Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 01:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I agree with you that NKY doesnt fit well with the rest of KY but it certainly doesnt fit with the rest of Ohio outside Cincinnati.

I completely disagree that Cinci and Cbus are at all similar. Two entirely different cities. Columbus is the quintessential Midwestern city but Cinci, although Midwestern, has some major Appalachian and slight Southern influences.

You cant argue the whole german ancestry because majority of the Midwest was settled by Germans, but that doesnt mean they all feel the same or are similar. A native of Cincinnati would NOT feel at home in Shaker Heights, Lakewood or Ashtabula for example, or other Midwestern cities such as Omaha, Minneapolis, or Erie, PA.

Growing up in NE Ohio, people would quite frequently talk about how Cincinnati was not "Ohio". We had some pretty negative stereotypes and words for SW Ohio, which by the way I dont agree with. Heck, there are even way less OSU fans in Cinci compared to Cbus and Cleveland. I see just as much UK stuff when driving through Cinci as i do OSU Buckeyes.

I guess NKY is kind of its own region. I dont think its Midwestern and its not really southern. The region has elements from both states and it all blends together to create a unique area. But to say that NKY is Midwestern seems a bit off. It doesnt really feel like the Midwest, at least to me.
The rest of Ohio looks at NE Ohio as the Black sheep and weird little corner that doesn't really belong in the state. Historically it has its own feel anyway considering the New England connection. It is more fair to say NE Ohio is more NORTHEAST than to say SW Ohio is Appalachian or Southern.

Erie PA is also a Midwest city? Hmmmm... So is Pittsburgh the Midwest? If you believe so then Cincinnati and NKY are Midwestern.

Why is Cleveland a better definition of Midwest than Cincinnati? Cleveland if anything is the outlier. You say speech, history, culture, and those are what make Cleveland different than the rest of Ohio. It has its own isolated speech patterns not heard elsewhere in Ohio, ethnics like Poles/Jews/Italians/ Puerto Ricans and even the weather is starkly different from that of other major cities. Cleveland gets like 50-60 inches of snow per year, Columbus gets under 30, and Cincinnati goes from 12-20 inches. One of these things is not like the other ones my friend.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 09-13-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The rest of Ohio looks at NE Ohio as the Black sheep and weird little corner that doesn't really belong in the state. Historically it has its own feel anyway considering the New England connection. It is more fair to say NE Ohio is more NORTHEAST than to say SW Ohio is Appalachian or Southern.

Erie PA is also a Midwest city? Hmmmm... So is Pittsburgh the Midwest? If you believe so then Cincinnati and NKY are Midwestern.

Why is Cleveland a better definition of Midwest than Cincinnati? Cleveland if anything is the outlier. You say speech, history, culture, and those are what make Cleveland different than the rest of Ohio. It has its own isolated speech patterns not heard elsewhere in Ohio, ethnics like Poles/Jews/Italians/ Puerto Ricans and even the weather is starkly different from that of other major cities. Cleveland gets like 50-60 inches of snow per year, Columbus gets under 30, and Cincinnati goes from 12-20 inches. One of these things is not like the other ones my friend.
Within the city limits of Cleveland, yes it resembles the Northeast more as it has a large ethnic population, especially Italians, Slovenians, and Poles and of course the connection to the Western Reserve of Connetticut. But just outside Cuyahoga County and it becimes vast rolling farmland where Midwestern traditions permeate throughout the people. Its 90% Midwestern. Someone from Geauga County Ohio would feel very comfortable as someone from lower peninsula of Michigan.

And yes, Erie, PA is Midwestern. No, Pittsburgh is not Midwestern (in my opinion). Erie is a small port city that resembles other rust belt areas of the Great Lakes. I have spent many summers living with family in Erie and it was no different than Cleveland, other than size. People were the same, speech was the same, very similar across the board.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
KY is considered to be a part of the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Geez, can't people give this subject a rest?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Good Idea....the next thing ye know, they'll be arguing which city is the gayest.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Kentucky is southern, Ohio is northern.

I just solved like 300 threads on this site in a sentence.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Within the city limits of Cleveland, yes it resembles the Northeast more as it has a large ethnic population, especially Italians, Slovenians, and Poles and of course the connection to the Western Reserve of Connetticut. But just outside Cuyahoga County and it becimes vast rolling farmland where Midwestern traditions permeate throughout the people. Its 90% Midwestern. Someone from Geauga County Ohio would feel very comfortable as someone from lower peninsula of Michigan.
The lower Peninsula of Michigan is nothing like Kentucky. Different climate, topography, plants, and of course, people.

Quote:
And yes, Erie, PA is Midwestern. No, Pittsburgh is not Midwestern (in my opinion). Erie is a small port city that resembles other rust belt areas of the Great Lakes. I have spent many summers living with family in Erie and it was no different than Cleveland, other than size. People were the same, speech was the same, very similar across the board.
Wait wait wait. This has to be THE biggest case of selective reasoning I have ever seen on this forum. So because Erie resembles Cleveland, it is Midwestern? Ok, let's go with that.

But...

Have you ever BEEN to Pittsburgh? Are we just going to ignore that it largely resembles Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky? Like sometimes almost a carbon copy? You seriously are going to ignore the fact that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are damn near identical? One just happens to be more German and conservative whereas the other one is more Polish and liberal. Heck, at least Pittsburgh and Cincy both have Midland accents. That can't be said for Cleveland. Btw doesn't Erie speak in regular Western Pennsylvania English like that heard in Youngstown? I have never seen Erie included in Great Lakes English speaking cities.

Kind of interesting how resemblance to Cleveland is the magical Midwestern standard for Erie but let's just pretend that Pittsburgh doesn't look like Cincinnati. Nope. No similarities there.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:25 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The lower Peninsula of Michigan is nothing like Kentucky. Different climate, topography, plants, and of course, people.

Wait wait wait. This has to be THE biggest case of selective reasoning I have ever seen on this forum. So because Erie resembles Cleveland, it is Midwestern? Ok, let's go with that.

But...

Have you ever BEEN to Pittsburgh? Are we just going to ignore that it largely resembles Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky? Like sometimes almost a carbon copy? You seriously are going to ignore the fact that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are damn near identical? One just happens to be more German and conservative whereas the other one is more Polish and liberal. Heck, at least Pittsburgh and Cincy both have Midland accents. That can't be said for Cleveland. Btw doesn't Erie speak in regular Western Pennsylvania English like that heard in Youngstown? I have never seen Erie included in Great Lakes English speaking cities.

Kind of interesting how resemblance to Cleveland is the magical Midwestern standard for Erie but let's just pretend that Pittsburgh doesn't look like Cincinnati. Nope. No similarities there.
Last time I checked, this was a FORUM, where people can express their opinions and each person will have a different opinion on how a city or region "feels" to them. Yes, I have been to Pittsburgh many times, and no it is not similar to Cincinnati, besides the fact that it is a river city. Pittsburgh feels much more industrial with it's past steel industry. The two cities don't share the same dialect either. Also, if you consider Cinci and Pittsburgh to be so similar then it only furthers my point in that Erie, and to some extent, Western PA, is more midwestern than anything else.

I am not sure where you thought I was comparing Michigan to Kentucky as that was never posted by me.

And Cleveland is a very Midwestern city, not sure how Cleveland can be anything other than Midwest, it doesn't even border another region. Cincinnati does border another region, its called the South.
The original topic was is Kentucky the South or Midwest and I have said from the beginning that Kentucky is the South, not sure how we got off on a tangent of what Cincinnati is other than it's relation to NKY, which is also Southern with Midwest influences being so close to Cincinnati.

This will be my last post on the topic. Cleveland is Midwestern, Cincinnati is Midwestern with SOUTHERN influences, Northern Kentucky is SOUTHERN with MIDWESTERN influences. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice the differences between these cities and regions.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Last time I checked, this was a FORUM, where people can express their opinions and each person will have a different opinion on how a city or region "feels" to them. Yes, I have been to Pittsburgh many times, and no it is not similar to Cincinnati, besides the fact that it is a river city. Pittsburgh feels much more industrial with it's past steel industry. The two cities don't share the same dialect either. Also, if you consider Cinci and Pittsburgh to be so similar then it only furthers my point in that Erie, and to some extent, Western PA, is more midwestern than anything else.

I am not sure where you thought I was comparing Michigan to Kentucky as that was never posted by me.

And Cleveland is a very Midwestern city, not sure how Cleveland can be anything other than Midwest, it doesn't even border another region. Cincinnati does border another region, its called the South.
The original topic was is Kentucky the South or Midwest and I have said from the beginning that Kentucky is the South, not sure how we got off on a tangent of what Cincinnati is other than it's relation to NKY, which is also Southern with Midwest influences being so close to Cincinnati.

This will be my last post on the topic. Cleveland is Midwestern, Cincinnati is Midwestern with SOUTHERN influences, Northern Kentucky is SOUTHERN with MIDWESTERN influences. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice the differences between these cities and regions.
Taking this a bit personal? I do not know how you fail to see the glaring similarities between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati but you want them to be there for Erie and Cleveland.

Let's see, the architecture is the same for Pgh and Cincy. The topography is the same. The cloudiness is the same. They're both Rust Belt cities. What makes Pgh so different than Cincy other than politics and ethnic groups? I agree Pgh has traditional Northeast ethnic groups but so does Cleveland.

And no, my friend, if you want to talk about dialects, then you should be aware that Erie and Pittsburgh share a dialect; Cleveland and Erie do not. At the very least Cincy and Pgh are part of the same dialect family (Midland), whereas Cleveland is Great Lakes.

Erie doesn't border the Midwest. Cleveland doesn't border the Northeast. Pittsburgh doesn't border the Midwest. Only Cincinnati borders another region. However, it is accepted historically that Northern Kentucky has always been the odd man out in Kentucky. The allegiance has always been different (pro Union), the ethnic groups (German heavy), linguistics (Midland accents as opposed to Southern), and of course identity (just read the thread about Northern Kentucky)

Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The border between the Midwest and Northeast is very blurry. Is Buffalo that different than Cleveland? Is Toledo that different from Rochester? That's what makes Midwest vs South so interesting, there is tremendous change over a short distance. Columbus IN and Seymour IN are in bordering counties but are different enough to be in bordering states, same goes for Ludlow KY and Owenton KY.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Kentucky feels more like a Lower Midwestern state like Indiana and Ohio than it feels like a Deep South state such as Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas. Bowling Green and Muncie are much more similar than Bowling Green and Lake Charles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky