five to ten miles outside of town in any direction will take you to nothing BUT farmland. I suppose you'll be okay no matter which area you choose if getting out of town and having a farm is what you want. Until you find that farm, use the suggestions above as guidelines.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 PM

However, your daughter will hopefully be happy with the mall. If she doesn't like it there are a couple of others within an hour drive in Nashville.

Bowling Green has a mall? That's what I wasn't sure about.

There's a small one in Owensboro, and, of course like you mentioned, just on the north side of Nashville "Goodlettsville" there's a great big ole mall out there, well before you even get into Nashville proper so that's an option to...like you said.

If you like more hillier type, wooded areas with lot's of timber and small farms with ridges and low knobs, check out the northern part of Warren County up towards Morgantown and the Green and "Gasper" rivers. Lot's of nice land up there, GREAT Deer and Turkey hunting if you or you're family is into that kind of thing.

If you're into the more low rolling to kinda "open" type farm land, head down towards south Warren County ( Bowling Green ) "Franklin" or on down closer to the Tennessee line. "Smith's Grove" just east of Bowling Green has a little mennonite/amish community.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks, y'all.
I've been there once and of course my husband is there Monday-Thursday for work. I didn't get to see a lot on my one day trip there but I plan on making several scouting trips to check the area out. Now I have some idea of where to look

Old 09-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, y'all.
I've been there once and of course my husband is there Monday-Thursday for work. I didn't get to see a lot on my one day trip there but I plan on making several scouting trips to check the area out. Now I have some idea of where to look
You're pretty close....you can do it all in a day or two maybe...

Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Yeah....I can also go up there with my husband when he goes for work...I just need to get everyone set up with a schedule to care for the critters and everyone else here when I go.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Welcome to Kentucky.. we need more hard working people like y'all and less lazy people that live off the govt. I am glad you decided to move here. I live in Kentucky and go to graduate school here and my GF is from Nashville, TN. I love both Kentucky and TN.. both are great states. I like TN a lot better thou because the people are a bit more outgoing and its a bit more of the southern culture I like. Kentucky in Lexington is a mix of the midwest and south but not too southern. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
The cost of living should be pretty low in Bowling Green. I am sure you could get something from 600-900 a month.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Welcome to Kentucky.. we need more hard working people like y'all and less lazy people that live off the govt. I am glad you decided to move here. I live in Kentucky and go to graduate school here and my GF is from Nashville, TN. I love both Kentucky and TN.. both are great states. I like TN a lot better thou because the people are a bit more outgoing and its a bit more of the southern culture I like. Kentucky in Lexington is a mix of the midwest and south but not too southern. Have a blessed day.
I think culture wise, Kentucky and Tennessee are actually pretty close if not just about exactly the same, especially rural Ky/Tenn. I have a friend that lives just south of Nashville and he was born and raised in Kentucky and he often remarks how similar both states are in so many aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky