Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM

269 posts, read 812,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
And I read all the answers faithfully. Unfortunately my hubby won't go. He lets his family dictate where we should be. Heck, I finally convinced him that moving from Philly would be in our best interest. But everytime I mention I found a place somewhere in the 'burbs of Philly, they say it's too far away from them. Maybe I don't want to live around the corner from them?! Anyway, all I can do right now is dream of Ky. & wide open spaces.
Ahhh!! Sounds like my situation! lol. My boyfriend refuses to leave the big bustlin cities of Southern California. I just hate it here and have for years. I'm a slow pace person but him on the other hand, he's just afraid to let go of the fast pace stress this place gives you. (Kind of doesn't make sense since all he does aside from work is stay home anyway! He loves that TV) So I figure, what's he gonna miss? We both have two children each from our prior marriages and he doesn't want to be "too far" from his kids in Nevada. (Both our ex spouses live in different states) Sorry to say honey, but a plane ticket from Cali to Nevada isn't that much cheaper than one from Kentucky. Either way, it's still a plane ride away whether it's one state away or six states away, you still have to hop on a plane... right?

Gosh, I sound mean don't I... I don't know, that's just how I see it with the whole family situation. If you're moving away from family and you'd have to get on a plane to visit, then the distance shouldn't matter as long as the life-style you're adopting is healthier, cheaper, and better since either way there's a plane ride between you... It's just the length of time on the plane that differs. Men. Just kidding guys.

BUT, I have convinced him, so cross my fingers that his "change of heart" sticks til we actually move next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,909 times
Default I feel his family is trying to hold us back

Heaven forbid we try to do better for ourselves; we might do better than them. I did change his mind about moving. He wasn't willing before until his bro got married & moved to the burbs like the rest of his family. Now it's a pain just to visit any of them (he also has 3 sisters). Since we don't drive, someone has to drive to the city to get us then drive us back & forth. The only time his family really wants to know us is when they need something or if they're throwing a party that requires gifts. Any other time we don't hear from them. So now he wants to move closer to them thinking they'll involve him more in their "busy" lives. I still have family here in the city & the surrounding burbs but it won't bother me to move farther away. My family's tighter so I know we'll stay in touch via phone calls, snail & e-mails.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 AM

3 posts, read 11,235 times
Unhappy Munfordville

We moved from indiana to ky. Munfordville is home to us now, after 2 long years of heartaches and headaches in trying find someone to build our home. The real estate agent never told us about the drugs situation, and we wrongfully presumed that medical services is accesible. Moving to Ky is the worst mistake we have ever made. Glasgow (Walmart) is about 30 miles away, and the local store IGA is quite high with their commodities. E.Town is about 40 miles away, and there is nothing in leitchfield.
Too late to say now, but we should have researched on the internet before making this wrong move. Where would i want to live?? What about oregon??

Old 03-17-2008, 05:34 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Default Don't condemn the entire state..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilien View Post
We moved from indiana to ky. Munfordville is home to us now, after 2 long years of heartaches and headaches in trying find someone to build our home. The real estate agent never told us about the drugs situation, and we wrongfully presumed that medical services is accesible. Moving to Ky is the worst mistake we have ever made. Glasgow (Walmart) is about 30 miles away, and the local store IGA is quite high with their commodities. E.Town is about 40 miles away, and there is nothing in leitchfield.
Too late to say now, but we should have researched on the internet before making this wrong move. Where would i want to live?? What about oregon??
You have condemned an entire state as well as the entire real estate industry. This is as unreal as cow's jumping over moons. While your personal experience may have been very real and truly tragic, it is by far much more of an exception than normal.

I think it is important to note that the situation with Meth is a national rural crisis, not just a Kentucky issue. It is bad, and likely going to get worse as the economy falters.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 AM

Meth isn't just a rural thing; I've seen it here in the city since I was a child. It isn't a West Coast thing either. Growing up in the 70's, the apt. building across the street housed a meth lab in the basement & the landlord only rented to junkies. It wasn't uncommon to see the residents freaking on the street day or night. All the neighbors knew what was going on. The cops also knew about it but wouldn't do anything. The place finally burnt down in the late 80's/early90's (lab explosion). Where I'm living now, we had a meth lab next door to us. We reported it to the police but they didn't seem to want to get involved. But they did go to the landlord to tell him the neighbors were suspicious that his tenants were running a meth lab on his property. Well, it took about 6months but he finally evicted them & sold the house. The new owners aren't much better. I don't think they have a meth lab but I do suspect they're involved in drugs.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Oh, I agree, meth is a tragic national malfunction. Urban, Suburban, Rural all are affected, but I was responding principally to the previous writer.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Default No argument

In a way so was I. It's everywhere (incl. Oregon). And sometimes it seems that the more rural (or isolated) a place is, the more likely you are to find it. These bozos want to be someplace far away from nosy neighbors & police surveillence. But that is also a mistaken common belief. These junkies have no problem setting up shop anywhere - even hotel/motel rooms, the trunks of cars & state parks.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,031 times
My husband and I are looking to leave Milwaukee, WI. and we are looking to move to KY. I would like some input on the school system in KY. I am not sure if I want to move to Louisville. But would like to live and a smaller city surronding Louisville (suburban area). I have four children ages 11, 8, and 7 yr. old twins. I work in the Mortgage industry and my husband is a social worker. How is the employment industy there in those fields?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,915 times
Hi im considering moving to Kentucky. Its my first move along with my two kids ages 12 and 5. its a spure of the moment thing getting out of a bad marriage and being laid off all within 5 months. Could this be a place to make a fresh start?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Dear Sewell1981 and thammond...

I have lived in Kentucky all my 57 years of earthly life. I have lived in northwestern Kentucky, Louisville, and Oldham County. While I often wonder about someday going back to live in Daviess or McLean Counties, I will be perfectly satisfied to live out my days right here in Oldham County. I am a real estate broker and auctioneer, and my wife works as the human resources director of a 700 employee firm. We are members of a small but growing traditionally based church, we buy as often as we can from Oldham County businesses, support our schools, our children, and our governments (we do get involved when they act like teenagers and don't think their actions through). We enjoy the knowledge that our schools are not just the best in Kentucky but as a system we are often nationally recognized. We enjoy the security that outstanding police, fire, ems, and medical systems offer. We also are comforted to know that our home values are stable, that our doors can actually still be left unlocked, though not as comfortably as we could when kids, and that our neighbors really do care about us.

As a real estate professional, I can tell Sewell that the mortgage industry is alive, but not necessarity setting record paces. There is always room for a qualified professional in most any Kentucky business.

Thammond, fresh starts are often imaginary pots at the end of the rainbow, but if you are looking for rainbow ends, Kentucky is as good as it gets. You'll find people here who will really care about you if you let them. You'll find people willing to allow you to cry, to yell, or even kick a little ... I only say to you don't come here expecting this place to end all your worries.

Last edited by tomocox; 10-30-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky