Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM

104 posts, read 173,529 times

Advertisements

What is closest can you get to Butcher Hollow, KY. and still stay easily connected
I'm guessing I'm looking at Winchester, KY?
As far as:
1.) having access to High-Speed internet (i.e. how far into the boon-docks does HSI reach?)
2.) and with at least a few Broadcast TV Towers in the area?

Am I correct here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,016,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofTopPigeon View Post
What is closest can you get to Butcher Hollow, KY. and still stay easily connected
I'm guessing I'm looking at Winchester, KY?
As far as:
1.) having access to High-Speed internet (i.e. how far into the boon-docks does HSI reach?)

Am I correct here?

I have no idea because I am in Louisville. But I have some questions here. Is Butcher Hollow in Eastern, KY~~~~? Is it safe driving there as in are the roads safe~?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:12 PM

104 posts, read 173,529 times
Veggienut; this oughtta give you some ideal where it is.
This is also where Loretta Lynn Grew up!!!

My Questions are:

What is closest; can you get to Butcher Hollow, KY. and still stay easily connected
(Some may call it Butcher Holler; KY.)

As far as:

Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the info. Some cell phones loose reception even here in Louisville. Just all depends what direction your facing, no joke. I am sure it is the same with the internet services too. So, how did the Hollars get their name~? Someone told me many years ago and I forgot.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:50 AM

11,012 posts, read 17,383,046 times
Quote:

My Questions are:

What is closest; can you get to Butcher Hollow, KY. and still stay easily connected

As far as:

I hate to tell you that aint Butcher Holler. Butcher Holler is in eastern Ky. This map shows it near Evansville, Indiana! The real Butcher Holler is near Van Lear, Ky.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Lear,_Kentucky

Check out the map.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times
Quote:

My Questions are:

As far as:

Butcher Holler, KY is in Eastern Kentucky towards West Virginia. The nearest "big" city is Prestonburg, Kentucky.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:24 PM

21,460 posts, read 12,568,166 times
Why would you want to move to Butcher Holler?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,573,484 times
The only way you can find out is to hear directly from someone who lives or has spent time in Butcher Hollow, and even then their answer probably won't do you any good because even a few hundred yards can make all the difference between decent satellite and cellphone and no satellite and cellphone at all.

Are you thinking in terms of coming to visit, or moving there? Butcher Hollow is just 2 or 3 miles from the town of Van Lear, which has a population of... mmm.... somewhere between 1000 and 2000 people. Right in that range. If you were to move to Van Lear, you would have a landline phone, so you might get DSL, but I don't know about cellphone. If you're coming to visit, all bets are off, because I don't think there's even a hotel there. In fact, I don't even know if there's a single business of any kind. It's just a strip of road that runs along the top of the ridgeline and has a cluster of houses and a couple of churches built up on the roadside. I mean, i spend a lot of time in the hills of eastern Kentucky, but that's about as far into the hills as you can get. Even I've never been up that deep.

Prestonsburg may be your best bet. It's about 10 miles from there, and is a little larger than Van Lear. That's about a 25 minute drive.

are you thinking of moving there because of the historical connection with Loretta Lynn and Crystal Gayle, or just looking for a place to get away from it all? Because believe me, if you're looking for a place to just get off the beaten path, you don't need to go anywhere near that deep into the hills. You can be a lot closer to a city and still lose yourself.

Trouble is, the terrain in that part of the country makes Afghanistan look like Kansas. Finding a rural area with connectivity is completely hit or miss. I have friends in the hills with good cell coverage, and their next door neighbor can never get a signal. Other friends where if you want to make a call you have to stand in the driveway, even then only a certain part of the driveway. And the only TV in most of those places is satellite dish. It's really rare that you will find broadcast TV reception, and any kind of high speed internet will probably have to be DSL - if you're lucky.

I've looked at properties up in the hills, and once found this map. Not sure if it's accurate or current, but maybe you'll find it helpful.

Kentucky Broadband Wireless ISPs : MAP of wireless Internet high speed in KY Kentucky ISP service coverage

Old 07-15-2016, 05:52 PM

I know Butcher Hollar is in Eastern Kentucky. I don't know where but know it is there as well as Prestonburg. I just didn't know how the Hollars (and there are numerous of them, I hear) got their name~? Are the roads there well-paved or are there one lane roads or bridges~? I think there are festivals up there isn't there~? I've never been there.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-15-2016 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Please be respectful of the area, it is a beautiful place and the people are very welcoming.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,415,933 times
Home - Paintsville Tourism

Butcher Holler (old homeplace of Loretta Lynn) Is in Van Lear, just south of Paintsville. The only two lane roads you will be on is after you leave Rt 23 and follow signs to Butcher Holler.

I am a bit further South on 23 in Pikeville..Lots to do and see here.

I am from Cincinnati/Dayton area and have lived here for many years and it really hurts me and other people here when people continue to stereotype us. Some, probably most of us, choose to live here, because we do not like the big city life

I have good Internet and Cable TV service, and am seldom out of range with my cell phone.

If you come on our front porches, most of us would more likely invite you in for supper.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-15-2016 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Removed direct response to deleted quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky