Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 AM

442 posts, read 540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
homiej: the poster to whom you refer wrote quite a while ago, and her tone was not exactly respectful or tactful in regard to eastern Kentucky, an area with many proud people. I can see why some did not take kindly to that attitude, but others did respond very generously with suggestions and information, only to get no response from this particular poster.

Your tone above seems very similarly judgmental. You might want to do more reading here before jumping to conclusions about who is rude and who is condescending, who values education, etc.

It's also considered appropriate to thank or at least acknowledge those who've offered suggestions, insights, information, etc. in response to your inquiries. This holds true in real life as well as online.

Also, sweeping statements about people and institutions of various kinds in particular areas, states, classes, groups, etc. are almost always far too broad to be useful or accurate. Instead, such statements tend to paint their originator as being inexperienced, judgmental, poorly informed, hasty, immature, and unseasoned. They also tend to alienate others, especially members of the group being "swept". Learning to qualify one's statements with terms like "in general", "many", "frequently", "often", etc. generally leads to a better reception on others' parts.

I am sorry your Appalachian school didn't compare favorably with Ohio and Illinois schools. But on the other hand, most of Cincinnati's public elementary schools lacked libraries when I first moved there, whereas most of Kentucky's public schools had included libraries for many decades, with the result that Kentucky kids learned to love books and reading, while many Cincinnati kids were clueless about books. At this same time, the quality of Cincinnati's many public schools varied widely, with good schools being (predicably??) located in the more affluent areas and very poorly funded, run-down schools being located in the inner city and other poor areas. But the best schools in Cincinnati were private, often parochial.

I do hope the public schools have improved and become more consistent in (good) quality since my time in Cincinnati, just as Kentucky's schools have made efforts at improvement. Meanwhile, if I were seeking employment in the public schools of either state, I certainly wouldn't ask for assistance and advice on one hand while dissing either location and/or its people on the other.
That's the exact opposite of my experience, then again, I do not know Jackson well, only Bell, Harlan, and Letcher Counties.

Revisiting the original post, I can see why EKY pride may have taken over, but it's true in most cases that Ohio schools outrank Kentucky, especially when comparing rural areas. It's a legitimate concern to send your children to an eastern Kentucky school. I was 2 years behind on math when I first reached University due to the fact that my school didn't hire teachers that wanted to teach nor students that wanted to learn. I realize these feed off of eachother... so... it's up in the air!

Either way, I'm sorry if I came off as condescending, but I would certainly be worried about sending my children to an Appalachian school in many cases because they're simply behind. I was one of two from a class of 200 to attend college. The rest are in the mines or are 22 with 4 kids and the occasional drug habit, for the most part. I know it's not that bad in all parts of Appalachia...

I think that inner city and Appalachian educational systems face the same challenges: poor children who are sucked into the cycle of poverty, low funds, and fatalism.

The question is... how do we fix them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
I agree with just about everything you wrote in your last post, and share your concerns, but lack time to go into potential remedies just now - later.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,932 times
I know i have no right to ask this or even butt In on this topic but i am moving to eastern KY next month from california and from whats i have herd about kentucky and mostly eastern has been very negative. I am a young african american male and most of the people who i have crossed paths with from kentucky have said if i knew what was best for me i would not move to kentucky. Where i am from racial prejudice as well as segregation has never been an issue in my city because we have vast majorities of nationalities and we all seem to get along. My family has been relocated to cumberland KY or possibly harlan KY not sure which one just yet. But i am a bit nervous from all the past talk about eastern KY. I f anyone has great advice or info which would help lighten my fears please lend some feedback.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 AM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dameongulley View Post
I know i have no right to ask this or even butt In on this topic but i am moving to eastern KY next month from california and from whats i have herd about kentucky and mostly eastern has been very negative. I am a young african american male and most of the people who i have crossed paths with from kentucky have said if i knew what was best for me i would not move to kentucky. Where i am from racial prejudice as well as segregation has never been an issue in my city because we have vast majorities of nationalities and we all seem to get along. My family has been relocated to cumberland KY or possibly harlan KY not sure which one just yet. But i am a bit nervous from all the past talk about eastern KY. I f anyone has great advice or info which would help lighten my fears please lend some feedback.
Stop worrying about it, Dameon. Folks from that area tend to hold people at a distance till they get to know them. I should know since I am originally from neighboring Bell County, Ky. It has nothing to do with where you are from or what color you are, it's just the way they are.

If you want me to, I will ask some Harlan County friends of mine if it would be okay to give you a link to a site. And no, it isn't because you are AA, I don't give out private site's link to anyone till I ask. I am going to send you a link to a site that you shouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to.

Let me know if you want me to send you a link to the site I belong to.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,932 times
sure would love that.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 PM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
I'll pop over to Facebook and send a message. Please don't take this personal, I just don't give out links to a private site without asking.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,939 times
They have the best ham.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
Best ham? We have the best cooking in the world. Home cured ham, fresh garden produce, gathered wild nuts, berries, and greens, and you have a meal fit for a king. In the spring Irvine, Ky hosts the mushroom festival, we have wild asparagus, wild huckleberries, wild strawberries, black walnuts hickory nuts, blackberries, raspberries, walnuts, hickory nuts, and many other home-grown, home-cured, and home raised foods. All for the gathering. Soup beans, potatoes, and cornbread. Those are just the staples.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Best ham? We have the best cooking in the world. Home cured ham, fresh garden produce, gathered wild nuts, berries, and greens, and you have a meal fit for a king. In the spring Irvine, Ky hosts the mushroom festival, we have wild asparagus, wild huckleberries, wild strawberries, black walnuts hickory nuts, blackberries, raspberries, walnuts, hickory nuts, and many other home-grown, home-cured, and home raised foods. All for the gathering. Soup beans, potatoes, and cornbread. Those are just the staples.
Stack cake! Don't forget stack cake! With homemade apple butter between the layers - mmmm!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
oh, Good Lord. Stacked apple cake with homemade apple butter and fried or baked biscuit rounds. Ambrosia. Food for the Gods. I've got to talk to Moma as soon as the apples come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky