U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

Looking for some info on areas of the state that have good boating. Looking for relocation help.
What I am looking for is, a job I'm not retiered. I have many skills. CDL. BP2, maint. and mechanic skills, construction etc. don't mind a small commute. Not the big city type! Smaller towns would be best.
Looking for small house w/acreage for horses. NO HOA,s or gated communitiy B.S. Have had my fill of that in Co. whole state is getting that way sorry to say! In an area with good motorcycle riding, rafting, camping and most anything outdoors. Like the mountains, coming from Colo. Don't care much about shopping, just the basics.
I will be taking some time off this spring to look around. any sugestions would be great.
Do most counties allow RV,s on your land, or is this a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM

88 posts, read 362,935 times
My suggestion to you would be Eastern Kentucky, but especially Pike County. I'm not sure about the boating opportunities in Pike County, but there is one lake that I know of--fishtrap lake. Several other counties in the region have bigger lakes.

In Pike County there is a park that straddles the Virginia line called the Breaks Interstate Park, it is located in the mountains and they have whitewater rafting.

I will tell you this--outside the corporation limits of any small town in Eastern Kentucky, zoning laws are almost non existent. You can have RV's, trailers, barns, just about anything you want, you cauld park 50 RV's on your land and get by with it.

The scenery in Eastern Kentucky is beautiful, there is alot of poverty though, but you just get used to it.

As for jobs, I believe you should be able to find something given your skills.

Property is cheap in Eastern Kentucky, so are property taxes. The only drawback is that car insurance is almost double what it is everywhere else.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

9,852 posts, read 21,153,148 times
As far as huge lakes, the main areas are Lake Cumberland located in South Central Kentucky and the Land Between the Lakes area of far Western KY, home to Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

Land around these areas would run less than $5,000 per acre (maybe alot less), not counting lakefront areas of course.

Parts of the Cumberland River and one of its tributaries, the Big South Fork, are excellent for whitewater rafting, with alot of tourism devoted to it.
Whitewater Rafting, Canoeing and Instruction with Sheltowee Trace Outfitters in South-Central Kentucky on the Cumberland River.

The only place where there would be regulations on RVs or off road vehicles would be in the Daniel Boone National Forest, which runs generally from McCreary County to near Morehead KY.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,606 times
Default Thanks for the info

Anyone else care to offer up other places feel free to do so. I'm just an old ski bum / raft guide / scooter trash, looking for a place to live I can afford. Keep in mind I like cold beer! Would hate to have to drive a 100 miles for a six pack. The again might be fun. Any rafting in the ashland area, Corbin / London? Those areas look nice to me.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 PM

88 posts, read 362,935 times
Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner here.

The majority of Eastern Kentucky is dry, however a few counties do allow alcohol. Pike County itself is dry, however the city is wet, so you should be able to get beer there.

Floyd County is wet, Dewey Lake and Jenny Wiley state park are in Floyd county.

Johnson Co is dry

Martin County is dry

Lawrence county is dry

Knott County is dry

Leslie county is dry

Clay county is dry

Letcher county, Im not sure, but it used to be dry

Same with Harlan co.

Perry County is wet

Magoffin county is wet

Good luck in your search.

I still think Pike County would be good for you, considering the outdoor aspect.

Southern Kentucky in Corbin and London also have alot of outdoor activities around.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM

23 posts, read 64,719 times
Breaks Interstate Park is also called "The Grand Canyon of the South"

Breaks Interstate Park: Home

IMO the best white water rafting in the eastern US. Has class IV-VI rating.

Pikeville would probably be the biggest town near by. Pikeville's population is around 8,000. I've not spent a ton of time there, but it has always seemed bigger than that to me. The county (Pike County) has a population of around 80,000. I'm assuming that most folks in the county work in Pikeville, which would explain why it never seemed small. Hopefully some folks from that area can give you a little better feeling for it.

Ashland is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky