U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2008, 04:32 PM

5,291 posts, read 7,246,689 times
-Hopkinsville's own Scotty Hopson, the only 5 star basketball recruit this year from Kentucky, cancelled his recruiting visit with the homestate University of Kentucky and committed to UT. He has probably seen his fellow Kentuckians flock south of the border his whole life and thought he would join them.[/quote]

Scotty sounds pretty smart. If you want to play ball in college you don't pick a school just because that's the state you live in, you should check everything out. Check out the team, the rest of the athletics, the campus, etc. Pretty poor idea just to pick UK because you live in Kentucky!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:28 PM

79 posts, read 175,636 times
Scotty sounds pretty smart. If you want to play ball in college you don't pick a school just because that's the state you live in, you should check everything out. Check out the team, the rest of the athletics, the campus, etc. Pretty poor idea just to pick UK because you live in Kentucky!>>

You must not be a UK fan, UK's only sport is basketball, and now that Ut is catching them at their only sport, the UK fans are very defensive and feel no one should choose UK over UT. You are right that Hopson looked at all of the criteria in selecting a school, not just a state- campus, athletics, etc., but that is another issue which suggests UT's facilities and support, even in UK's sport of basketball, are superior.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,588 times
Currently, I live in Hopkinsville and really dislike this town. It may even be the worst town I've ever been to.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 PM

5,291 posts, read 7,246,689 times
Couldn't have said it better myself, memphis! lol

Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 21,871 times
I've lived in Hoptown and Oak Grove-both are forgettable. A lot of the ugliness of the Clarksville/Hopkinsville/Oak Grove area has to do with, and I hate to say this, the military. Military installations bring their own set of problems. I'm currently stationed at Fort Campbell (in Iraq at the moment) and I can't wait to leave. Too many outsiders come into these towns, stay for a little while and then split. While I love TENN, I hate Clarksville. The only advantage to living in Hoptown/Christian Co. is smaller size. My commute to Ft. Campbell is about 20 mins. and on good days I can reach Nashville in a little over an hour.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM

8 posts, read 21,871 times
I've met some nice people in Hopkinsville, but in general, the further south you go (ie. Tennessee)the friendlier the people. Sad but true...don't know what it is.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,122 times
Default You gotta do what you gotta do!!!!

And you don't gotta move to Christian County, KY.. 10 years ago I lived in a dead area of southern Ohio. I ended up here and got a very good job, there are many factories here that pay well. I moved immeadiately. At the time had 3 small children that would attend public school. Assuming with the huge tax base here the schools would have to be good. Never assume anything. It took me 2 years to figure out that 80% of the people I work with don't live in Christian County. They just come to work here. And pay the tax the city charges them to work here as well. I don't like Clarksville because it is too big and appears crowded. The sales taxes are higher so I hate to shop there. There aren't plenty of choices for shopping in Hopkinsville though. When I am going shopping, Christmas or school clothes, I go to Evansville, IN (1 hour north) or Paducah(1 hour north/west). It's worth it to me, I hate paying the sales taxes in TN. Is really nice when they have the tax free weekends though.
Honestly I'm not the least bit racist or anything but there is a lot of black people in Hopkinsville with issues. I do work with some and my son had some friends (before he went to Jessamine county to go to school at his dads) that were very nice people. I don't know if it's gangs or what but some of them are just bad(some white people are just like them)I see it mainly in the schools, elementary up to high school.
If you don't have kids you can live in nice areas of Christian County. You can even work here and make a good living(not at the moment, I think ever place is laying off). I just wish I had not bought a home here and had to raise my children here.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,115,989 times
I don't know much about Hopkinsville, but the Pyle Lane area is a really nice part of town.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,137,117 times
Hopkinsville is NASTY, crime ridden, dirty and you couldn't pay me to raise my kiddos there. EWWW!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 AM

1,833 posts, read 4,328,104 times
I left Hopkinsville because of the very poor schools (parents that didn't care, which punishes the kids that want to learn) , high crime and the prevailing entitlement mentality. Hopkinsville home of the handout is what we called it. As posted by others earlier there is a lot of racism in Hopkinsville, but it mostly comes from the minority community which is actually the majority in Hopkinsville.

I lived there 13 years, I have a lot of friends there, but I'm not sorry I left. There are nice parts of Hopkinsville, however the positive to not outweigh the negatives. Try to buy decent food at the first of the month, all the good stuff been snatched up by the food stamp people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky