U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 16,849 times
Default Refineries in Ashland

Hello all. My first time posting on this forum as I've lived all my life in Houston, TX.

My wife and I are considering a move to the Tri-State area and we just got back from a short vist to Huntington. While I was there I took a drive down through Ashland and I liked what I saw. It looked like a smaller, cleaner version of Huntington, and overall seemed like a nice little community. We are looking for a big change in our life and Ashland just seemed right up my alley...low key.

I also noticed there were a few chemical refineries in the area, which is my area of interest. Living in Houston, I've worked all my life as an operator in the chemical plants since they are abundant here...to say the least. I'm curious if anyone could tell me what refineries are in the Ashland area and how tough is it to get a foot in the door there...especially being a transplant to the area.

I drove right by the Marathon tank farm in Kenova, WV...but I thought I saw several large plants on the KY side of the Big Sandy River as our plane took off from the airport.

Any thoughts, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM

5,510 posts, read 12,432,089 times
I don't know about the refinery business... I know that one on the Kentucky side of the Big Sandy River is among the largest in the US. Either Greenup or Boyd Counties are nice place in that are

Interesting fact: due to the refinery and also that fact that huge amounts of coal are loaded onto the Ohio River there, Huntington/ Ashland is the largest inland port in the world

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM

108 posts, read 297,389 times
The large plants you saw on the Kentucky side of the river are part of the Marathon refinery. It is one of the largest employers in the area. There is also a Dow plant across the river in Ohio, along with a Sunoco facility. I don't know as much about them, but they are in the Franklin Funace/Haverhill Ohio area, a few miles down river from Ashland.

There are some other smaller industries in the area, but those are the largest employers that would seem to fit your experience.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 AM

3,381 posts, read 5,277,469 times
Default Ashland

I'm not familiar with the Ashland area; it's one of the few areas of Kentucky I don't know much about. I know the Marathon Refinery sits at the intersection of I-64 and US 23 near the Ohio River. That's the only refinery I know of in the area. Somebody said there was also a Sunoco refinery in southeast Ohio and if that's the case, then I've learned something new today.

Ashland seems like an okay enough town, but just okay. It is, of course, close to Huntington. Charleston, WV is only an hour away, but it too is a dirty and economically impoverished city like Huntington. Lexington, KY is just less than two hours away, and Columbus, OH is just over two hours away. So, Ashland's not in a bad location. Some nice "suburbs," which I use loosely since Ashland is a pretty small area, might include Cannonsburg, Catlettsburg, Wurtland, Russell, and Greenup. I suggest these since Boyd and Greenup Counties appear to be stagnant in population but Ashland proper has been losing population since the 1970s (fact!)

Culturally and socially, eastern Kentucky is not, has never been, and will probably never be my cup of tea. (I live in central, not eastern, Kentucky, by the way.) But, I know you're looking for a change in environment (and I assume pace,) so this might be "right down your alley."

To close, I'm STRONGLY considering a move to Houston, Texas later this year.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM

108 posts, read 297,389 times
The Sunoco facility produces various chemicals, but I don't believe it's an oil refinery. It would still probably fit your experience, though.

Ashland is a decent enough town, but of course it all depends on what you're looking for. The town's population decreased when the AK Steel mill downsized in the mid-90s. The steel mill used to be the town's largest employer, but now things are in transition. King's Daughters Medical Center has greatly expanded over the last few years and is now the largest employer in Ashland. The area's economy will always rely heavily on industry, but Ashland is also becoming a sort of health care center for the region.

Ashland's downtown has also changed quite a bit over the last few years. There are still a number of empty buildings, but several art galleries and other businesses are starting to move in to some of these spaces. There are also plans to turn the old train station into some sort of market place that will have a farmer's market and some other stores specializing in locally made products. Hopefully some of these projects will take off. I have also heard that there may be plans to develop the riverfront, which could also help the town.

Ashland is like any other place. It has its good points and its bad points. I personally prefer living outside the city limits in the county, because I like to have a little more space. Fortunately, the cost of living is low here so you can get a house with a good sized lot for a relatively low price if that's what you're looking for.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 AM

7 posts, read 16,655 times
The oppinions provided by jcm1986 cannot be taken seriously since the first sentence stated was that this person was not familiar with Ashland, KY. He states that he lives in Central Ky (Lexington) and that he prefers it to eastern ky. Well, Ashland is a part of the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton Metropolitan Statitistical Area which has a Population of 280,000. It is more spread out than Lexington but as far as a communities size it is the same. We have plenty of things to do in this area and have great high paying jobs in the steel and petroleum industry too. Everybody who wants a good job has one. The crime is low and the property values are affordable. Its a beautiful, safe, place to live. We have 3 malls in a twenty mile radius for shopping. We have Cultural Centers and art galleries and all that stuff. Four colleges have campuses here. It's great and the wooded hills are breathtaking in the autumn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky