Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. Growing up in SE Missouri, I always felt like the only part of KY that was Western KY was west of Kentucky Lake. I usually just call it the Purchase to distinguish it from the other areas that could be considered Western Kentucky though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Interesting thread. Growing up in SE Missouri, I always felt like the only part of KY that was Western KY was west of Kentucky Lake. I usually just call it the Purchase to distinguish it from the other areas that could be considered Western Kentucky though.
True alot of western kentuckians call that area "The Purchase" but actually anything west of Hardin and LaRue counties in central Kentucky, I always heard as being considered "Western Kentucky" officially

Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
I love maps too Eric. Always studying them. Yeah I was wondering where NKY ended too. I know if you count Boone, Kenton and Campbell Counties, that would be the true northern KY area, but now Grant is also sort of part of NKY and Scott county would be on the very edge. Then you have the by the river like Brooksville, Maysville, Agusta. Places like that, not sure if they would be considered part of northern KY or not. And how far does Western KY go? Some consider Owensboro part of the western KY region. Which is farther from that area known as Western KY.
I've always mostly heard Owensboro to be considered "Western Kentucky"

Although sometimes I've heard it referred to as "North Western Kentucky" also....not as commonly as just plain western, but I've heard the term "north western" used at times.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
KY's geographic center is either Lebanon Junction (Southern Bullitt Co) or near Lebanon w/o a junction (Marion Co). Either way there is very little land area NW of the point. Based on LJ only small areas hugging the Ohio River from Henderson to I-65 are NW KY. Use the other one it's the same but far enough south to include all of the counties from Henderson to I-65. So basically Louisville, Ft Knox, Owensboro, and Henderson are NW Kentucky.

Remember, Paducah - though on the northern border - is as far south as Somerset. Cairo IL is as far south as Corbin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky