U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 PM
 
1,253 posts, read 3,122,554 times
Reputation: 767

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudWildcat View Post
Your ignorance is showing.
Prove him wrong then, Mr red letters.

BTW, you wont be able to. It's quite accurate. That KY region, WV & MS are consistently considered the worst in the country for overall health. But I'm positive you'll find a way to spin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Harlan, County
29 posts, read 79,443 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Prove him wrong then, Mr red letters.

BTW, you wont be able to. It's quite accurate. That KY region, WV & MS are consistently considered the worst in the country for overall health. But I'm positive you'll find a way to spin it.

He said Eastern Ky is the least healthy area of the Country. So, Kentucky isn't even listed in the top ten most unhealthy states list.

The Top 10 Least Healthy States in America | Healia Health Blog (http://blog.healia.com/00194/top-10-least-healthy-states-america - broken link)


Unhealthiest States for 2008


So, Mr black letters, he is proven wrong. Eastern Kentucky is not the most unhealthy place in our Country!

Since I have now proving his statement to be wrong I will address the fact of the Eastern part of Ky being the most unhealthy. I never said that wasn't true, but to say it is ALL self inflicted is an outrageous idea.

If he doesn't want to be proven wrong he should watch how he says things, he intended to show the ignorance of others but ended up only showing his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 3,122,554 times
Reputation: 767
Yeah, dude. Why dont you use a credible resource instead of some blog post? If you'd read, that link was taking into consideration things like crime, car crashes & such. Not exactly exact science there. Any statics person is gonna tell you its all about the data used & the source. If those arent credible, then its hogwash.

I'm just saying. Just because you can use Google & copy & paste any link from the internet that supports your argument doesnt really mean anything. I could find a blog about how we evolved from space aliens from another planet & post it here just the same. Doesnt mean its true.

So yeah, both sides all understand? Posting links to backup your claims & then touting you just blew the doors off the discussion doesnt mean sh*t unless its credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 AM
 
871 posts, read 1,956,894 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Yeah, dude. Why dont you use a credible resource instead of some blog post? If you'd read, that link was taking into consideration things like crime, car crashes & such. Not exactly exact science there. Any statics person is gonna tell you its all about the data used & the source. If those arent credible, then its hogwash.

I'm just saying. Just because you can use Google & copy & paste any link from the internet that supports your argument doesnt really mean anything. I could find a blog about how we evolved from space aliens from another planet & post it here just the same. Doesnt mean its true.

So yeah, both sides all understand? Posting links to backup your claims & then touting you just blew the doors off the discussion doesnt mean sh*t unless its credible.
especially inces those "statistics" were for whole states, and not for eastern kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Harlan, County
29 posts, read 79,443 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Since I have now proving his statement to be wrong I will address the fact of the Eastern part of Ky being the most unhealthy. I never said that wasn't true, but to say it is ALL self inflicted is an outrageous idea.
Do you people just choose to ignore parts of a post to start an argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,956,894 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Lies?

Yeah, it's a lie that Eastern Kentucky is the least healthy area of the country. And it's all self inflicted. I just laugh at the idiots smoking left and right when I go there.
i wouldnt say eastern kentucky, id say ALL of kentucky.

look at a lung cancer map:



and this one for all types of cancer:



for poverty, yea eastern KY is more poverty stricken. but really, rural areas of the entire state and rest of the south are more poverty stricken than the midwest and northeast. look:

http://www.msuextension.org/communitydevelopment/macdep/img/dec09/2008pov-rur-am.jpg (broken link)


point is there are problems all across the state, and singling out eastern kentucky is not really accurate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 AM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,062,192 times
Reputation: 6322
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Prove him wrong then, Mr red letters.

BTW, you wont be able to. It's quite accurate. That KY region, WV & MS are consistently considered the worst in the country for overall health. But I'm positive you'll find a way to spin it.

Blue colors and intermittently unemployed are consistently less healthy, live 10-15 years less than "overstressed" management types. KY or NY. It's all about % share of those people in general population. Smoking and junk foods are mild antidepressants helping working types to go through degradations of the work place and their social perch. KY, MS, CT, VT, FL.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,062,192 times
Reputation: 6322
People are not poor until somebody says to them that they are poor and they believe it. E. KY had (regrettably) long history of insular semi self-sufficient life. Extremely poor life by modern standards, yet, rampant drug & alcohol abuse was not there at the time. It became a problem only after E. KY was included in the national economy as a cheap raw material and labor source which greatly boosted material wealth of the region. So, it's not about material poverty per se. It's all about meanings and senses of life people have. In the national economy there is only one meaning and purpose - climbing up the wealth ladder, there is nothing else. If you are at the bottom and you know it, life loses all its colors for great many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 AM
 
102 posts, read 265,881 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudWildcat View Post
He said Eastern Ky is the least healthy area of the Country. So, Kentucky isn't even listed in the top ten most unhealthy states list.

The Top 10 Least Healthy States in America | Healia Health Blog (http://blog.healia.com/00194/top-10-least-healthy-states-america - broken link)


Unhealthiest States for 2008


So, Mr black letters, he is proven wrong. Eastern Kentucky is not the most unhealthy place in our Country!

Since I have now proving his statement to be wrong I will address the fact of the Eastern part of Ky being the most unhealthy. I never said that wasn't true, but to say it is ALL self inflicted is an outrageous idea.

If he doesn't want to be proven wrong he should watch how he says things, he intended to show the ignorance of others but ended up only showing his own.
WRONG.

Kentucky's Fifth Congressional District, encompassing the southeastern part of the state, is at the bottom of the rankings with an average life expectancy of 72.6 years. Virginia's Eighth District, covering urban northern Virginia, is at the top of the table with a life expectancy of 82.9-a difference of more than a decade. Residents of Kentucky's Fifth District have an average life expectancy equal to that of the average American three decades ago.

Kentucky Model Shows Money Alone Won't Fix Health : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,645 times
Reputation: 10
I am a teacher looking for a job, and have considered KY. I can assure you that this is not my first choice. There seems to be a lot of jobs in the state and I need one. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on as what to expect from this state as far as the economy, jobs, education, ect. I was considering places like carrol county, or Jackson county. I am from Ohio and we have one of the best educational systems in the USA and I am worried about sending my children to a KY school, because they very well could get bored since Ohio's work is much harder than KY. So, please, if you have any information I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top