U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,954,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Is that 1850's or 1950???

Reason I'm asking: areas that included JP region were virtually barbarian lawless and uncivilized inhospitable way back circa 1850 until after the civil war.

Y'all remember Jayhawk Redlegs and Quantrill Raiders doncha?? These were ruthless crazy sons of ******* from the West that reached about to Dixie Hwy literally burning and pillaging everything they found.
Dixie Hwy in Louisville??? Wow how interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM

149 posts, read 702,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Dixie Hwy in Louisville??? Wow how interesting!
More like Munfordville than Louisville. There's even detachment of Quantrill Raiders among Civil War re-enactors.

Missy, if you like history check out Fort Duffeild nearby you at West Point during Memorial Day weekend encampment among the civil war crowd under conditions of 'full immersion' replicating what times were like.

Also Civil War Days at Hart Co sometime in Summer. Every detail and historical fact of CW times been preserved for generations with walking, talking history re-enactors, musket shoot competitions and all kinds of cool stuff.

If I had to pin down a reason for Jackson Purchase even today feeling remote to the rest, it would be partly based on how life was lived 150 yrs ago. During that time West Point South of Louisville was considered the westernmost busy little river trade port town on the railroad line here that runs from Chicago to New Orleans. I think if folks at western regions feel gyped and left out, though aint no reason they should, its got alot to do with railroad lines running North/South setting the pace.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,954,392 times
Quote:
More like Munfordville than Louisville. There's even detachment of Quantrill Raiders among Civil War re-enactors.

Missy, if you like history check out Fort Duffeild nearby you at West Point during Memorial Day weekend encampment among the civil war crowd under conditions of 'full immersion' replicating what times were like.

Also Civil War Days at Hart Co sometime in Summer. Every detail and historical fact of CW times been preserved for generations with walking, talking history re-enactors, musket shoot competitions and all kinds of cool stuff.

If I had to pin down a reason for Jackson Purchase even today feeling remote to the rest, it would be partly based on how life was lived 150 yrs ago. During that time West Point South of Louisville was considered the westernmost busy little river trade port town on the railroad line here that runs from Chicago to New Orleans. I think if folks at western regions feel gyped and left out, though aint no reason they should, its got alot to do with railroad lines running North/South setting the pace.
We went to Fort Duffield and hiked a few times but during the civil war days they want payment so we didn't go. We'll have to next time! We pass through West Point ALOT so I find these things interesting.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,318,640 times
Quote:
Is that 1850's or 1950???
1950's.

To follow up on your other point, a lot of confederate guerrillas did come out of that region. The famous raider Jerome Clarke, a/k/a "Sue Mundy", was hung in Louisville during the latter stages of the Civil War. He was so attractive that the papers spread rumors he was a woman in order to embarrass the union authorities.

Marcellus Jerome Clarke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2008, 11:08 AM

835 posts, read 2,613,546 times
i have never been out to the jackson purchase area but i have been to nearby dryersburg and memphis TN

Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
my gggrandfather rode with Quantrills raiders through the war and beyond, he was from Eastern Missouri. I read his memoir about 20 years ago, from what i remember, he never went east of paducah.
i am digging out my copy to re-read. Of course, he lived to be an old man, and might have sweetened up his own biography.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
my gggrandfather rode with Quantrills raiders through the war and beyond, he was from Eastern Missouri. I read his memoir about 20 years ago, from what i remember, he never went east of paducah.
i am digging out my copy to re-read. Of course, he lived to be an old man, and might have sweetened up his own biography.
That is very cool! Is it published?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
That is very cool! Is it published?
I come from a long line of reprobates!
He had it privately published for family and friends, most of the family still have copies.
He swam the Mississippi on xmas day from Kaskaskia Island to Chester, Il for a barrel of whiskey, whatta guy!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
He had it privately published for family and friends, most of the family still have copies.
I wonder if you should not approach a publishing house to see if it's publishable. There is a lot of interest in civil war diaries. I know the University of Louisiana has a terrific press that specializes in Civil War material, and my bet is that the University of Missouri might be interested as well.

You won't get rich (although if you do, I expect a new car!) but it would be great to have this shared outside of the family.

(I had an ancestor who was in the Union army stationed in Kentucky - maybe your great-great-grandfather took a shot at my great-great-grandfather!)

Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 AM

149 posts, read 702,792 times
For sure that kinda legacy means alot! I was stunned at intensity of Civil War re-enactors, many were literally filling shoes of direct anscestors, incredibly knowledgable. It was like they could spaek all day in character. Traditions been handed down across generations.

Missy, I hiked the back trail through the woods from lower parking lot at Ft.Duffield West Point to the encampment - not even knowing ticket booth at main entrance on top of the roadway hill was there, stepped into the Rebel Camp wearing my usual overalls and workboots. Glad nobody was firing live ammo or i mighta been shot. Re-enactors in full immersion of living history welcomed me stepping from trail in the woods practically as one of their own without stepping outa CW character - it was great!!

Kshe95gal I'll betcha Quantrill detachment of re-enactors wanna read those memoirs too, specially reviving gggp's acquaintance with em attaching stories and lore to their camp. Apparently Quantrill forces were hundreds strong at their peak in 1863 and ranged from Missouri to Texas from what I'm reading tonite. Then circa 1865 depleted remnants including Quantrill himself, after lengthy and healthy career massacring and burning towns out West were finally bagged in Spencer Co northeast of Hart Co Munfordville "Civil War Days" celebration on Dixie Hwy about halfway between Bowling Green and Louisville. Come visit us and join outrageous fun and festivities, meet gggp's pals and put yerself alongside him in the same timeframe.

Hart County Civil War Days Schedule (http://www.visitmunfordville.com/cwdays07.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or