U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"-cost of living was 77--"

My data from Dec 09 rates the cost of living for Harlan at 85.4

Yes, some other KY cities are near that (Murray 85.4 , Lexington at 84.5)

However, those cities have median incomes ranging fron 1 1/2 times higher to 2 1/2 times higher yet nearly the same cost of living.

That explains why a city (Harlan) has a median household income of half the state average, yet a cost of living index matching or exceeding most KY cities, there will be poverty and extreme poverty.

Cost of living gotta match incomes.
In Eastern KY it is way out of line compared to the rest of the state.

and that explains why Lexington KY ( with a slightly lower cost of living and a median income 2 1/2 times higher has a poverty rate of 16.1% while Harlan has a poverty rate of 32.4% )

Median wages of Eastern KY can't support their high cost of living.

Ah, its clear now, your real-life experience is more limited to looking up facts in books and GOOGLING stats eh? Never been to Eastern KY and seen a man broke down at 40 because he spent 20 years in the coal mines producing coal to keep electricity burning in your precious Bluegrass?

Ever seen a 60 year-old man who couldn't walk to the end of his sidewalk because his lungs were eaten up with coal dust?

Hell, when I moved away I thought it was so strange to see men over 50 still working. Where I come from most men over 50 are broken and disabled already.

You arrogant city-types should also consider E. KY when you drive down those nice four-lane roads in Lexington and/or Louisville that were paid for by coal severance tax money from the resource produced down here in dumb-ass hickville. You know, the money that was supposed to benefit us poor, dumb hillbillies, but was stolen by your politicians to benefit a greater number of city-dwellers.

Enjoy your electicity.
Enjoy your roads.
Enjoy the benefits you have at our expense and then call us stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,275,528 times
I don't believe I have called anyone--stupid

Pointing out the low rate of adults with no high school diploma is not labeling them as--stupid, but it does explain why the median household income is less than half when compared to the entire state of KY.

Unread 02-26-2010, 06:08 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,934,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djizzle74 View Post
Ah, its clear now, your real-life experience is more limited to looking up facts in books and GOOGLING stats eh? Never been to Eastern KY and seen a man broke down at 40 because he spent 20 years in the coal mines producing coal to keep electricity burning in your precious Bluegrass?

Ever seen a 60 year-old man who couldn't walk to the end of his sidewalk because his lungs were eaten up with coal dust?

Hell, when I moved away I thought it was so strange to see men over 50 still working. Where I come from most men over 50 are broken and disabled already.

You arrogant city-types should also consider E. KY when you drive down those nice four-lane roads in Lexington and/or Louisville that were paid for by coal severance tax money from the resource produced down here in dumb-ass hickville. You know, the money that was supposed to benefit us poor, dumb hillbillies, but was stolen by your politicians to benefit a greater number of city-dwellers.

Enjoy your electicity.
Enjoy your roads.
I've seen this rebuttal (or variations of it) several times. I'm not trying to bash EKY, but I have questions regarding this mindset. Why do the residents of EKY allow themselves to be victims? Why do they allow their mountains to be flattened and the streams filled with sediment? Why do they allow their fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers... to work in conditions that kill them prematurely? Why do they let the coal company profits leave the area, leaving EKY one of the poorest pockets of the country? Why do they allow politicians from outside their area steal their money?

What is going to happen when the coal is gone? I've been back into those mines a couple times. The reclamation of the land is a joke. It looks like a bunch of grass seed and a couple trees were planted. All that sediment flows down into the streams, which get funneled to the KY river, which is extremely polluted with sediment. When you look at Google Earth, you can see these huge scars in EKY and WV from the strip mines. In 100 years, how many mountains will be left?

Unread 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
Quote:

Enjoy your electicity.
Enjoy your roads.

I would like to see proof that coal severance built the highways in Lexington and Louisville. I think your claim is wrong. According to the statistics I read, the highway funds come from the following sources:
Kentucky State Road Funds 63%
General Funds 0.3%
Restricted funds 6.0%
Federal Funds 30.7%
The Road Funds make up over half of the highway funds. These funds are from vehicle taxes, licenses fees, fuel tax, and tolls. Compare how many people live in each county. A majority of the people are paying vehicle taxes and license fees.
Fayette County population 282,114
Jefferson County population 713,877
Harlan County population 30,783
In my opinion the hard working tax payers of Fayette and Jefferson County are paying their share for the nice four-lane highways.
Coal Severance makes up 2% of the state’s General Funds. The other percentages are:
Personal Income 40%
Sales and Use 35%
Corporate 7%
Property 6%
Lottery 2%
All others 7%
Again, compare how many people live in each county who are paying taxes, buying property, and purchasing goods. Think about how many corporations there are in Jefferson, and Fayette County, and compare that to the few mines in Harlan that are paying into the General funds. The hard workers of Fayette and Jefferson Counties are paying their share just like everyone else in the state.

I enjoy my electricity because I pay a high monthly bill for it!
I enjoy my roads because I pay federal, state, and local taxes to drive on them!
[FONT=&quot]I enjoy the benefits I have because I work very damn hard for them![/FONT]

Unread 02-26-2010, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown065476 View Post
I would like to see proof that coal severance built the highways in Lexington and Louisville. I think your claim is wrong. According to the statistics I read, the highway funds come from the following sources:
Kentucky State Road Funds 63%
General Funds 0.3%
Restricted funds 6.0%
Federal Funds 30.7%
The Road Funds make up over half of the highway funds. These funds are from vehicle taxes, licenses fees, fuel tax, and tolls. Compare how many people live in each county. A majority of the people are paying vehicle taxes and license fees.
Fayette County population 282,114
Jefferson County population 713,877
Harlan County population 30,783
In my opinion the hard working tax payers of Fayette and Jefferson County are paying their share for the nice four-lane highways.
Coal Severance makes up 2% of the state’s General Funds. The other percentages are:
Personal Income 40%
Sales and Use 35%
Corporate 7%
Property 6%
Lottery 2%
All others 7%
Again, compare how many people live in each county who are paying taxes, buying property, and purchasing goods. Think about how many corporations there are in Jefferson, and Fayette County, and compare that to the few mines in Harlan that are paying into the General funds. The hard workers of Fayette and Jefferson Counties are paying their share just like everyone else in the state.

I enjoy my electricity because I pay a high monthly bill for it!
I enjoy my roads because I pay federal, state, and local taxes to drive on them!
I enjoy the benefits I have because I work very damn hard for them!
[url=http://www.kftc.org/our-work/high-road/coal-severance-tax/?searchterm=coal%20severance%20tax[/url]

Here is some information regarding the coal severance tax.

Unread 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM

29 posts, read 52,190 times
Few mines in Harlan County?? Oh my, that makes me laugh, you really have no idea at how many coal mines are actually here do you? Also, rde, excellent information provided in the link given.

Unread 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM

102 posts, read 169,572 times
Quote:

Enjoy your electicity.
Enjoy your roads.
And thank for you destroying the environment. "Clean" coal. Only clueless eastern Kentuckians could even believe in something that ludicrious.

THis was one of the funnier posts I've read in awhile. Thanks for the laugh.

Unread 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM

102 posts, read 169,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The above nonsense, lies, and hate for East Ky that is spewed from the fingers of UKUKUK and some others so often in this forum is the reason I seldom come to the Ky forum..
Lies?

Yeah, it's a lie that Eastern Kentucky is the least healthy area of the country. And it's all self inflicted. I just laugh at the idiots smoking left and right when I go there.

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM

871 posts, read 1,181,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
My best friend here in Atlanta is from Winchester, Kentucky. What is that, something like 12 miles East of Lexington or so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Now, I can honestly say, if I were to base my opinion of Eastern Kentucky on these 18 or so people, I'd say it has to be one of those "Land that time forgot"
winchester is not eastern kentucky. it is not appalachian or mountainous. it is part of the bluegrass region. anything you got from them would just be kentucky in general. there are "redneck" types in this state from fulton county to pike county.

Unread 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM

29 posts, read 52,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Lies?

Yeah, it's a lie that Eastern Kentucky is the least healthy area of the country. And it's all self inflicted. I just laugh at the idiots smoking left and right when I go there.

Your ignorance is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky