Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,857,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Considering when the TVA took over all this land, they had a way of taking care of families who wouldn't move. They would have some men get them out to the front yard to talk about it. While they are "talking", a dozer that had been hidden in the woods behind the house while the family wasn't home, totally destroys their home, not even giving them time to get their belongings out. This happened to many families between the rivers.
Hey gman...where can I find some history of the LBL/LBR...when it was first envisioned...when it all started, the process to acquire the land, length of time to build the dams and what ever else...just curious. I've been out that way several times, now youns got me interested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
Hogs, this is the facebook page for descendants and family members of those who used to live between the rivers. You can ask questions of the people there. You'll see a lot of pictures of the towns that used to be between the rivers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/105102006245248/
Also check out Between The Rivers.
Scroll down to "a story of TVA's removal of families from the land between the rivers". You can read how they burned an elderly woman's home to the ground.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hogs, this is the facebook page for descendants and family members of those who used to live between the rivers. You can ask questions of the people there. You'll see a lot of pictures of the towns that used to be between the rivers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/105102006245248/
Also check out Between The Rivers.
Scroll down to "a story of TVA's removal of families from the land between the rivers". You can read how they burned an elderly woman's home to the ground.
Thanks gman...I appreciate you doing this for me. I've known of the LBL all my life but never thought about the history. If you find anything else pass it along please, and I'll do the same.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Here's another page that just started.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...932812&fref=nf

Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Wow...I always thought that both dams were built around the same time but, there is probably 25 years between them.

Looks like the process to acquire the property was so gradual, the land owners wasn't supposed to notice until it was too late, removing the easiest obstacle's first. The people were nothing more than a tree in the path. For everyone to get a better perspective and, before commenting, they should read Mr. Nickell's eye witness personal account of the injustice that took place. Like some other locations in our great State, the people were made to be a novelty of to do with at the Governments whelm without ANY regard to the owners/residents. Just another case of "The Government knows best".

We have riverboats that anchor from time to time for their entertainment also.

Still looking into this...thanks gman.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:43 PM

536 posts, read 953,639 times
I have this site bookmarked, but I bet KYgman has a lot more information about it. History of the Land Between the Lakes

Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 PM

536 posts, read 953,639 times
Oh I posted my post before I saw Kygman had already answered sorry about that. It sure does have an interesting and sad history!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM

My wife's family lived between the rivers. Her mother and uncle were born in Golden Pond. Her grandfather moved from Golden Pond in the 40s before all this took place. Her family cemetery is located just off the Trace (main north/south road through the LBL). On the third Sunday in May every year they have a family homecoming. There's a little cleaning of the cemetery, old artificial flowers are taken down and new ones are put up. Photo albums and family histories are pulled out and they walk around showing everybody and trying to name everybody in the pictures. Then the food comes out! I never thought about eating in a cemetery, but I have never seen so much food in all my life. They average around 100 relatives. On the food, you're supposed to cook enough for your family and put it all in the pot luck, but some usually cook, or stop at the store and pick up, more than that. By the next day, my wife is looking forward to the next year. There are several families who do this in their family cemeteries each year.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 PM

New scenery management plan for LBL comes under fire - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority

Old 12-11-2014, 03:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,629,613 times
Horrible on so many different levels. Truly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky