U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM

180 posts, read 315,215 times

Advertisements

LOL....ok...OR hispanics....stiiiillll not answering my Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

4,898 posts, read 5,626,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
LOL....ok...OR hispanics....stiiiillll not answering my Q
OMG. Do you even know what NON-Hispanic whites mean? I will quote it one more time just for you.

Non-Hispanic White means white people that are NOT of Hispanic origin (ie, "normal" European American whites that make up the majority of almost all US states)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Kentucky
all whites 89.9%
non-hispanic whites 87.8%

Tennessee
all whites 80.4%
non-hispanic whites 77.1%

Just for fun, let's see how this compares with GA, NC, and SC whites.

Georgia
all whites 65.4%
non-hispanic whites 58.1%

North Carolina
all whites 73.9%
non-hispanic whites 67.2%

South Carolina
all whites 68.7%
non-hispanic whites 65.2%

Now, let's take a look at Midwestern states like Indiana and Missouri shall we.

Indiana
all whites 88.0%
non-hispanic whites 83.2%

Missouri
all whites 85.0%
non-hispanic whites 82.1%

Let's look at Kentucky one more time folks.

Kentucky
all whites 89.9%
non-hispanic whites 87.8%

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM

54 posts, read 93,451 times
Quote:
OMG. Do you even know what NON-Hispanic whites mean? I will quote it one more time just for you.

Non-Hispanic White means white people that are NOT of Hispanic origin (ie, "normal" European American whites that make up the majority of almost all US states)

No. You STILL did not answer the question. Are you avoiding the question(s) or is your reading comprehension that bad?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 3,492,133 times
Quote:
Bless your little heart!!! You have NO CLUE why out of state folks are calling KY "southern" do you. Trust me, it is not in "support" of anything. There is a stigma attached to being "southern". You figure out why most Americans feel KY is "southern" LOL.

lol...I think this myopic nugget of drivel ^^^ pretty much summarizes his entire stance...

Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM

Actually, non hispanic whites only means those whites who dont speak "SPAN-ish" as their first language. Whites who do speak spanish as their first language are considered Hispanic. Spain is in Europe and they speak a castilian variety of spanish...which only has a thin relationship with the spanish heard in the U.S.

But whatever...I thought all whites were the same anyway, according to this guy...lol contradictions everywhere...lol

Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
lol contradictions everywhere...lol
Ain't that the truth!!! Especially the contradiction of Kentucky's demographics compared to the real south's. BIG TIME contradiction there if you ask me.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!!! Especially the contradiction of Kentucky's demographics compared to the real south's. BIG TIME contradiction there if you ask me.

lol thats not a contradiction, thats called a statistic...keep up, my man...but its still not as crazy as the contradictions in all of your posts...lmao...now those are contradictions!

you still dont know what to say about your own contradiction that if the south supposedly has all of this black culture everywhere, then why would eastern tennessee and western NC be considered southern when they have small rural black populations as well...

oh my lions, tigers, bears, this charlotte guy has contradictions everywhere...lol

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM

180 posts, read 315,215 times
Oh urban , I'm sorry but your really starting to bore me and I have more "exciting" things to do ..like pay bills....and more "worthy" things to do...like scrape gum off the bottom of my shoe . BUT , just for the heck of it I'll repeat my Q .

IF ALLLL THE BLACK PEOPLE IN GA, AL, TN, MOVED TO MONTANA......WOULD THAT MAKE THOSE STATES NOT SOUTHERN ?????

Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
Oh urban , I'm sorry but your really starting to bore me and I have more "exciting" things to do ..like pay bills....and more "worthy" things to do...like scrape gum off the bottom of my shoe . BUT , just for the heck of it I'll repeat my Q .

IF ALLLL THE BLACK PEOPLE IN GA, AL, TN, MOVED TO MONTANA......WOULD THAT MAKE THOSE STATES NOT SOUTHERN ?????
My last post had NOTHING to do with blacks. It was about non-hispanic whites. KY has a MUCH higher percentage of this demographic than the real south. Period.

As for your weird question; it is a question that can not be answered. What makes the south "southern" is the demographic patterns the south share as well as the geographic location of most southern states. With this said, all southern states have a similar demographic/geographic pattern. Kentucky and West Virginia does not have these same patterns. As a result, threads like this one (Is Kentucky the south or the midwest? ) become long on going novels. If KY's southerness was not suspect, this thread would have died on the first page.

In all honesty, the area that I live in would be considered "less southern" than many areas of KY by the average American. Also, the average American would consider much of KY to be "more southern" than many areas of GA, TN, VA and Florida. This has to do with the stigma that is attached to being "southern". The truth is many "southern states" (like the one I live in) is NOTHING like the stigma that comes with being "southern". This dated stigma of "southerness" is the reason why most Americans would call Kentucky "southern" without even stepping foot into the state. I think most of you know what I am talking about.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-27-2009 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM

5,905 posts, read 13,122,380 times
I agree with Urban that if you're looking at just the racial demographics (in terms of percent Black) then Kentucky is not Southern. I also don't think you can say that only one criteria makes a places one thing or another.

From a White perspective Kentucky is very Southern because an overwhelming percent of the White population here is of British Isles origin. In the rest of the US most Whites have German or non British Isles ancestry and their ancestors came over much latter (post Civil War). By comparison on my family tree (one typical of most White Southerners) most people where in the US by 1700 and most were even in the counties of my parents' origin (Harlan or Russell/ Casey) before the Civil War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky