Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

From the Courier-Journal (Sept. 23, 2010):
Two-thirds of Kentucky high school graduates aren't ready for college or careers, ratings show | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
LOL...What jobs?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Such data, as presented by the Courier-Journal, could have a negative effect on any employers considering a move (or expansion) to Kentucky. That could mean jobs. The report shows that Kentucky does not really care about education. Was a study necessary to find that out?
But, Kentuckians, tomorrow is a day of events that are really, really important: football games for the Cats and Cards!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Such data, as presented by the Courier-Journal, could have a negative effect on any employers considering a move (or expansion) to Kentucky. That could mean jobs. The report shows that Kentucky does not really care about education. Was a study necessary to find that out?
But, Kentuckians, tomorrow is a day of events that are really, really important: football games for the Cats and Cards!
If everyone already knows that KY has a lousy education system, do you really think a study will matter either way? Corpo's are worried about one thing...money. How many tax incentives they will get, how cheap the labor will be, etc. So how do you propose the state improve their educational system? Let me guess...

Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
If Kentucky wants to compete with more prosperous Southern states like Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee this has GOT to change.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
If everyone already knows that KY has a lousy education system, do you really think a study will matter either way? Corpo's are worried about one thing...money. How many tax incentives they will get, how cheap the labor will be, etc. So how do you propose the state improve their educational system? Let me guess...
Basketball and football are very important high school sports in Kentucky. That's fine. It wouldn't be bad if the students (and parents) also put some emphasis on education as well.
Of 50 states, Kentucky ranks 49 in number of high school diplomas. Mississippi, the nation's poorest state, brings up the bottom at number 50.
Of that one third that qualifies for college, I'll bet most of them will study, get their degree and depart Kentucky.
Maybe the most troubling part of the report is that the vast majority of Kentuckians will merely shrug their shoulders and say 'oh, well.' That's all the concern the situation will receive.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Basketball and football are very important high school sports in Kentucky. That's fine. It wouldn't be bad if the students (and parents) also put some emphasis on education as well.
Of 50 states, Kentucky ranks 49 in number of high school diplomas. Mississippi, the nation's poorest state, brings up the bottom at number 50.
Of that one third that qualifies for college, I'll bet most of them will study, get their degree and depart Kentucky.
Maybe the most troubling part of the report is that the vast majority of Kentuckians will merely shrug their shoulders and say 'oh, well.' That's all the concern the situation will receive.
You may have better data than me, but according to this:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

81.8% of Kentuckians have a HS diploma or higher. That ranks them 44th. Not good by any means, but like I said, what are YOU going to do about it? Shall we raise taxes out the rear? Do we not pay enough as it is? Everything is money and that's all it will take. My child is in one of the best districts in KY, so I am happy with the education he will get.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You may have better data than me, but according to this:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

81.8% of Kentuckians have a HS diploma or higher. That ranks them 44th. Not good by any means, but like I said, what are YOU going to do about it? Shall we raise taxes out the rear? Do we not pay enough as it is? Everything is money and that's all it will take. My child is in one of the best districts in KY, so I am happy with the education he will get.
How high is the bar for getting a HS diploma in Kentucky, especially in rural Kentucky? I've encountered adults with high school diplomas who have difficulty with 5th grade level english.
Money (taxes) may not solve the problem. A change in attitude might.
From various info I hear that the Louisville area has some excellent schools. This may not be as big a problem in Louisville as it is in other Kentucky areas.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 PM

I am not worried about the Murray Independent SD. They have a 98% graduation rate and great ACT scores. The parents and teachers care in the MISD. I know my son will get a good education and probably go on to a great college, all in the same town. Other school districts...I can't help them.

Now what's the football score!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
There's no jobs. The jobs that are there usually don't require an education.

But seriously, how are them Cats doing?? Cause THATS whats important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky