U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM

8,257 posts, read 11,318,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, if I have anything to do with it. Fellas like me are making this state more midwestern every day.

Note that the so-called "Scotch-Irish" have a great deal of German in them, going back to the 1700s. English too.
Appalachia- tobacco-bourbon whiskey-fried chicken. sounds southern to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 23,111 times
Default Not Midwest

Kentucky has never and never will be in the Midwest. The WHOLE state of Kentucky is southern (that means you N. Kentucky), not just a portion of it. (Also the whole state of West Virginia is southern)

The weather has nothing to do with being southern because if the temperature in Georgia became the same as Ohio's this would not make Georgia a northern state (culturally or geographically)

Just because the northern half of the state may have cultural Midwest INFLUENCES, does not mean that Kentucky becomes a Midwestern state. You can go to other threads and the same question will be asked if Cincinnati or Southern Ohio is really southern. OF COURSE NOT! Cincinnati is a Midwest city that borders (guess what) the South.

I think it is a bad argument to make that if you look at a map, Kentucky is not in the South. Well if you look at a map, Indiana is east, but ask a New Yorker if Indiana is an Eastern state and the answer would be an emphatic ...HECK NO.

Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina ... Ky in this group makes sense

Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesotta, Kentucky ... KY in this group does not make sense

And just because Kentucky did not want to break away from the Union (although there were plenty of southern sympathizers) only means that a southern state did not want to break from the Union.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,007,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hmmm, I really don't think I've seen a Mimosa tree around here. Guess it's a Western KY thing?
Nope, there are plenty of mimosa trees in Lexington. I had one in my back yard. They're lovely trees.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Are we South or Midwest?

It doesn't matter, really; we're soundly rejected by both.

Been to Georgia, Alabama, or Louisiana? They call us a "yankee" state.

Been to Illinois, Michigan, or Pennsylvania? We're the "Heart of Dixie" and all the stereotypical jokes and associations that come with it.

Very true. And in Missouri, they ask, "is Kentucky a state, or a sort of a region? ... And where is it, anyway? ... I can tell you're from the south by the way you talk..."

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The difference btw the Midwest, South, Northeast, and West is ETHNICITY. Until you understand that you will never understand the differences between those regions.

Midwest- heavily German with Scandinavians in Northernmost areas
South- most people are descended from the British Isles
Northeast- heavily Itallian, with large numbers of Irish in many area
West- a mixture of Itallian, German, British Isles, Hispanics, and Asians

Louisville and the 3 counties across from Cincinnati are heavily German. The rest of Kentucky is mostly of British Isles descent
Great post, great points. All very true.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 AM

6,753 posts, read 14,884,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Nope, there are plenty of mimosa trees in Lexington. I had one in my back yard. They're lovely trees.
There are mimosa trees all over the place here. As a matter of fact they are considered "weedy" here.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Very true. And in Missouri, they ask, "is Kentucky a state, or a sort of a region? ... And where is it, anyway? ... I can tell you're from the south by the way you talk..."
My sister went to College of the Ozarks in Mo and was teased(in fun only, not meanness) because of the way she talks and being from Kentucky.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Where is your map that shows where are the Germans are? My part of town isn't heavily German if I remember right.
Census? Do you have your map honey? Also, didn't the Germans come much later than the other settlers here? My family arrived in this state in the late 1700's (I don't remember exactly when) but the Germans came in the mid 1800's?

"The large majority of these German immigrants arrived in the U. S. between 1848 and 1860, and came mainly from the western and southwestern areas of Germany."

This is also interesting: Kentucky, being a Slave State, attracted fewer Germans than if it had been a Free State, and its German-born population approximately 27,000 persons in 1860. One of the main reasons for German settlement in Kentucky was the development of manufacturing interests along its Ohio River border, principally in Louisville, Covington and Newport, and to certain settlements of agriculturalist Germans in counties along the northern border of the state. The relatively small number of slaves in counties along Kentucky’s northern border was another reason Germans moved into this part of the Bluegrass State. While slaves accounted for about 20 percent of Kentucky’s total population of 1,150,000 in 1860, they aggregated less than 8 percent of Louisville’s population and less than 2 percent of Covington’s and Newport’s. It is noteworthy that approximately 50 percent of Kentucky’s native-Germans lived in Louisville, and the cities of Covington and Newport (combined) contained almost 20 percent of the Bluegrass State’s German population.

I don't see how people coming in that late would effect an entire culture.

Last edited by missymomof3; 06-12-2008 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 AM

8,761 posts, read 5,233,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The difference btw the Midwest, South, Northeast, and West is ETHNICITY. Until you understand that you will never understand the differences between those regions.

Midwest- heavily German with Scandinavians in Northernmost areas
South- most people are descended from the British Isles
Northeast- heavily Itallian, with large numbers of Irish in many area
West- a mixture of Itallian, German, British Isles, Hispanics, and Asians

Louisville and the 3 counties across from Cincinnati are heavily German. The rest of Kentucky is mostly of British Isles descent

I don't think this is accurate. South Central Kentucky has a lot of Scotch/Irish descendents.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,847,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't think this is accurate. South Central Kentucky has a lot of Scotch/Irish descendents.
?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky