Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking about moving to KY from Princeton, NJ, with my two children. Originally from Europe, I have moved to the States when I was 20 and have lived in Santa Barbara, CA, San Francisco, CA, New York, NY, Boone, NC and Princeton, NJ. I have liked all of these places really, if I had to find faults, I would say I found Santa Barbara and Boone lacking in culture, Manhattan to be too crazy and fast-spaced, San Francisco too, well, moderate in everything (a bit passion-less to my taste), and Princeton rather timid. I love the Lake Placid area in terms of natural beauty (and natural beauty is very important to me), but no so much the people and I adore Charleston, however it is a bit hot for me. I am at complete loss as to where to move (at this point, right after a divorce and just before getting my Master's in counseling), I have relative freedom as to where to go. The must-list goes as follows:

1, It has to be gorgeous in terms of nature
2, People has to have enough money and cultural inclination to pay for psychological services. I don't have to work around the clock, but at least part-time.
3, There has to be a culturally relevant town or city nearby, 40 minutes drive tops (as long as it has a live theatre and some nice cafes, restaurants, a library, I am okay),
4, Relatively good education within driving distance
5, People need to be kind and friendly, open-minded in terms of new-comers, cultural differences, etc.
6, The climate can be colder or warmer, but nothing too extreme (that is why I ruled Florida out immediately); I grow roses, so something that is not colder than Zone 6 would be nice.
7, Safe and kids-friendly environment

I have been looking at Murray and Bardstown, but I really have not been to either places yet, so I am trying to get a feel as to what area to see when I go and visit. Also, even though at the moment I am contemplating Kentucky, I am not attached to the State so feel free to mention something else, if you think I might like it. I appreciate any advise, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:11 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Strike Kentucky off your list, especially because of #5. #4 is also rare. #3 is a stretch, especially after some of the places you have already lived.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:52 PM

409 posts, read 872,539 times
Hmmm, Bardstown might meet what you're looking for (I've never lived in Bardstown so I can't say for sure one way or the other). There should be some threads on this forum talking about Bardstown, also maybe in the Louisville sub forum since Bardstown is so close to Louisville.

I can't really say anything about Murray one way or the other.

Some additional towns I might suggest is Shelbyville which is just east of Louisville, Prospect and LaGrange which are northeast of Louisville.

The big suggestion I would make is Danville which is southwest of Lexington. It is particularly nice this time of year. It also home of Centre College which has a good national reputation. Danville checks off your boxes, well in my opinion it does.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
Hello,

I am thinking about moving to KY from Princeton, NJ, with my two children. Originally from Europe, I have moved to the States when I was 20 and have lived in Santa Barbara, CA, San Francisco, CA, New York, NY, Boone, NC and Princeton, NJ. I have liked all of these places really, if I had to find faults, I would say I found Santa Barbara and Boone lacking in culture, Manhattan to be too crazy and fast-spaced, San Francisco too, well, moderate in everything (a bit passion-less to my taste), and Princeton rather timid. I love the Lake Placid area in terms of natural beauty (and natural beauty is very important to me), but no so much the people and I adore Charleston, however it is a bit hot for me. I am at complete loss as to where to move (at this point, right after a divorce and just before getting my Master's in counseling), I have relative freedom as to where to go. The must-list goes as follows:

1, It has to be gorgeous in terms of nature
2, People has to have enough money and cultural inclination to pay for psychological services. I don't have to work around the clock, but at least part-time.
3, There has to be a culturally relevant town or city nearby, 40 minutes drive tops (as long as it has a live theatre and some nice cafes, restaurants, a library, I am okay),
4, Relatively good education within driving distance
5, People need to be kind and friendly, open-minded in terms of new-comers, cultural differences, etc.
6, The climate can be colder or warmer, but nothing too extreme (that is why I ruled Florida out immediately); I grow roses, so something that is not colder than Zone 6 would be nice.
7, Safe and kids-friendly environment

I have been looking at Murray and Bardstown, but I really have not been to either places yet, so I am trying to get a feel as to what area to see when I go and visit. Also, even though at the moment I am contemplating Kentucky, I am not attached to the State so feel free to mention something else, if you think I might like it. I appreciate any advise, thank you!
1. Kentucky in general is a gorgeous state, as far as the outdoors go, very green and forested. Lots of lakes,waterfalls, Hiking trails. It's hard to beat the Daniel Boone Forest, the Cumberland Mountains, Land Between the Lakes,Cumberland Falls, the horse farms of the Bluegrass Region...It can be a bit gray in the winter months though, especially Jan and Feb.

2. Anywhere close to Louisville, Lexington or Cincinnati...probably more.

3. I have lived in Louisville and Lexington and think either would fit the bill (but we may seem lacking since you have lived in NYC and Frisco.

4. Lots of Colleges and Universities in Louisville and Lexington and the surrounding areas. Lexington was rated as one of the most educated cities in America.

The Most and Least Educated Cities in America: Men's Health.com

and one of the top 25 most Literate cities in America.

25 Most Literate U.S. Cities For 2012

one of the top ten cities as far as quality of Life

The 10 Cities With The Highest Quality Of Life

And one of the top ten cities in America to raise a family.

The 100 best places to raise kids - TODAY.com

5. In Lexington we have a lot of recent immigrants to the area...very diverse. (But once again we probably pale in comparison in this area if you have lived in NYC and Frisco), but it is a very friendly state...It has a Southern Edge here to it here, so you have people that are usually cordial and polite.

6. It gets pretty hot and humid here in the summer, to be honest. (Probably not as bad as South Carolina, but still way more than New York, or New Jersey I would think>) AC is a must in July and August here.

7. Most of the state is very safe, and kid friendly especially compared to where you have lived.

Bardstown would be great, have only heard nice things about it...it is a very small town, but you are pretty close to Louisville!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Mp6c_5ZyQ

Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
If you found Santa Barbara too lacking in culture, and Charleston too hot, you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere in Kentucky you'll like. And compared to New York or San Francisco? I laugh.

If a good educational system is important (sounds like your kids are school age), I would never pick Kentucky. It'd be like moving to Alaska because you value short winters. You can find some decent school systems here, but even a blind squirrel is going to find an acorn once in a while. They're the distinct exception. You'll find pockets of well-educated people here (Lexington is certainly one), but the adult illiteracy rate in Kentucky is higher than many 3rd world countries. I think that says a lot about the importance of education in Kentucky as a whole.

Poverty is extreme in much of the state, so I'm not sure how many people will be willing to pay out of their pocket for psychological counseling. It has a higher population of disabled than almost any other state in the country, so you'd be at the mercy of whatever the public health care system is willing to pay.

It's a pretty kid friendly state, but that doesn't mean there are a lot of things for kids to do. It's just a safe place to grow up. As far as crime goes, much of the state has a terrible heroin problem, and with that comes a host of property crimes. Not that many crimes of violence by New Jersey standards (except for people in the drug culture), but lots of thefts and burglaries in certain areas (not necessarily state wide, but much of the state.)

As for #1... yeah, it's pretty enough I guess, but I wouldn't call it beautiful. There's beauty here, and there are some beautiful areas, but compared to where I grew up (the upper Midwest) I find it pretty dreary. There are about 2 or 3 weeks each spring where Kentucky is just gorgeously green and soft and cool, and then it's 5 months of August. Most of the photos you see of how pretty Kentucky is are taken in April.

Compared to New Jersey, maybe you'd like it. Compared to Santa Barbara? The Central Coast of California takes my breath away; never had a moment in Kentucky where I felt that way. Some people do think it's quite beautiful, though, so perhaps you'd like it. If Lake Placid is your baseline, Kentucky is a long ways down the scale - the climate and the terrain are very different; the summer heat is crushing, and the landscape just looks beige and baked much of the summer. Through the windows of your car, that is, because you sure aren't going to want to step outside into that heat and humidity. In fact, if you like lakes at all, Kentucky is not for you. I've been here 4 years, and have yet to see an actual, natural lake - I've seen a few reservoirs (as in dammed up rivers or streams), but natural lakes? I think there are only 4 or 6 in the entire state.

I'd visit if you're really curious about it. I would never bring children here, but, some people do and they're happy with their choice. To each their own. I suspect (from your history) that you would not exactly be blown away by Kentucky. But best of luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 10-14-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 05:37 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I think perhaps you're asking quite a bit especially when you will be comparing Kentucky to cities like San Francisco, New York, Santa Barbara. You do realize these all of Mecca's of very left wing liberal ways of living and thinking. Don't expect this anywhere in Kentucky. Kentucky is much more conservative. Even the most progressive biggest Kentucky cities like Louisville and Lexington are quite conservative compared to the cities you are accustomed to living in, which is one thing I love about Kentucky.
Honestly, if I were you with your current needs, I would be looking into moving to maybe Colorado.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
If you found Santa Barbara too lacking in culture, and Charleston too hot, you're going to have a hard time finding anywhere in Kentucky you'll like. And compared to New York or San Francisco? I laugh.

If a good educational system is important (sounds like your kids are school age), I would never pick Kentucky. It'd be like moving to Alaska because you value short winters. You can find some decent school systems here, but even a blind squirrel is going to find an acorn once in a while. They're the distinct exception. You'll find pockets of well-educated people here (Lexington is certainly one), but the adult illiteracy rate in Kentucky is higher than many 3rd world countries. I think that says a lot about the importance of education in Kentucky as a whole.

Poverty is extreme in much of the state, so I'm not sure how many people will be willing to pay out of their pocket for psychological counseling. It has a higher population of disabled than almost any other state in the country, so you'd be at the mercy of whatever the public health care system is willing to pay.

It's a pretty kid friendly state, but that doesn't mean there are a lot of things for kids to do. It's just a safe place to grow up. As far as crime goes, much of the state has a terrible heroin problem, and with that comes a host of property crimes. Not that many crimes of violence by New Jersey standards (except for people in the drug culture), but lots of thefts and burglaries in certain areas (not necessarily state wide, but much of the state.)

As for #1... yeah, it's pretty enough I guess, but I wouldn't call it beautiful. There's beauty here, and there are some beautiful areas, but compared to where I grew up (the upper Midwest) I find it pretty dreary. There are about 2 or 3 weeks each spring where Kentucky is just gorgeously green and soft and cool, and then it's 5 months of August. Most of the photos you see of how pretty Kentucky is are taken in April.

Compared to New Jersey, maybe you'd like it. Compared to Santa Barbara? The Central Coast of California takes my breath away; never had a moment in Kentucky where I felt that way. Some people do think it's quite beautiful, though, so perhaps you'd like it. If Lake Placid is your baseline, Kentucky is a long ways down the scale - the climate and the terrain are very different; the summer heat is crushing, and the landscape just looks beige and baked much of the summer. Through the windows of your car, that is, because you sure aren't going to want to step outside into that heat and humidity. In fact, if you like lakes at all, Kentucky is not for you. I've been here 4 years, and have yet to see an actual, natural lake - I've seen a few reservoirs (as in dammed up rivers or streams), but natural lakes? I think there are only 4 or 6 in the entire state.

I'd visit if you're really curious about it. I would never bring children here, but, some people do and they're happy with their choice. To each their own. I suspect (from your history) that you would not exactly be blown away by Kentucky. But best of luck with whatever you decide.
Albert....just what is you're issue with the Lake/reservoir situation? It seems to be of great concern to you. As an old dumb Hillbilly, is there something I'm missing?

Just an observation....nothing serious.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
[quote=Albert_The_Crocodile;41552826]

"As for #1... yeah, it's pretty enough I guess, but I wouldn't call it beautiful. There's beauty here, and there are some beautiful areas, but compared to where I grew up (the upper Midwest) I find it pretty dreary. There are about 2 or 3 weeks each spring where Kentucky is just gorgeously green and soft and cool, and then it's 5 months of August. Most of the photos you see of how pretty Kentucky is are taken in April. "

Albert: Have you been outside lately?? This is October; the sky is blue and the trees are turning crimson and gold in the Cumberland Mountains and the Kentucky River Palisades, where I spent the afternoon, and our daily highs are in the upper 60s, with nightly lows in the upper 40s. It's gorgeous out there right now, so take a break from your computer screen and take a look at the real Kentucky.

I won't try to counter most of your other claims, most of which are also extremely exaggerated, but the reason Kentucky lacks natural lakes is because the glaciers didn't make it this far south. That's also why we have more diverse natural plant life here, particularly in eastern Kentucky, once the home of the most diverse forest in North America. We do have Reelfoot Lake, formed by the New Madrid earthquake, and we also have rivers, creeks, streams, springs, underground rivers, natural waterfalls, and yes, many lakes formed by damming rivers. In fact, Kentucky has more miles of navigable waterways than any other state.

I'd suggest that you stop comparing Kentucky with other places, and learn to appreciate it for its many unique qualities and gifts.

Ditto Kentuckians.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Since you have Murray on your list, you're in my "neck of the woods". I live in Mayfield, http://www.cityofmayfield.org/ , just 20 miles from Murray. Living in Murray you'll be about 15 miles from the largest man made lake, by acreage, east of the Mississippi River. Between Kentucky Lake Kentucky Lake - ExploreKentuckyLake.com and Lake Barkley LakeBarkley.org is the 170,000 acre Land between the Lakes National Recreation Area Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. That's 170,000 acres of no homes, businesses, industry, nothing but nature. Plenty of hiking and biking trails, camping, fishing, 4 wheeling, etc.

Getting back to Murray Home - Murray-Calloway County Chamber of Commerce, Kentucky , Home - Murray-Calloway County Chamber of Commerce, Kentucky. Murray is the home of Murray State University Murray State University - Murray, Kentucky. U. S. News & World Report has listed Murray State a "top tier university in academic quality" for 25 years. Here's a list of other honors for MSU. National Rankings
Mission & Quick Facts
You'll find plenty of friendly people just about anywhere in western Kentucky. I have friends who just moved to Mayfield from New York state. She went to college at Murray and they wanted to move here after he retired, which was in August. Bought a house here about a year ago and just move in.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM

175 posts, read 261,064 times
You almost describe Utah. Have you considered Utah at all? Where I'm at in Northern Utah it is gorgeous in the mountains. Even the west desert is pretty. You can see for miles. Low humidity. Roses grow super good., We get good afternoon heat that they like.... at least mine do. Highs near 100, Lows near 0. Only 1 bad tornado. No big hail. Weather is really mild. All summer it's dark blue skies. Just beautiful.

Our schools here are awesome. IMO. Our kids are successful and happy. Drugs are here but not a big problem as with bigger cities. My niece is a 5th grade teacher and has 31 kids in her class.

We do not go to church and we are not treated differently. There was a few ignorant kids in school that wanted to pick on non-mormons but hold your own. They are just jealous cause we have Sundays free!!
Utah is getting very diverse. Hill Air Force Base brings alot of military families to the area. Salt Lake is getting into a lot of cultural gatherings as well.

Winter is pretty bad as far as air quality in the valley. But if you live on the other side of the Wasatch front you have really nice winters. Look at Morgan, Mountain Green, Wanship, Liberty, Huntsville, and maybe Park City but its $$$$.

Ours roads are nice here so commutes are not that bad. The drivers are bad tho! LOL I know people that live in Evanston WY and work at the Air Force Base.

Utah generally is conservative, but Salt Lake, Park City and Logan are quite Liberal.
We will be moving to Kentucky next summer because we wanted more land, less people, more trees, more water, and the people are super friendly. We visited several times and fell in love. But we are retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky