U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM

15 posts, read 17,737 times

Advertisements

My husband is a semi-finalist for a job in the Florence area and I am investigating the greater community to see if we want to move there. We have lived in larger metropolitan areas (Chicago, New Orleans, Dallas) and find that we enjoy a small town that borders a large city. We are looking for an 'alive', vibrant, open community or neighborhood with which to get involved and enjoy cuisine, culture, and the arts (I am a full-time artist). Kentucky seems to be a beautiful state and I'd prefer four seasons, rather than humid-hot and humid-hotter as we have in the deep south. I do like to garden and miss being in an area where there are a variety of opportunities for that (soil, temperature, water). We are in our early 50s, have no children with us and don't have to worry about schools and are looking for $250k-$400k home... but in a neighborhood that isn't a cookie-cutter box house neighborhood. We love diversity of architecture (we currently live in a 1907 home in a historical district, but are kind of wanting a break from a home this old)

More importantly, we want to "live where we play" nearby local theater, movies, variety of good cuisine, festivals, visual arts, farmers markets, music (not necessarily bars), and we'd like to be nearby water... but after the flooding of hurricane Katrina... NO FLOOD ZONES! ha! Your thoughts about areas in a 15 mile radius from Florence?

Last edited by Caneroa; 05-08-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 AM

10,823 posts, read 22,192,809 times
Fort Thomas or the area around Devou Park would match that criteria. Nice older house stock in quiet areas but very close to what's going on in the urban core of Cincinnati

Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. He just found out he's one of 2 or 3 finalists, so now our investigation of the area begins in earnest. What do you think of Florence? Any chance it has some of what we are looking for? Or would moving farther away from work, and closer to Cincinnati be more to our liking?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:18 AM

10,823 posts, read 22,192,809 times
I actually spent the first 4 years of my life in Florence. There's a huge mall / shopping area just to the west which makes traffic bad. There is some older housing stock with character but more new subdivisions and apartments. Violent crime isn't a problem and overall crime is low. A lot of me suggesting other areas is due to Florence having less good older housing.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM

We certainly don't mind new... we would prefer "interesting". My husband really loves very contemporary archetecture. I was looking online at the area around Oakbrook, Edgewood and Erlanger first. It could be best for us to rent for 6 months and explore... then move again, but I sure hate the idea of moving twice, especially since we just moved last year!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 PM

587 posts, read 432,038 times
My wife and I moved to Florence, KY last summer from Northeast Ohio for a job relocation. We chose Florence because we really liked all the suburban conveniences such as a large shopping mall, and a nice assortment of chain stores and restaurants.

What I also like about the Florence area is that ten minutes south and it becomes very rural, which is refreshing if you want to get away from the traffic in Florence. A lot of nice county parks in the area such as the Boone County Arboretum, Boone Cliffs and Big Bone Lick State Park. A lot of great outdoor activitirs to partake in NKY.

One thing i have noticed since living here is that Florence, and surrounding areas such as Union and Burlington, is that there are a lot of new home subdivisions, very cookie cutter like. You would have to ask people who are from the area where the older housing stock is.

We are very happy with our move to Florence. We are younger though and may have a different perspective than others. Kentucky has some of the friendliest people we have ever met so you will have a lot of help and suggestions i am sure. I wish you all luck.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 PM

7,362 posts, read 5,227,045 times
Amazing timing. We just got home from Cincinnati a few minutes ago, and half the drive home was spent talking about why we don't live around Florence. To us, it's the best of both worlds - you're in (or right on the edge of) rural Kentucky, but for all practical purposes you're also in Cincinnati, which is by far the best city in the region. Thing is, though, you really don't feel like you're in Cincinnati. You feel like you're in a small town, but you're also aware that you're only minutes away from Cincinnati, and can see anything you want there on a moment's impulse.

Quote:
We are looking for an 'alive', vibrant, open community or neighborhood with which to get involved and enjoy cuisine, culture, and the arts (I am a full-time artist)...

More importantly, we want to "live where we play" nearby local theater, movies, variety of good cuisine, festivals, visual arts, farmers markets, music (not necessarily bars)...
Depending on how you define "community", you're probably going to have a hard time finding that on anything larger than a neighborhood scale anywhere in Kentucky. Louisville has a few neighborhoods like that, and probably Lexington too, but you won't find any whole towns that fit that bill. I'm not sure where you're moving from, so I don't know what your frame of reference is, but those sentences don't describe many places in Kentucky.

But, Cincinnati is a wonderful city, and you can find everything you're looking for there. If you're willing to settle for a really nice neighborhood (or even small town) within convenient driving distance to the rest of the stuff you want, then Florence would be very hard to beat.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 AM

6,850 posts, read 14,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Amazing timing. We just got home from Cincinnati a few minutes ago, and half the drive home was spent talking about why we don't live around Florence. To us, it's the best of both worlds - you're in (or right on the edge of) rural Kentucky, but for all practical purposes you're also in Cincinnati, which is by far the best city in the region. Thing is, though, you really don't feel like you're in Cincinnati. You feel like you're in a small town, but you're also aware that you're only minutes away from Cincinnati, and can see anything you want there on a moment's impulse.

Depending on how you define "community", you're probably going to have a hard time finding that on anything larger than a neighborhood scale anywhere in Kentucky. Louisville has a few neighborhoods like that, and probably Lexington too, but you won't find any whole towns that fit that bill. I'm not sure where you're moving from, so I don't know what your frame of reference is, but those sentences don't describe many places in Kentucky.

But, Cincinnati is a wonderful city, and you can find everything you're looking for there. If you're willing to settle for a really nice neighborhood (or even small town) within convenient driving distance to the rest of the stuff you want, then Florence would be very hard to beat.
Cincinnati is a great town. Not sure it offers anymore than Louisville though. It's just a bit different. To each his own though. I much prefer Louisville to Cincy.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:49 PM

Well, it looks like we will be making that move. My husband accepted the position and it was announced today. He will be moving there toward the end of July and will be in temporary housing until we can purchase a house somewhere in the Florence area. Our house here in Dallas will sell quickly, so we need to have somewhere to settle before I even put this one on the market.

I would love to live on a lake, or near water... but I'm thinking not the Ohio River, as I'm not thrilled with the idea of maneuvering the flooding issue... any suggestions? We have no kids to think of schooling and we'll be looking for something under $350K.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:14 PM

7,362 posts, read 5,227,045 times
There isn't much water in Kentucky, and literally only a handful of lakes. In 5 years of living here, I have yet to see an actual, natural lake.

If you want to live close to water, your best bet is probably a reservoir. They have a few dozen reservoirs scattered around the state, but frankly I wouldn't want to live too close to one. Every one that I've seen smells like... well... a reservoir. The rivers down here tend to be pretty dirty, and damming them up doesn't exactly make them any cleaner or any better-smelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or