U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM

153 posts, read 490,769 times
Default How's the commute from Frankfort to Lexington?

Mapquest says about 39 minutes, does that seem accurate? How's traffic usually?

Also, I was looking at the crime statistics for Frankfort and it's twice the national average which seems really high for such a small city. Is it really that dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 12,525,221 times
Frankfort is a nice historic city with a lot of older areas. I don't think crime is that big a problem, but if it worries you there are many nice surrounding towns to consider:

Shelbyville to the West
Lawrenceburg to the South
Georgetown to the East
Versailes to the Southeast

Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM

I am considering those areas as well, but I found a home with a great price tag in Frankfort. So now I'm just wondering if I can handle living 30 minutes away from...everything. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of shopping and such in Frankfort. At least beyond the local Walmart...am I wrong about that?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM

5,570 posts, read 12,525,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I am considering those areas as well, but I found a home with a great price tag in Frankfort. So now I'm just wondering if I can handle living 30 minutes away from...everything. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of shopping and such in Frankfort. At least beyond the local Walmart...am I wrong about that?
No, Frankfort has about everything that Lexington has in terms of national chain stores and restaurants, except a large mall and Meijers. It has a much better park system than Lexington, too.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

666 posts, read 1,549,526 times
it probably depends where in lexington you are commuting to, but it takes me less then 39 minutes to get from Frankfort to exit 115 in Lexington, mostly because you can usually go about 80-85 the whole way.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,947,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
it probably depends where in lexington you are commuting to, but it takes me less then 39 minutes to get from Frankfort to exit 115 in Lexington, mostly because you can usually go about 80-85 the whole way.

Well, going 85 to get to exit 115 is better than going 115 to get to exit 85!

It's all interstate, so my guess is you can get from the middle of Frankfort to the middle of Lexington in about 30 mintues. But you'll probably have to add 15 minutes during rush hour, and more if there is an accident.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM

486 posts, read 1,202,465 times
It's not a horrendous commute. Again from the Frankfort exits to the edge of Lexington is about 30 minutes or so and then add to where in Lexington you'll be working. During rush hour you could expect commuting times of about 45- 50 minutes, again depending on where in Lexington you are going. In regards to your crime question, I don't think that statistic is completely accurate. Frankfort is not that dangerous of a town. It's comparable to Lexington, but maybe because Frankfort is a much smaller town the stats are higher. That's just my guess.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM

889 posts, read 1,909,968 times
Frankfort is not a bad town. However, the joke has always been that they roll up the streets at 5:00 when the state workers disperse to their home towns. As for parks I am not familiar with Frankfort's but Lexington actually has a great park system.
PARKS -- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government

Old 01-30-2008, 12:34 PM

70 posts, read 140,742 times
I used to do the commute from Lexington to Frankfort before I found a house here. It's not a bad drive at all. It also depends on which route you take. If you want to go the interstate that's a pretty quick trip. If you prefer going U.S. 421 which is Leestown Road (2 lane), there are no traffic lights between Frankfort and Lexington which is nice and it's a pleasant drive. You can also take U.S. 60 (Versailles Rd.) (4 lane) but you have traffic lights in Versailles which slow down the traffic flow a little bit.

I really don't consider Frankfort to have much crime compared to most places I've lived. The crime rate is higher in Lexington but that is also affected by the area of the city which you live. I've never once regretted moving to Frankfort. It's a lovely little town with very friendly people. There is a good variety of places to shop and eat for a town this size.

I live here so if you have any questions, PM me. I'd be glad to help!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, I've decided it doesn't sound like that bad of a drive after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky