U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 15,194 times
Default Kentucky wildlife

What kind of wildlife is in Kentucky? In particular, in the small towns surrounding Lexington? I was wondering about bears, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. and I would also be interested to find out what type of snakes are indigenous to Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,560,114 times
This may help:

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources - Species Information, Maps, and GIS

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM

5,641 posts, read 12,677,931 times
The Bluegrass region has less wildlife of all kinds because there is very little forest separated by miles of open fields

In the Eastern KY mountains and parts of South Central KY there are a few Black Bears, Copperhead snakes, and very rarely a report of Mountain Lions. Coyotes are common throughout the state

Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 PM

There are also copperheads in Louisville. As a matter of fact, there was a hatchling brought into the zoo that had been found in Iroquois park.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 AM

149 posts, read 526,540 times
Yeah but it's unheard that copperhead bite actually kills human being, they shy and timid little critters with not alot of toxicity in venom. The coolest snake I've seen in person was rare and harmless hog-nosed snake, notorious for resembling and putting on display of deadly adder... hissing and raising hell when you meet em, though there's nothing poisonous about em at all. Sadly now the hog-nosed snake is near extinct on account of people gettin scared by hog-nose snake's performance and killing em on sight. I guess people hatin snakes must like rats'n mice.

Meanwhile foxes staging comeback in vacinity of Ft.Knox military reservation couple of yrs ago. Gorgeous critters with red hair fur and huge bushy tail, seen couple of them myself. Fox visited and temporarily "terrorized" trailerpark where I lived at Radcliff, one snatched a cat outside the cat lady's trailer. Crazy but amiable old gal had something like a dozen cats livin with her. And smelling lotsa cat peee, y'all caint blame the fox.

Yeppers, there's tons of wildlife at Kentucky including 12 different species of squirrel (our state/national mammal) that deserves respect and recognition at being allowed to live forever wild and free says me.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 01-15-2008 at 01:26 AM..

Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 AM

I agree KY. I don't have a single problem with snakes. I have seen coyote and foxes(there were some in the zoo that were killing the collection bar-head geese, left those danged Canada Geese alone) and to me those things are beautiful! Oh, and there was the time that a fox was running down the street next to the zoo (through a neighborhood) and we tried to chase it back into the woods so it wouldn't get hit. Yes, we do have a variety!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,984,906 times
I'm on the outer edge of Jefferson County on 5 wooded acres and we have a bunch of wildlife. We've got deer, turkey, coyotes and my wife running around in the back yard.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,258,586 times
Don't forget the elk herds that have been reintroduced into the eastern parts of the state. They are apparently thriving and are holding very controlled hunting seasons to boost tourism.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
my wife running around in the back yard.
LOL LOL How cute!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM

88 posts, read 255,876 times
This is probably just a rumor, but supposedly in a certain area in Eastern Kentucky there are a few wolves making a comeback. I was told this by a cousin, I didnt believe it, in fact I asked him if he meant coyotes, but he swears wolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky