Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times

Advertisements

What about you guys or usezzz guys like they say in Brooklyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
No.

Just no.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Ya'll. But some northern/midwestern transplants in Louisville haven't gotten with the program yet (it took me about twenty years).

Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Fahgedaboutit.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Heart of the Bluegrass here.

I use "you all" and "y'all" equally, I expect. The first is a bit more formal; the second gets used in casual conversations with friends. "You all" can also be used a little more emphatically than "y'all".

I almost never use "you guys", unless addressing a group of little boys. Even then, I'm more likely to use "you all". I absolutely never use "you guys" with a group of women. Women are not "guys".

As for your other questions, northern Kentucky speech resembles that of Cincinnati, whose native residents' speech continues to include a lot of German influence, in word usage, sentence structure, and accent.

Many residents of the more rural parts of Kentucky tend to sound a bit more nasal and twangy than do city residents, at least to me.

Eastern Kentucky is quite distinctive, with some words which are rarely used elsewhere being retained in everyday speech ("poke" for "bag" or "sack"), and a distinctive accent and rise and fall of language. Speech here often seems to be a little slower-paced than elsewhere, and many vowels sound flattened. Concluding "g"s often are dropped, and "a" is sometimes attached to verbs: "Are you a-goin' to town today?", although this is heard less frequently now.
Well, I'm glad we got one issue cleared up...thanks Mr. Creek

Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
We say youn's. Just thought I would throw that little tid-bit of information in...carry on.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I always say "You guys"...occasionally you might get a "you all".
(But I have also lived a couple other places in the US...but that was years ago.)

Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
We say youn's. Just thought I would throw that little tid-bit of information in...carry on.
My widely-disliked junior high math teacher would address my class thusly: "You-uns is the worstest kids I ever done seen!"

(Edited to add that this individual was just about the worstest teacher I ever done had...)

Old 06-23-2015, 08:16 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My widely-disliked junior high math teacher would address my class thusly: "You-uns is the worstest kids I ever done seen!"

(Edited to add that this individual was just about the worstest teacher I ever done had...)
My moms side are from the country outside of Albany Kentucky and my dad's side, is from the country outside of Bradyville in Cannon County Tennessee. Both sides used the word "you'ns" quite a bit. I say it when I'm not thinking about it. They would also say y'all and you all, but you'ns is the one they used the most.

I would almost bet money your math teacher was just trying to be funny by talking like that. I'm almost sure he knew better.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
My moms side are from the country outside of Albany Kentucky and my dad's side, is from the country outside of Bradyville in Cannon County Tennessee. Both sides used the word "you'ns" quite a bit. I say it when I'm not thinking about it. They would also say y'all and you all, but you'ns is the one they used the most.

I would almost bet money your math teacher was just trying to be funny by talking like that. I'm almost sure he knew better.
No...his grammar would slip when he got mad at the class, which was an almost daily occurrence, and I can't remember that he ever made jokes. He seemed humorless, in fact. He was very fond of pop quizzes with only three questions/problems, so we'd either get 100%, 66%, 33% - or zero (70% was a passing grade). He'd write our scores in his grade book, then average them at the end of the grading period to determine our letter grace. I'm not sure how homework assignments were factored into this system.

We'd also get a zero if we made a mistake on board work - but if we got the problem correct, we'd only get a check-mark in his grade book, rather than 100%. I stayed after school one day (I was in his class last hour) and confronted him about that - which didn't help at all, of course, and probably made things worse. He had me pegged as a C student - even told my parents that was all I was, at a parents' night conference. Too bad he never saw my PSAT score the following year: 98th percentile in mathematic aptitude.

He was from West Virginia or perhaps eastern Kentucky, iirc. His surname is still fairly common in eastern Kentucky, and his accent and word usage reflected his background. He didn't last too many years teaching twelve and thirteen-year-olds, which is just as well, as he was a poor teacher who did not like or understand kids at all.

He's still a topic of conversation at our class reunions, and the consensus is always the same. We just share remembered horror stories of enduring his class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky