Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM

18 posts, read 66,442 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year!

My husband is looking into a new job that is located in Nicholasville, Ky. We will be traveling there the weekend of the 18th and were wondering if anyone could give us a little insite as to what the area is like. We have a young son (6) and are very interested as to the school systems. Also, we are interested in purchasing a home but want at least 5-10 acres. Any info you could provide us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM

486 posts, read 1,891,187 times
First off, welcome! Nicholasville is a very nice town. I believe under Jessamine County law all new homes being built are required to sit on at least one acre of land or at least that was what I was told by people I know who live there. Jessamine County schools on the whole are good, maybe not quite up to par with Fayette County (Lexington), but nevertheless are still good. Are you looking just in public schools or are you considering private schools also. Lexington has some excellent private schools. If your husband's job is in Nicholasville then traffic will not be much of a problem. US 27 and US 68 (27 is MUCH worse) get extremely congested during rush hour with people commuting into Lexington. As far as terrain goes, you're in central Kentucky, home to lush rolling hills and beautiful farmland so if that is what you like I think you will be pretty happy here. Winters are cold, but not nearly as brutal as they are up north, today was around 25- 30, pretty standard for January. Summers are very humid with temperature soaring into the upper 90's with almost 100% humidity. That's what usually drives people up a wall when they first move here. People are generally friendly and here and there some random person will come up to you and ask you about your day, to some it's nice and to others it can be quite annoying. I've lived here my whole life (I'm only 17 by the way) and have gotten used to the type of people that live here. Homes in Nicholasville won't be quite as much as Lexington (which is the most expensive city in KY by the way), but you can find a nice home for a good price (maybe a four bedroom for $300,000 or so). I think you will really like it here, but you picked the nastiest time of year to visit weather- wise. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM

18 posts, read 66,442 times
teebird1012 - Thank you for your response. I'm coming from Michigan so I don't think I will mind the weather to much as we are "freezing" here w/ snow. We are interested in all the surrounding area around Nicholasville and were planning on visiting Versailles as I have read a lot of very nice things about it. We are looking forward to our trip there. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Jena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky