U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Harlan, County
29 posts, read 79,443 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

Really? How funny, Well, I for one only have this one account and the only reason I even found out this forum existed is because a friend of mine had forwarded the factually incorrect comment posted by UKUKUK. Check my IP all you wish, they will find this account and this account only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
 
4 posts, read 11,288 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I love all the messages from the new members with 1 post under their belt. Hmmm.

Me thinks its the same person, which is against the forum rules BTW. Hope the mods look at the IP addresses of each of these posts & bans the person.
It may be hard to believe, but there are many Harlan Countians who were so offended by some of the comments, that our friends spread the word and posted the link, and we are reacting. It may be hard to believe since many people assume that so few of us are literate and have no internet access. We read. We react. We care.

The coal that people are knocking does have it's issues, like black lung and environmental harm, but it also provides jobs...and the coal severance tax has provided the money to fund roads and construction that have really made cities like Louisville and Lexington prosperous. The real shame is that the sweat of the coal miners benefits areas so far away, and provides the power that some of the very negative people on this forum use in their homes each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
295 posts, read 836,392 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I love all the messages from the new members with 1 post under their belt. Hmmm.

Me thinks its the same person, which is against the forum rules BTW. Hope the mods look at the IP addresses of each of these posts & bans the person.
Just in case this was directed toward me:

Think again, smart person. The mods can run my IP all they want to. Sorry to disappoint you, but this is my one and only account on this forum. See, you just thought you knew so much.

Now, back on ignore you go. You can keep your buddy marmac company there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times
Reputation: 8158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rde123 View Post
It may be hard to believe, but there are many Harlan Countians who were so offended by some of the comments, that our friends spread the word and posted the link, and we are reacting. It may be hard to believe since many people assume that so few of us are literate and have no internet access. We read. We react. We care.

The coal that people are knocking does have it's issues, like black lung and environmental harm, but it also provides jobs...and the coal severance tax has provided the money to fund roads and construction that have really made cities like Louisville and Lexington prosperous. The real shame is that the sweat of the coal miners benefits areas so far away, and provides the power that some of the very negative people on this forum use in their homes each day.

I'm amazed that so many folks in Harlan KY have computers and high speed internet.

Does that include the 38.2% of residents over 25 who didn't even finish high school ?

Does that include the 32.4% of residents classified as living in poverty?( over twice the rate as the rest of KY)

Does that include the 14% of residents who are even below 50% of poverty guidlines?
( also over twice the rate of the rest of KY )

If the answer is yes, I think paying for high speed internet and computers is a misplaced priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
 
1,253 posts, read 3,122,554 times
Reputation: 767
Well, since you guys came here to defend like you claim, go ahead & let us all hear your defense of the area. Seriously, I'm not being a smart-ass either. Education, poverty levels, health/life expectancy, drugs, teen pregnancy rates, poor industry/infrastructure, etc.

Let's hear what you've got to counter these issues (and not just hearsay & made up "facts" either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Harlan, County
29 posts, read 79,443 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Well, since you guys came here to defend like you claim, go ahead & let us all hear your defense of the area. Seriously, I'm not being a smart-ass either. Education, poverty levels, health/life expectancy, drugs, teen pregnancy rates, poor industry/infrastructure, etc.

Let's hear what you've got to counter these issues (and not just hearsay & made up "facts" either).

You do realize that Harlan County is not even in the top 5 counties regarding poverty rates. Kentucky isn't even in the top ten STATES for teen pregnancy. Education is poor all over Kentucky, it isn't just in the South Eastern part. Life expectancy, how about you come work in a coal mines for 30 some years and see how long your expected to live with blacklung. Poor industry/infrastructure, that could very well be because the coal severance money that our mines accumulate go to the more 'popular' counties and cities in Kentucky instead of being used here where it is needed. Anything else?


I will not post the links to the information I stated because I am sure all you smart people know how to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Harlan, County
29 posts, read 79,443 times
Reputation: 30
Wait, I apologize, I didn't address drugs. Yes, we have a drug problem here but I want you to name me one town in America that doesn't. What makes this county worse than any other for having one? I would guess that drugs are only brought up because our Sheriffs office made news (in Ky and Tn) by actually working to combat the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times
Reputation: 8158
No one is touching on the fact that is really hurting many areas of Eastern Ky.

Despite those areas having average incomes way lower than the rest of Ky, they have a cost of living index that is one of the highest in KY.

Thus, in order to survive in a higher ciost of living area on low wages, your lifestyle has to be one of extreme poverty. ( unless you are one of the few with a college degree and a good paying job to finance that higher cost of living index that places like Harlan and Pikeville have )

Don't believe my statistical facts?
I will state what ProudWildcat stated-------" I am sure all you smart people know how to look it up "-------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
 
4 posts, read 11,288 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Well, since you guys came here to defend like you claim, go ahead & let us all hear your defense of the area. Seriously, I'm not being a smart-ass either. Education, poverty levels, health/life expectancy, drugs, teen pregnancy rates, poor industry/infrastructure, etc.

Let's hear what you've got to counter these issues (and not just hearsay & made up "facts" either).
What would you expect people to do about industry/infastructure issues? The geography and roads wouldn't allow for some industries to be very successful there due to the cost of transporting materials in and the finished product out. Coal is a big industry because it doesn't require any materials outside of the labor and equipment. Another issue is that a number of people who do go get a college education end up sticking around in the cities where they got their education. It is not that people who come from the area rarely go to college. The jobs available where someone has gone to college lie mainly in the areas of education and healthcare. Educators are not highly paid anywhere, and not all of us wanted to go into those fields. Do realize that there are lawyers, doctors, accountants, and other professionals in these areas, but there is only room for so many.

I suppose I don't understand what you expect people to do- just abandon the area and their families? Some of us left temporarily to pursue our education and other interests. I mean instead of doing the easy thing and throwing criticism, what do you think can be done? We vote for people who say they will bring in businesses and jobs. What can people actively do other than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Harlan, County
29 posts, read 79,443 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
No one is touching on the fact that is really hurting many areas of Eastern Ky.

Despite those areas having average incomes way lower than the rest of Ky, they have a cost of living index that is one of the highest in KY.

Thus, in order to survive in a higher ciost of living area on low wages, your lifestyle has to be one of extreme poverty. ( unless you are one of the few with a college degree and a good paying job to finance that higher cost of living index that places like Harlan and Pikeville have )

Don't believe my statistical facts?
I will state what ProudWildcat stated-------" I am sure all you smart people know how to look it up "-------

I see you liked my statement.

I did look it up and our cost of living isn't one of the highest in Ky. The cost of living was 77, whereas the average for the Country is 100. I will not deny there is poverty here, no one is denying that fact. The issue is people such as yourself think everyone here lives in shacks with no running water and have no education, that is nothing more than a stereotype.

I agree with the poster above and would like to hear your answer to the question asked. What do you expect people to do about infrastructure/industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top