U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudWildcat View Post
I see you liked my statement.

I did look it up and our cost of living isn't one of the highest in Ky. The cost of living was 77, whereas the average for the Country is 100. I will not deny there is poverty here, no one is denying that fact. The issue is people such as yourself think everyone here lives in shacks with no running water and have no education, that is nothing more than a stereotype.

I agree with the poster above and would like to hear your answer to the question asked. What do you expect people to do about infrastructure/industry?
--"-cost of living was 77--"

My data from Dec 09 rates the cost of living for Harlan at 85.4

Yes, some other KY cities are near that (Murray 85.4 , Lexington at 84.5)

However, those cities have median incomes ranging fron 1 1/2 times higher to 2 1/2 times higher yet nearly the same cost of living.

That explains why a city (Harlan) has a median household income of half the state average, yet a cost of living index matching or exceeding most KY cities, there will be poverty and extreme poverty.

Cost of living gotta match incomes.
In Eastern KY it is way out of line compared to the rest of the state.

and that explains why Lexington KY ( with a slightly lower cost of living and a median income 2 1/2 times higher has a poverty rate of 16.1% while Harlan has a poverty rate of 32.4% )

Median wages of Eastern KY can't support their high cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
No cell phone service?? You must be blind not to have the noticed the many towers in Harlan..We have service available through App. Wireless which is cdma so you must have a junk Verizon phone not to have service in Harlan. Also AT&T does have service in Harlan why else would they have a retail store here? We have a very good hospital and access to many fine doctors. Don't know about you but I don't consider McDonald's fine dining. We have several good restaurants in our area. We are good hard working people and I know of NO one who has had a home invasion. Don't know where your little hometown "holler" but it's not in Harlan if it takes that long to get somewhere. They may live in filth in your home town "holler' but not in mine! I've had dsl in my house for several years. Proud to be from Harlan County!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM

29 posts, read 79,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"-cost of living was 77--"

Yes, some other KY cities are near that (Murray 85.4 , Lexington at 84.5)

However, those cities have median incomes ranging fron 1 1/2 times higher to 2 1/2 times higher yet nearly the same cost of living.

That explains why a city (Harlan) has a median household income of half the state average, yet a cost of living index matching or exceeding most KY cities, there will be poverty and extreme poverty.

Cost of living gotta match incomes.
In Eastern KY it is way out of line compared to the rest of the state.

and that explains why Lexington KY ( with a slightly lower cost of living and a median income 2 1/2 times higher has a poverty rate of 16.1% while Harlan has a poverty rate of 32.4% )

Median wages of Eastern KY can't support their high cost of living.

Quote:
That statistic is for the city of Harlan NOT Harlan County as a whole. Which is what I am referring to because I do not live in Harlan but in Harlan County.

Quote:
Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Lexington-Fayette: 84.5 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Looking at Fayette County and Harlan County, not City, Harlan has a lower cost of living.

Quote:
Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Harlan County: 77.0 (low, U.S. average is 100)
Quote:
Harlan County
Fair market rent in 2006 for a 1-bedroom apartment in Harlan County is $382 a month.
Fair market rent for a 2-bedroom apartment is $429 a month.
Fair market rent for a 3-bedroom apartment is $528 a month.
Even with this statistic, we don't have many apartment complexes except for some income based apartments, you can rent a 3-4 bedroom house for those prices not apartments. Right now a one bedroom apartment can be rented for as low as $250 per month. My point is, the statistics are not completely accurate for the area. Don't base all your conclusions on statistics that are not factually correct.

Quote:
Fayette County
Area name: Lexington-Fayette, KY MSA
Fair market rent in 2006 for a 1-bedroom apartment in Fayette County is $504 a month.
Fair market rent for a 2-bedroom apartment is $622 a month.
Fair market rent for a 3-bedroom apartment is $836 a month.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't believe rent is the sole criteria in determining cost of living .

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM

LOL, Neither do I. I was using that as an example of how the statistics are not completely accurate. I am trying to be civil to you while giving some examples of the numbers, you have so frequently quoted, as being inaccurate, instead of coming on here being rude and saying "You're wrong dagnabbit"

Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,572,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudWildcat View Post
LOL, Neither do I. I was using that as an example of how the statistics are not completely accurate. I am trying to be civil to you while giving some examples of the numbers, you have so frequently quoted, as being inaccurate, instead of coming on here being rude and saying "You're wrong dagnabbit"
Statistics aren't always accurate, especially if you're getting said statistics from the wrong or unreliable sources. Wikipedia for example has tons of false info.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Statistics aren't always accurate, especially if you're getting said statistics from the wrong or unreliable sources. Wikipedia for example has tons of false info.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM

I used the stats from City-Data detailed profile

Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 PM

No matter which site it came from, it is still inaccurate. Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Eastern Kentucky?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM

------" No matter which site it came from,it is still innaccurate"---

That is the best example of a denier that I have read yet.

( yes, I have been to Eastern KY )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky