U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,779 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are beginning to look seriously at retirement and being that I hate cold weather, our current state of residence, Michigan, is out of the question! My heart has always been in Kentucky and that is ranking high. Our main concern is for our 16 yr old son who is autistic. While we do not want to be right in town, we do need to be in an area where services are available. The areas south of Lexington looks interesting... the same with Louisville. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,905 times
Hi. We are thinking of relocating to KY and are looking for a historical home... we came across one on-line in Hodgenville. We have 4 children in elementary school. They are active in soccer, basketball, etc. We want a safe, small town where they can easily make friends and walk to local parks, etc. Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 32,274 times
Thanks for the replies, I ended up buying a house in Owensboro 2 months ago. Just so you know, we love it here.

Last edited by Renna; 02-06-2008 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM

10 posts, read 33,598 times
Dude Where Did You Fall Off The Wagon?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 119,451 times
We moved to Shelbyville from California (although I am a Louisville native, husband is a Southern California native) and we both love it. We built a house here and it's down to earth and a great, small community.

Oldham County - Crestwood, Buckner, etc - is also very nice.

Both counties are about a 20 minute drive from Louisville and all the shopping, restaurants, etc. Shelby County is less expensive for housing than Oldham County, if that makes a difference.

Versailles is another wonderful area that draws lots of retirees. It's just west of Lexington. It was the setting for the film Elizabethtown (how ironic that that movie wasn't actually filmed in Elizabethtown much at all!) and for many scenes in the movies Dreamer and Seabiscuit.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,309 times
i am thinking of moving to independence ky with my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. if anyone can tell me more about that area i would really appreciate it. i am 57 moving there with my dog!!! what are jobs like in that area and housing.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen View Post
i am thinking of moving to independence ky with my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. if anyone can tell me more about that area i would really appreciate it. i am 57 moving there with my dog!!! what are jobs like in that area and housing.
Northern Kentucky has a lot of job growth because of the Cincinati/ NKY Airport located in Boone County and due to a lot of jobs moving there from Ohio. Boone and Kenton Counties are among the wealthiest, best educated, and fastest growing in the state

Northern KY certainly isn't short on shopping - there are lot of large shopping centers along I-275, Dixie Hwy (US 127), and US 27. The largest of these is in Florence, which has one of KY's largest malls

Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM

19 posts, read 54,503 times
Default moving

A good place with a small town and down to earth people, decent jobs and afforable housing would be Frenchburg, Kentucky. Now about the drugs that is about everywhere anymore.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times
I hate to break it guys, but the original poster of this question posted it in 2006. I'm sure he's long gone from the Kentucky forum (at least, this question) by now.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,302,449 times
Default Nah, I'm still here

And I read all the answers faithfully. Unfortunately my hubby won't go. He lets his family dictate where we should be. Heck, I finally convinced him that moving from Philly would be in our best interest. But everytime I mention I found a place somewhere in the 'burbs of Philly, they say it's too far away from them. Maybe I don't want to live around the corner from them?! Anyway, all I can do right now is dream of Ky. & wide open spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky