U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM

4,807 posts, read 8,128,500 times

Advertisements

Few people understand what my high school history teacher said, "Kentucky has more history than any other state in the union." After hiking Natural Bridge and the Red River Gorge, you will want to head back to Frankfort (state capital) and check out the Kentucky History Museum and then I would likely push you towards Bardstown to "My Old Kentucky Home" and then to Louisville probably to the Derby Museum and/or Slugger Museum. Beautiful drives too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM

6,753 posts, read 14,748,409 times
I think spring is sooo pretty here! The dogwoods, easter lillies, redbuds, bradford pears, etc etc are al in bloom, the sky is bluer it seems and the birds are singing.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM

24 posts, read 58,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think spring is sooo pretty here! The dogwoods, easter lillies, redbuds, bradford pears, etc etc are al in bloom, the sky is bluer it seems and the birds are singing.

That sounds so nice! I'm originally from Santa Barbara, CA which is reasonably green (for CA) and people landscape their yards very nicely, ect, but I'm living in San Diego right now, and it is dry shrubby brown, total coastal desert. Thanks for all of these suggestions! I appreciate it!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 PM

889 posts, read 1,963,057 times
Take in a tour of Woodford Reserve. It is in a beautiful setting. I don't even like Bourbon but after the tour I wished I did!
Raven Run is right outside of Lexington and is great for short hikes. There is a really pretty spot that ends at a cliff area overlooking the Ky River.
Joseph Beth Booksellers for a rainy day. It is consistently rated in the top 5 book stores in the nation. There's a nice cafe there as well.
You must go on a horse farm tour. There are several different companies.
I'm not sure if there is a Gallery Hop in April or not but if so that is lots of fun. You'll want to make hotel reservations well in advance as the hotels tend to fill up during Keeneland. The Gratz Park Inn is very nice and is downtown. This would put you within walking distance of nightlife and restaurants.
Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau has a monthly calendar of events.
Within town, close to campus, is the Arboretum. It should be beautiful in April. The gardens are amazing and there are over 2 miles of paved paths.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Take in a tour of Woodford Reserve. It is in a beautiful setting. I don't even like Bourbon but after the tour I wished I did!
Raven Run is right outside of Lexington and is great for short hikes. There is a really pretty spot that ends at a cliff area overlooking the Ky River.
Joseph Beth Booksellers for a rainy day. It is consistently rated in the top 5 book stores in the nation. There's a nice cafe there as well.
You must go on a horse farm tour. There are several different companies.
I'm not sure if there is a Gallery Hop in April or not but if so that is lots of fun. You'll want to make hotel reservations well in advance as the hotels tend to fill up during Keeneland. The Gratz Park Inn is very nice and is downtown. This would put you within walking distance of nightlife and restaurants.
Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau has a monthly calendar of events.
Within town, close to campus, is the Arboretum. It should be beautiful in April. The gardens are amazing and there are over 2 miles of paved paths.
I have to second that! As a matter of fact, just do the whole dang Bourbon trail!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:51 PM

46 posts, read 187,280 times
From what people here have told you, I think it is pretty obvious that it can't be done in a week. Heck, even I can't do all that in a week and I know that they have not done all this in a week(some of them are still working on some of the basic stuff).

Oh well, I guess that you'll just have to move in and do the fun stuff with the rest of us.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex2 View Post
From what people here have told you, I think it is pretty obvious that it can't be done in a week. Heck, even I can't do all that in a week and I know that they have not done all this in a week(some of them are still working on some of the basic stuff).

Oh well, I guess that you'll just have to move in and do the fun stuff with the rest of us.
I do alot of this stuff on the weekends myself. I want to see ALL of Kentucky and by golly I will!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 12,882,908 times
If you want leaves on the trees when you're here, that doesn't happen in KY until the 2nd/3rd week of April, depending on latitude.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM

70 posts, read 143,774 times
I have had friends fly into Kentucky from all over the U.S. and those who flew into Lexington couldn't stop talking about how much they LOVED flying in over Calumet Farm and Keeneland Race Course! They couldn't get over the beauty they experienced and talked about it for quite a while, lol

There are several different horse farm tours available in the Lexington area so be sure to make reservations to take advantage of one of these tours. During April there are many people who come into this area to experience Keeneland, The Kentucky Horse Park, The Kentucky Derby, etc....so it's a very good idea to have your reservations ahead of time.

If you truly love horses you have to devote one whole day to the Kentucky Horse Park. They have over 50 breeds and it's actually a working horse farm so it's a learning experience for all. It's also the home of Man-O-War's statue which sits above his grave. The walking tour through the museum is full of history regarding horses of all breeds. Check it out online and you'll see everything available there.

One other thing I would suggest is touring one of the distilleries in the area. There are several to choose from so pick one and check it out!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 PM

5,715 posts, read 12,882,908 times
Mammoth Cave is the longest cave system in the entire world. It is a National Park, with reasonable tour rates available year round.

Falls of the Ohio Intra-state park, located just across from Louisville, is home to the world's largest exposed fossil bed. You can walk out there among the fossils from late spring to early winter during the low water period.

Old Frankfort Pike (KY 1681) is considered one of the most scenic roads in the US. It extends for ~20 miles from Frankfort to near Downtown Lexington

Here are some photo stickys of KY
Lexington photo "sticky"
Louisville photo "sticky"
Rural KY photo "sticky"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky