U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 AM

11,971 posts, read 24,225,772 times

Advertisements

No matter where you're at violent crime is rarely random. Don't get involved in the drug trade and you shouldn't have a problem. Property crime is more random and varies a lot by location. A place with a tiny population could have a very high homicide rate one year if they have one murder, so I take such lists with a grain of salt.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 AM

16,225 posts, read 9,361,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I was surprised that Lexington wasn't on the list...I equate danger with the size of a city - and small towns are usually safe and big cities not so much, right? But evidently, maybe not so much.

I have to admit that I was surprised by the list though. (The author says she used data from the FBI website on crime statistics to do a comparison of the different crime rates.

In 2015 Newport made the list and was listed as the number one most dangerous places to live in Kentucky. (Once again Lexington was not on the list.) This article claims that it uses FBI statistics to determine the list also.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...s-in-kentucky/
I'm familiar with the way the original list was made. There is a website that uses that methodology exclusively to determine the amount of crime in a city. As you've stated, the larger the town or city it's almost guaranteed the number will be lower on a scale of 1-100, with a 100 score being the safest. The towns/cities listed in the original article all scored 8 or below on this scale. Lexington scores a 9 so it just barely escaped. Here are more examples to give you perspective.

Bardstown gets a 23
Danville gets a 24
Mayfield gets a 15
Elizabethtown gets a 13
Corbin gets a 15
Greenville gets a 91
Berea gets a 24
Georgetown gets a 19
Lawrenceburg gets a 81

There are other towns/cities that score very low but were not included in the list.
Paducah scores a 4 for example but was not included.

A score of 15 or above is actually pretty good and pretty hard to get using this method for any larger town. It doesn't take much crime to bring the score way down quickly. Also, I've noticed that this score can vary a great deal from year to year. Take it for whatever it's worth.

Last edited by marino760; 09-22-2016 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 10:18 AM

13,025 posts, read 6,686,896 times
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

^Yes, the data gets skewed because of size, up above is a crime comparison tool for one city vs another....you can only use medium or larger cities so I compared Lexington to NYC...and it says that Lexington has 1.9 times more crime than NYC!!!! What??? Obviously the crime rate here is no where near as high as New York City.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 AM

261 posts, read 239,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Versailles is normally a quiet, lovely little town - but there have been at least two particularly lurid murders in Versailles/ Woodford County in the last two or three years. Perhaps this has raised the community's rating...
It is a really a nice place have some friends there and its usually very safe. There was a horrific murder there about a year or so ago, i do not know if that has anything to do with the rating. The person who committed the terrible act was not a local he was from central Indiana.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,633,057 times
I liked that list.

One of the few that mentioned the more dangerous areas of every city on that list.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 23,671,859 times
Moderator cut: warning

Thread has drifted off topic into a political argument about gun control, please just discuss the op.

If you want to debate the issue of gun control in Ky and a search does not show one still open then start a new one

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky